Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:38 AM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostess View Post
Wow thats pretty surprising to me. My friend (whos an accounting major) was so happy to get an offer at a Big 4 firm, and when I asked him how much he said 65k. I thought accountants just made peanuts out of college.
They gotta feed that elephant in the closet.

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 05-14-2019, 04:46 PM

College: About to be a super senior

Damnn Is Pru still doing this?
Old 05-14-2019, 04:49 PM

College: About to be a super senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
Top-level consulting is either WTW or Milliman. I would stay far, far away as an EL. Also, they make profit hand over fist, and can afford a plane ticket if their consultants charge $500/hour.

I know 'getting a job' is great but you have to live that job too. WTW (100%) and (depends on the practice) Milliman are not necessarily kind to EL. You're the organ grinder that's making it rain for the higher ups, more work and not the money to show for it.
Reminds me of a time I was interested in applying at a WTW office in one of the big actuarial markets. I searched on the CAS directory and found like 20 people there. only like 3 people were credentialed out of the 20. I got an impression that its hard to pass exams there to say the least.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:00 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: Pilsner Urquell

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostess View Post
Let’s say a company invites you in for an on-site but won’t pay for your travel. Let’s say that a flight would be necessary and you being a student, dont wanna fork out 200 dollars and ask for a video interview.

Would this look negatively on you as a candidate when other candidates are going onsite. The other candidates are all local so the candidates can pay for their own travel accommodations (cheap public transport).

Asking for a friend. Should my friend fork out the 200 bucks and fly over for an interview which may or may not even lead to an offer? Or will most people be understanding enough to not look down on a video interview?
I went out of pocket for travel about 7 years ago when I was considering transitioning from actuarial to underwriting. I do believe I shouldn't have had to do that but I was interested in the job. Similarly it was a big company and they had enough local candidates that they couldn't justify travel (especially for EL actuary -> underwriting). They did offer to do a video interview but I felt I could make a stronger impression by committing to do the final round in person.

It must have looked favourably that I was committed enough to go out of pocket (be careful to avoid desperate). And I also turned it into a good weekend trip.

Summary - I don't think you should have to do it. It is a sign of a red flag. Certain situations this behaviour could be excusable. $200 is a low fee (even for students) for the chance at a good job (presuming it is). And IMO video chat is a disadvantage to interviewing in person.

C1 C2 1 2 3F 3L 4 5 6
Old 05-15-2019, 10:32 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjacjswo View Post
Reminds me of a time I was interested in applying at a WTW office in one of the big actuarial markets. I searched on the CAS directory and found like 20 people there. only like 3 people were credentialed out of the 20. I got an impression that its hard to pass exams there to say the least.
They mostly don't want to pay for credentialed people. The pay there is terribad at the higher end. Milliman at least has a good/fair bonus structure.