Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 05-13-2019, 10:09 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modigliani-Miller View Post
Thanks! I have definitely thought about asking the data science team that question. But, on the other hand, I feel what I learned from the PA exam is not nearly enough for doing data science work and I'm afraid my actuarial skills will not be valued in the DS team.
It's probably not enough, you would need to learn on the job and on your own time, just like everyone else. Are you up for that?

While they may not realize they appreciate your "actuarial skills" they should appreciate your industry knowledge and your analytical approach to solving problems, whether or not they realize they are appreciating your actuarial skills or not. This may be a sticky issue when you ask them to pay exam fees or society dues, but aside from that they will just think you are awesome (if you are).

If you are straying out of your groove it will take courage and confidence. Decide for yourself if that's what you want.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostess View Post
as a followup, what is the difference between predicitive analytics and modelling? is one predictive whereas the other is inferential?
The term “modeling” is really vague. For instance, you might build optimization models that aren’t predictive or inferential.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
Spoiler:
The most important thing I have learned from the career forum is that the gurus in this field and keepers of supreme knowledge regarding all matters pertaining to the actuarial profession are unlettered actuarial students with < 5 years of experience.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:09 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow View Post
It's probably not enough, you would need to learn on the job and on your own time, just like everyone else. Are you up for that?

While they may not realize they appreciate your "actuarial skills" they should appreciate your industry knowledge and your analytical approach to solving problems, whether or not they realize they are appreciating your actuarial skills or not. This may be a sticky issue when you ask them to pay exam fees or society dues, but aside from that they will just think you are awesome (if you are).

If you are straying out of your groove it will take courage and confidence. Decide for yourself if that's what you want.
No support/raise for exams is definitely one of my concerns.

The other thing is I don't know how to start that conversation. I mean should I schedule a 30 mins talk with the manager in DS team, or, maybe wait for the opportunity to bump into him in the lobby and have a little chat? Can people share your experience please?
Old 05-14-2019, 12:18 PM

Do you know anybody on the DS team? If yes, I'd just ask them to lunch. People are often nervous about imposing or whatever - most likely they will be pleased and flattered that you think enough of them to ask about what they're doing. I've had people tell me "Oh, I barely know them" - if there's anybody at all on the DS team that knows you well enough to call you by name, ask them to lunch.

Email, passing in the hallway, or at the end of a meeting that you both happened to be at - I'd just say to anybody on the DS team "Hey, I want to know more about what your team is doing - for professional development reasons I wish I understood the technical pieces better, and for work reasons I wish I understood the business directives you're working on better. Would you be up for maybe grabbing lunch sometime and talking to me about what you're doing?"

If you don't know them, then same thing, but want to be a little more introductory - here's who I am, here's why I'm contacting you.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:39 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

To add to what Westley posted:

Does your company have a mentoring program? If so, you might also leverage that for a "short-term" mentoring relationship.

Also, don't "wait for something to happen." Set a time frame to see if something turns up organically. Otherwise, commit to sending an email to a manager and ask if he/she or someone on their team would be willing to visit with you about their area and their work.

Why should I worry about dying? It’s not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 05-16-2019, 09:20 PM
SOA

Thank you for your suggestions, Westley and Vorian Atreides!

Tags
data science, machine learning, pred. anal.