Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 04-18-2019, 02:25 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maphisto's Sidekick View Post
You might try networking through SOA functions. If you make your interest known to the right person, or if you hear of some interesting work being done that might inform your own research activities, there might be an opportunity there...although there will be a need to be mindful of trade secret concerns and intellectual property rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlnear View Post
OP, talk to your university's research liaison office or whatever they call it, and get an understanding of how they can help you structure corporate relationships for projects in a way that will help you achieve your goals. They should have some fill in the blank contracts, and will be able to put you in contact with other profs who do corporate partnerships and consulting under the university umbrella. It will still be on you to seek out specific opportunities to work with industry, but the university should be able to help you understand the process after you find a promising lead. They will want a cut, and if you are happy to remain on tenure track, you should be happy to let them have their pound of flesh. Terms can get better after you have tenure and have built some industry relationships.
Thank you both for the tips. I have attended a few SOA-sponsored research projects (either as PI or major participants). However, besides a couple phone conferences and a few emails back and forth with some project oversight group members, I hadn't got chances to further connect to people. I would definitely keep seeking opportunities with the SOA.

Talking to the university's research liaison office is actually a great idea. I would shoot them an email very soon to get more information from them.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:28 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinykuo View Post
Can you code?
Yes I have been coding for several years for research purpose, primarily with Matlab and R. I can do some basic stuffs with excel (used it in course works years ago and SOA modules, but not in research). I am learning Python as well.

However, I am not from a computer science major, so I assume my coding skills are nothing comparable to those professional programmers.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:33 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
So... you've got a PhD and you're almost a Fellow, and you have zero work experience?

My recommendation would be to stay in academia, try to find a role in a school that has an actuarial science track, and reach out to the SOA. Get involved with research, and growth of the field.
Correct... I took those exams because many actuarial programs are interested in hiring faculty members who can do research and also have professional credentials. It was not easy, but fortunately I have been through.

Indeed, I love my academic jobs (already in an actuarial science program). I just would like to make my research and teaching more ``meaningful'', i.e., up to date, practical, and more relevant.

Thanks for the advice. I would definitely keep seeking opportunities with the SOA.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:33 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
On the pension side there are several industry groups that regularly publish papers and there are research grants offered by a number of different "think tanks". I don't necessarily know how that works, but it might be a start.

I will also send you a PM because my agency occasionally writes white papers/does research that I think could benefit from having some input/help from an academic.
Thanks dude. I have left you a PM already.