Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 04-22-2019, 04:07 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn Row View Post
My guess is HK.
Would be strange as I know for a fact that they are looking for people to help implement their new risk-based capital system in HK, which means ample opportunities.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:33 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenTheActuary View Post
Save as much as you can, once you have enough saved you can start doing the things you really enjoy.
This sounds like good advice, but from reading the OP he (she?) will never feel like they have enough saved up and never do what they enjoy at this rate.

the OP needs a radical change, maybe geography, maybe employment, maybe first a change in state of mind. Sounds like they are ready to make that change so that's good
Old 04-23-2019, 03:14 AM

Favorite beer: the closest one

Why are you so keen to be an actuary? If you hate it, and can't move from a location with limited opportunities, then maybe consider a different career?
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the North View Post
Excel gave me #VALUE.

Edit: Nevermind, I was linking a sumif and didn't open the linked spreadsheet. It is now giving me #N/A.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:24 AM
CAS

how is your life outside of work? do you feel lonely or depressed?

Do you think another job/profession would be the solution? if not, then try to work on the non-work related aspects of your life first if you think those are easier to fix.

Many people who hate their careers (and are unable to switch for one reason or another) have still led happy lives by prioritizing other aspects of their lives.

Good luck!
Old 04-23-2019, 11:10 PM

College: About to be a super senior

Where do you live? If you are going to sleep within an hour of going home, you are doing it wrong. You gotta dedicate all your energy into passing exams and job searching.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:35 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

I rarely recommend this but if your mental health is in jeopardy and you have the resources to do so, quit. In a spectacular fashion.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:56 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Sorry guys, seems this got lost in the mailbox. no I do not live in HK.

I have been trying to sit for an exam or do something productive but work is just sapping any of it away. I don't know why I feel so invisible at work. I think it's me in particular because my contract (which I am in no position to negotiate) allows me to be more easily fire-able. I feel like the cave troll of my team. I can't even, or haven't even opened up because there's just such a strong air of apathy here. You got fired aite lol... that's what it feels like. You're disposable here, no matter how much work you complete or have proven that you can handle. Maybe it's a company's size sometimes that can allow a lot of its employees to feel that way and still get by, because more will join once they leave. It's quite nightmarish beyond a point. I'm not sure if my manager is the reason for my feeling like this, or whether behavior that shitty is just a consequence of the climate here. It just sucks because every day I walk in thinking I've been wasted here for years and that's just going to continue.

Truth is while I've been looking around there's just not a spot open in the area I live in, and with the economy and uncertainties it may not be too wise to emigrate to any other place. So I'm stuck here. I'm not 30 but I very well feel like I will be in barely any time, and still in the same damn position. I feel like I posted this thread last week. This whole job is extremely tiring, but I've been trying to distract myself, I dunno running or drawing or shit like that. I can't leave though, even though I'm afraid they'll leave me.

I want to get advice from a few people around but over the past few months I've gotten paranoid of even talking about my job haha I really don't know who to approach.

Last edited by Willow Pine; 09-09-2019 at 03:00 PM..
Old 09-09-2019, 03:12 PM
SOA

Quit.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:14 PM
SOA

If I were in the position where I felt like I could be fired at any notice, I would probably come up with a plan for if/when I was fired. Then I'd probably get a head start on that plan and look to leave my job before they have a chance to fire me.

There's more to life than your job, so your life shouldn't be miserable because of your job. Look for alternatives, outside actuarial if you have to, and move on.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:27 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow Pine View Post
Sorry guys, seems this got lost in the mailbox. no I do not live in HK.

I have been trying to sit for an exam or do something productive but work is just sapping any of it away. I don't know why I feel so invisible at work. I think it's me in particular because my contract (which I am in no position to negotiate) allows me to be more easily fire-able. I feel like the cave troll of my team. I can't even, or haven't even opened up because there's just such a strong air of apathy here. You got fired aite lol... that's what it feels like. You're disposable here, no matter how much work you complete or have proven that you can handle. Maybe it's a company's size sometimes that can allow a lot of its employees to feel that way and still get by, because more will join once they leave. It's quite nightmarish beyond a point. I'm not sure if my manager is the reason for my feeling like this, or whether behavior that shitty is just a consequence of the climate here. It just sucks because every day I walk in thinking I've been wasted here for years and that's just going to continue.

Truth is while I've been looking around there's just not a spot open in the area I live in, and with the economy and uncertainties it may not be too wise to emigrate to any other place. So I'm stuck here. I'm not 30 but I very well feel like I will be in barely any time, and still in the same damn position. I feel like I posted this thread last week. This whole job is extremely tiring, but I've been trying to distract myself, I dunno running or drawing or shit like that. I can't leave though, even though I'm afraid they'll leave me.

I want to get advice from a few people around but over the past few months I've gotten paranoid of even talking about my job haha I really don't know who to approach.
Tough to give much advice without more specifics beyond < 30, outside of the US, bad job. How close are you to being credentialed? Do you have strong technical skills such that if you emigrated you wouldn't need to immediately work as an actuary?