Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:35 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrm57 View Post
Do you have a gauge for what percentage of people who pass P and FM actually become actuaries? I feel like it may be 50 at the absolute most.
What do you mean by actuary ? I dont consider someone an actuary unless they are credentialed (ASA or FSA).
Old 04-17-2019, 07:39 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fracktuary View Post
What do you mean by actuary ? I dont consider someone an actuary unless they are credentialed (ASA or FSA).
Working full-time as a student actuary(a lower bar).
Old 04-17-2019, 08:40 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
them's fightin' words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:58 PM
CAS

Quote:
i thought actuary meant fcas?
Old 04-20-2019, 01:06 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
People looking at your resume will wonder where the hell your college is. Be prepared to answer questions about your college. I don't consider it a red flag. If you don't know the mascot, that would be a red flag. Might ask for transcripts.

Number of exams passed is far more important than which college you attended or where you're from (as long as you have the greed card or citizenship) or what your degree is in (unless it's actuarial science, in which many managers expect three or more exams passed when you're knee-deep in knowledge).
well said
Taylor originally called his product "Taylor's Prepared Ham", but was forced to change the name after it failed to meet the new legal definition of "ham" established by the Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:27 PM
CAS

I won't claim to have done the following things when I was just starting out, but since the field is so competitive nowadays for people just starting out, I'll offer the following:

Read a few insurance periodicals and a few actuarial newsletters. What sorts of things seem important in insurance and to actuaries nowadays? Be prepared to ask an interviewer about a couple of them.

Google the particular company you are interviewing at and get their latest annual report to stockholders. What has this company done recently to make the news? What is the company president saying about the company in the stockholders report? Be prepared to ask an interviewer about a couple of them.

I think an interviewee would blow me away with a couple of really specific questions.

And by the way, if you went to an Ivy League college I'm impressed. If you went anywhere else, I have no valid way of forming an opinion of your school, even in my own state, so don't stress if you don't have an Ivy League diploma.