Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Retirement Benefits Track > Design and Accounting Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Design and Accounting Exam Old Retirement Company/Sponsor Perspective (nation-specific) Forum

Old 05-03-2019, 09:59 AM
SOA

Studying for DA Exam
College: USF
Favorite beer: Free Beer

I felt much better about this sitting than the last one. I thought the questions were in line with my expectations. I predicted the need to mention the lack of a projection scale on the mortality assumption back in February. I also figured we would see questions on credibility, embedded options, and some fluffy public sector stuff. There was more than usual amount of ISA 19 questions, but I read the “Similarities and Difference” paper (DA-168-19) the day before the exam so it wasn’t too bad.

I agree that the forward and backward duration thing was annoying, but I felt good that I spotted the need to do that. It was otherwise a pretty routine accounting question.

For the Merger question, I recommend that they only merge the plans to avoid the additional funding. If they were to merge and do the buy-out (for Plan A retirees only), it would reduce the funded ratio to below the 80% threshold.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:01 AM
SOA

Studying for DA Exam

I also did not change my recommendation with the Buy-in, because I thought that they would still have to pay the annual premium with a Buy-In.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:31 AM
SOA

Interesting, I don't think I took into account that the funded status would decrease after the buyout (the combined funded percentage just squeaked over 80% right after combining the two plans).

Hopefully there weren't too many little things like this that I missed. There's so much analysis to do in such a short amount of time - hopefully partial credit pulls me through...
Old 05-03-2019, 10:43 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JdPActuary View Post
It seemed like a fair exam to me. For the settlement question, I assumed that the 9/30 buy-out retiree liability was calculated at 4%, so I adjusted that by dividing by 1.1. Then I backed it out of the total rolled forward amount, multiplied by 1.15 and added the 9/30 (unadjusted) retiree buy-out liability back in. I know what I got as an answer for the settlement amount because the calculations are still in my calculator's memory but not sure if it's OK to discuss #s until the exam is released.

What did people recommend for the question where you had to choose/justify between 3 alternatives of merging Plan A/Plan B and doing a retiree buyout? I think the options were basically do nothing, merge the plans w/o buyout, and merge the plans w/ buyout.

I recommended option iii (merge w/ buyout). My justification was basically that there would be no minimum funding requirement since combined plan would be 80% funded, reduced admin expenses (only one val required, one set of gov't forms, etc.), and the ongoing reduction in the insurance premiums. Hoping that as long as you chose a recommendation and stuck with/defended it you will get full points.

I felt really rushed but I think I managed to get the key points down for most questions. Tough to know where I stand though because this was my first fully written exam.

Agreed on the settlement, I rolled back the buy-out group liability before pulling it out and then brought the remainder forward and added back the amount given

The merged plan would have been <80% funded after the buy-out (since the Plan A retiree liability is out of the PBO and assets) for not a lot of savings in premiums so I said only merge. Not 100% there but I thought the buy-in question kind of implied this was the result we'd get it
Old 05-03-2019, 10:23 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Breckenridge Vanilla Porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prob4Fun View Post
I also did not change my recommendation with the Buy-in, because I thought that they would still have to pay the annual premium with a Buy-In.
I wasn't 100% sure where to go with this, but i did change my recommendation because the value of the buy-in contract would be held as an asset, so unlike with the buyout where the funded percentage fell way below 80%, the plan would remain over 80% in the buy-in scenario.....i think

Agree with everyone's comments on the settlement question, i didn't like that it wasn't explicitly clear what discount rate was used to value the buyout liabilities we were provided - i assumed they were at the new 4% rate, but i wish they'd have told us.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:32 AM
SOA

Studying for DA Exam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh393108 View Post
I wasn't 100% sure where to go with this, but i did change my recommendation because the value of the buy-in contract would be held as an asset, so unlike with the buyout where the funded percentage fell way below 80%, the plan would remain over 80% in the buy-in scenario.....i think

Agree with everyone's comments on the settlement question, i didn't like that it wasn't explicitly clear what discount rate was used to value the buyout liabilities we were provided - i assumed they were at the new 4% rate, but i wish they'd have told us.
I agree that the plan doesnít drop below 80% with the buy-in, but the stated goal of the buyout was to reduce the $500 premium. I assumed that the premium would not go away with the buy-in, although it wasnít stated one way or the other. Additionally, a buy-in is more expense than the plan keeping the liability (if all assumptions are met). Obviously, the benefit of the buy-in is the reduction of risk and lower volatility, but those didn't seem like the goals from my understanding.

I also assumed that 4% was the new discount rate. But now that you mention it, I donít that it was clearly stated. If that wasn't the case, I would imagine they would give credit for both approaches.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:43 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for nothing!

The exams have been posted

US AM: https://www.soa.org/globalassets/ass...au-exam-am.pdf
US PM: https://www.soa.org/globalassets/ass...au-exam-pm.pdf

Canada AM: https://www.soa.org/globalassets/ass...ac-exam-am.pdf
Canada PM:https://www.soa.org/globalassets/ass...ac-exam-pm.pdf

Last edited by CrispyCobb; 05-17-2019 at 10:46 AM..
Old 05-17-2019, 10:53 AM
Non-Actuary

Old 05-17-2019, 04:21 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prob4Fun View Post
For the Merger question, I recommend that they only merge the plans to avoid the additional funding. If they were to merge and do the buy-out (for Plan A retirees only), it would reduce the funded ratio to below the 80% threshold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnodin87 View Post
The merged plan would have been <80% funded after the buy-out (since the Plan A retiree liability is out of the PBO and assets) for not a lot of savings in premiums so I said only merge. Not 100% there but I thought the buy-in question kind of implied this was the result we'd get it
I definitely missed the detail that the buy-out was only for Plan A retirees. My analysis was based on a buy-out for all retirees, but I think my argument is still sound. I also recommended only merge.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:52 PM
SOA

Studying for DA Exam

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCobb View Post
I definitely missed the detail that the buy-out was only for Plan A retirees. My analysis was based on a buy-out for all retirees, but I think my argument is still sound. I also recommended only merge.
I wouldn't worry much about that. It's the same result either way. I'm sure we all missed something. Like for question 7(b), I failed to mention ASOP 41 that provides guidance for this situation. Also for 13(b), I only wrote the words "hurdle mortality and hurdle discount rate" but didn't bother to explain them.

There too much information, but even looking at the exam now, I think it was a fair test. I say that until I see the solutions.