Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:24 PM

Default Job Prospects in San Francisco Area

Hi,
I am looking to change fields and considering becoming an actuary. I like numbers and working with data. I could tackle the stats. However before I start putting money and time for the tests, I was wondering if people knew what the local job prospects for actuaries was in the SF Bay Area. I would like to stay local ( roughly a 25 mi radius of SF). One friend of friend says there's not much because no big insurance companies are based in SF, and that I would likely have to move to find actuarial work. Is that the case ? I'm open to work outside insurance. Responses from SF locals is especially valued.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:55 PM

I'm in the SF area and I think there are a lot of employment opportunities for actuary here. I'm entry-level, and I got interviews more than I expected given it's already late in March.
Mercer, Towers Watson, Aon, Altman & Cronin, Milliman, Bulk Consultant, AAA, etc
Old 03-27-2011, 04:57 PM
CAS SOA COPA

Favorite beer: Westmalle Tripel

Fireman's Fund in Novato
Applied Underwriters (Berkshire Hathaway company) in Foster City
Old 03-28-2011, 08:16 AM

I used to work in the Bay Area.

For insurance companies, you can look into Kaiser, Blueshield, Fireman's fund, and PMI.

For consulting, you can look into Towers Watson, Mercer, Aon (Hewitt), Oliver Wyman.

Mind you most of the opportunities in Bay Area are either health insurance companies or health/benefit/pension consulting. If you just want to stick around in the Bay Area and not move then it would be fine. I ended up moved onto another company becuase getting experience in health/pension did not fit my long term goal.

Good Luck and you can PM me if you want to know more.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:53 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Newcastle - Brown Ale rules

Based on my experience during job search (I'm talking about people with some experience), every single employer has the following attributes:

-Pay sucks (yes, I'm talking about nominal annual salaries), usually no more than $60K for entry-level or junior analysts.
-Hiring managers are complete @$$holes with attitude, not to mention egos.
-Competitions are so brutal that you'll be lucky to even make it to on-site interview as there are so many people looking for work.

The same can be said about SoCal to a lesser extent, although not much better.

My advice? Get the h&ll out of CAL if you want to have any decent prospect of landing a job, did I mention CALCAS is moving to Colorado, their entry level pay is below $50K.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofan View Post
-Pay sucks (yes, I'm talking about nominal annual salaries), usually no more than $60K for entry-level or junior analysts.
How does that salary "suck" for entry level? What do you think analysts should be paid? 100k?
Old 04-01-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismal Science View Post
How does that salary "suck" for entry level? What do you think analysts should be paid? 100k?
Overall I have to agree with the questions posed, but I think the key is "nominal" salary. At 60k this person would have to commute about 2 hours to afford a studio apartment (or live with parents?). I know--"see the billion threads on NO cost of living adjustment in this profession."
Old 04-01-2011, 10:20 AM
CAS

Favorite beer: ice ice baby

60k is more than enough to afford a studio apartment. The question is if you want to have any savings
Old 04-01-2011, 05:48 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Newcastle - Brown Ale rules

I need to point out that the key word "Nominal". If others places are offering 60K as average, Bay Areas' employers will offer 50K - 55K. Even with such salaries, they can still get a lot of desperate souls begging for work and willing to put in 80 hours a week. When you adjust the COL in SF, it's substantially lower, not to mention insane income taxe rates. The whole state is so ****ed up.

When I visited SF, the cheapest place I saw was like $1000 for a studio in Tenderloin. Everything else goes up by big margins.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:55 PM

Favorite beer: Tiger

Quote:
Even with such salaries, they can still get a lot of desperate souls begging for work and willing to put in 80 hours a week.
I don't understand what people are complaining about.
Salaries don't reflect the COL adjustment. We already know it. It's been discussed in this bboard over and over again.

You want to live in one of the most beautiful areas of the country, you
pay for it. If you don't want to pay, you move and live somewhere else. Simple.

Quote:
When I visited SF, the cheapest place I saw was like $1000 for a studio in Tenderloin. Everything else goes up by big margins.
You get robbed in Tenderloin.
I know somebody who has a studio in North Beach and pays $800 per month.

Tags
jobs, san francisco