Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 04-02-2011, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeSucks View Post
I don't understand what people are complaining about.
Salaries don't reflect the COL adjustment. We already know it. It's been discussed in this bboard over and over again.

You want to live in one of the most beautiful areas of the country, you
pay for it. If you don't want to pay, you move and live somewhere else. Simple.
It's amazing to me how people from places like SF or NY have a hard time understanding this. A company has to pay in terms of what you produce, not how much it costs you to live.

They should also realize that a lot of the high COL is completely preventable. A big issue in San Francisco is both high taxes and the restrictions on development. If builders could build in SF and NYC to actually meet demand, then the COL would come down a lot.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:36 AM
SOA CCA AAA

If you don't have experience in actuarial field and passed a couple exams, I would advise you not to waste your time. The Bay Area is saturated with Stanford and UC Berkeley graduates that you would have to go against with. Most employers are dumb. They usually go for the big school name tag first unless it is referral.

Otherwise, there are quite of actuarial employers in the area. From small to large. If you have the experience and exams, I don't see why not. Also, if you're from one of those Ivy League, you have a chance to compete with Blue and Red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisfs View Post
Hi,
I am looking to change fields and considering becoming an actuary. I like numbers and working with data. I could tackle the stats. However before I start putting money and time for the tests, I was wondering if people knew what the local job prospects for actuaries was in the SF Bay Area. I would like to stay local ( roughly a 25 mi radius of SF). One friend of friend says there's not much because no big insurance companies are based in SF, and that I would likely have to move to find actuarial work. Is that the case ? I'm open to work outside insurance. Responses from SF locals is especially valued.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:39 AM
SOA CCA AAA

your long term goal is making lots of money and not have to spend too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_halo View Post
I used to work in the Bay Area.

For insurance companies, you can look into Kaiser, Blueshield, Fireman's fund, and PMI.

For consulting, you can look into Towers Watson, Mercer, Aon (Hewitt), Oliver Wyman.

Mind you most of the opportunities in Bay Area are either health insurance companies or health/benefit/pension consulting. If you just want to stick around in the Bay Area and not move then it would be fine. I ended up moved onto another company becuase getting experience in health/pension did not fit my long term goal.

Good Luck and you can PM me if you want to know more.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:49 PM

Favorite beer: Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyb3rT3k View Post
. The Bay Area is saturated with Stanford and UC Berkeley graduates that you would have to go against with.
But I didn't meet many Stanford/Berkeley grads who became actuaries.

Plus I thought that in this business, all that matters is the # exams passed, not the school you went to.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:12 PM
SOA CCA AAA

But I do meet a lot of them and there are plenty in my firm.

It's true that # of exams is most important, but when everybody applying for entry level has 2 to 3 exams passed (those with 1 exam or less don't even get their resume to be looked at), the next thing they look for is school name and gpa.

Once you have experience, school names don't really matter anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeSucks View Post
But I didn't meet many Stanford/Berkeley grads who became actuaries.

Plus I thought that in this business, all that matters is the # exams passed, not the school you went to.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:28 PM
CAS SOA COPA

Favorite beer: Westmalle Tripel

Quote:
Once you have experience, school names don't really matter anymore.
If your school has a lot of alums in the area you're looking, more power to you.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:44 PM
SOA

I was searching for some EL advices specific to the SF Bay Area and came across this old thread. Are these still true?
Appreciate any insights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofan View Post
Based on my experience during job search (I'm talking about people with some experience), every single employer has the following attributes:

-Pay sucks (yes, I'm talking about nominal annual salaries), usually no more than $60K for entry-level or junior analysts.
-Competitions are so brutal that you'll be lucky to even make it to on-site interview as there are so many people looking for work.

The same can be said about SoCal to a lesser extent, although not much better.

My advice? Get the h&ll out of CAL if you want to have any decent prospect of landing a job, did I mention CALCAS is moving to Colorado, their entry level pay is below $50K.
Quote:
If you don't have experience in actuarial field and passed a couple exams, I would advise you not to waste your time. The Bay Area is saturated with Stanford and UC Berkeley graduates that you would have to go against with. Most employers are dumb. They usually go for the big school name tag first unless it is referral.

Otherwise, there are quite of actuarial employers in the area. From small to large. If you have the experience and exams, I don't see why not. Also, if you're from one of those Ivy League, you have a chance to compete with Blue and Red.

Last edited by avocado; 05-14-2019 at 01:37 AM..
Old 04-18-2019, 07:58 PM
SOA

College: Yep
Favorite beer: Sweetwater Blue

Stanford grads don’t become actuaries.

Pay still sucks. Yea, school does matter.

Competition is intense in any place worth living.

Physical violence as acceptable reaction or outdated masculine bravado as a positive quality is definitely not something the country should be moving towards or qualities we want to see in a President.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:35 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivamS View Post
Stanford grads donít become actuaries.
Phew!
Old 04-18-2019, 10:21 PM

College: About to be a super senior

I think there are lots of Berkeley people. Entry level pay should be higher than 60k nowadays.

Tags
jobs, san francisco