Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam PA: Predictive Analytics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 05-14-2019, 04:40 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjPim View Post
1. and 2. are slightly different if running in .rmd inside chunks rather than R script, I forgot to mention.

Can you share your code or a reproducible example? It may be one of your chunk options like someone else mentioned.
Any RMD file that was provided throughout the modules would be an example. Specifically right now I am reviewing the "SampleProjectSolution.rmd" file and chuck 2 has 3 plots in it. So When I run it, I get a pop up window showing only the last plot. The "Plots" section of the original screen is blank.

It's happened throughout all the modules so I don't think it has to do with the code, but the code chunks provided to us look like:

```{r}
<code>
```

I'm thinking it is some type of setting within RStudio.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:28 AM
SOA

College: Drake '17

Does anyone have a good explanation for when to use hierarchical clustering as opposed to k-means clustering?
Old 05-15-2019, 03:02 PM
SOA

Question about variable selection with binarized categorical variables. Spoilered because references solution to latest sample project, in case you haven't done it yet.

Spoiler:

One of the parameters in caret::dummyVars is fullRank, where TRUE sets a base level and FALSE explicitly lists out all levels. I figured if I was going to binarize Race, which has 4 levels, then do stepAIC to possibly remove some levels but not the whole variable, then I would need to have all 4 levels listed out, right?

In the solution they put fullRank = FALSE at first, so I thought I was on the right track, but then they manually take out the base levels for each of the variables. Is this normal / necessary? If I have RaceWhite, RaceBlack, RaceHispanic, and RaceOthers, and RaceWhite is set to base, then getting 0, 0, 0, would imply the race is white. If stepAIC removes both RaceBlack and RaceOthers, then getting a 0 on RaceHispanic might be indicating White but could also be indicating Black/Others, and I would think I'd need to have somewhere that my model mentions if White is significant or not. Is it already taken into account? Does keeping all 4 indicators without a base mess something up? Halp.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:21 PM
SOA

College: Illinois State University
Favorite beer: Lagunitas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolkid22 View Post
Does anyone have a good explanation for when to use hierarchical clustering as opposed to k-means clustering?
I think the modules said hierarchical clustering gives you a sense of which variables are closely related but if you wanted to create a feature that could be used as a predictor, you want to use k-means clustering in place of those other variables.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:30 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjPim View Post
Question about variable selection with binarized categorical variables. Spoilered because references solution to latest sample project, in case you haven't done it yet.

In the solution they put fullRank = FALSE at first, so I thought I was on the right track, but then they manually take out the base levels for each of the variables. Is this normal / necessary? If I have RaceWhite, RaceBlack, RaceHispanic, and RaceOthers, and RaceWhite is set to base, then getting 0, 0, 0, would imply the race is white. If stepAIC removes both RaceBlack and RaceOthers, then getting a 0 on RaceHispanic might be indicating White but could also be indicating Black/Others, and I would think I'd need to have somewhere that my model mentions if White is significant or not. Is it already taken into account? Does keeping all 4 indicators without a base mess something up? Halp.
My thoughts:
The purpose of the glm is to estimate coefficients for the predictors. The reason there is the reference level concept is mainly for interpretability. Prediction wise, it wouldn't matter if you kept all 4, or picked a different reference level because the estimated coefficients would account for that.

If you keep white ppl as the base level, then the coefficient for other races can be used to directly see how the prediction would change if the person was black instead of white (reference). Imagine if you kept all 4 of the binarized variables; then how could you interpret the coefficients?

So the initial model would have Black, Hispanic, and Other. Then if stepAIC removed Black and Other, it just means that the jump from White to Black or White to Other doesn't have a statistically significant impact on the prediction.

Last edited by TranceBrah; 05-15-2019 at 04:34 PM..
Old 05-16-2019, 09:16 AM
SOA

College: Illinois State University
Favorite beer: Lagunitas

Just realized there's no cheat sheets this sitting. IMO they didn't help much anyways
Old 05-16-2019, 09:24 AM
SOA

Thoughts on the slight changes to the exam format?
Old 05-16-2019, 11:39 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeenasaurus View Post
Just realized there's no cheat sheets this sitting. IMO they didn't help much anyways
Agreed. All SOA 'solutions' graph the most basic things anyway, not much of a need to get creative. I think adding a +labs() on the plots will be perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActuariallyDecentAtBest View Post
Thoughts on the slight changes to the exam format?
90% of me likes it for the structure and more clear point system. I took the sample project and pretty well with it (IMO), but the other 10% of me is a little salty about needing to go back and refresh on more theory / less common material because it's a lot more likely it will get thrown in.

At least there's less writing now, so I won't spend 2 hours rushing to remember to note every single thing. A lot easier to write everything I'm thinking about each point, especially since they say "do these problems in order".
Old 05-16-2019, 12:20 PM
SOA

College: Oklahoma State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeenasaurus View Post
I forgot they were even there.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:36 PM
SOA

College: Towson University

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolkid22 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tuuc9Y06tAc