Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > CAS Exam S
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

CAS Exam S Previously "CAS 3 - specific material" forum

Old 01-17-2018, 06:32 PM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Avery Mephistopheles

I'm sitting MAS-I this spring. I'm using TIA and ripped through sections A, B, and C already (those are all just review for me). Biggest changes (I didn't really read the syllabus changes) seemed to be the addition of simulation and Komolgorov-Smirnov from Exam C/4 and getting rid of some of the lesser tested-on subjects like continuous Markov chains and non-GLM tests (sign test, Wilcoxon signed ranked test, run test, rank correlation, etc).

I'll be spending a lot of time in sections D (Extended Linear Models) and E (Time Series).

One thing I'm not finding - D.1.0 used to be a GLM Overview which went through all the sections in D and gave weight to them based on how many questions had appeared on previous exams. There were several sections where Lee flat out said it's not worth your time unless you're really curious.

Maybe something like that isn't available since this is the first sitting of MAS-I, but weighting topics would be a good thing to know so I can allocate my study time appropriately.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:07 PM
Non-Actuary

College: Cornell

Iím still thinking about how much value I can add with a lesson like that, and Iíll revisit it as soon as I get the rest of the D lessons up.

The main piece of advice there was to first watch through all of the D lessons without spending too much time on the fine details, and that will still be the advice now.

For now, Iíd say go on to E, which is completely done (and mostly independent of D anyway), and plan to double back to D after.

MAS-I Seminar, TIA Learn IOS App
Old Yesterday, 05:38 PM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Avery Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathDoctorG View Post
Iím still thinking about how much value I can add with a lesson like that, and Iíll revisit it as soon as I get the rest of the D lessons up.

The main piece of advice there was to first watch through all of the D lessons without spending too much time on the fine details, and that will still be the advice now.

For now, Iíd say go on to E, which is completely done (and mostly independent of D anyway), and plan to double back to D after.
Thanks for the quick response, appreciated.