Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:27 PM
CAS

Studying for 7

My guess is the majority of Bay Area actuaries are Berkeley grads.

With the advent of Uber and Lyft as well as some insurtech companies there has been growth on the P&C side for actuaries. Due to some insurtech companies getting enough experience and large enough I would say there are currently good growth prospects on the P&C side. Some tech companies that do some self insurance are also starting to bring actuaries on such as Waymo and AirBnB.

My feeling is that traditional insurers in the area like CalCas and Esurance still don't pay nearly enough to live well in SF but total compensation in tech companies and insurtech startups is quite competitive within the actuarial world. I've heard there is a lot of competition for these types of jobs.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:30 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

I've been getting a lot of Bay Area carrots being dangled my way by people on the inside (not random recruiters), at a few multiples of my salary. Looks like they are willing to relocate people as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:51 PM
SOA

Thanks everyone for your inputs. I see that there are more opportunities in P&C here. I'm actually looking for EL positions in health though (because of my work experience and I've only taken SOA exams). Looks like I'm doomed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
I've been getting a lot of Bay Area carrots being dangled my way by people on the inside (not random recruiters), at a few multiples of my salary. Looks like they are willing to relocate people as well.
Will you take it?
Old 04-19-2019, 01:27 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivamS View Post
Stanford grads don’t become actuaries.

Pay still sucks. Yea, school does matter.

Competition is intense in any place worth living.

i have experience with the SF market so PM if you want more tailored advice. But yes, the majority of students tend to be berkeley students and act sci majors returning home.

Pay is alright... probably above average to rest of the profession but below average when compared to other jobs in the area (mostly tech).

I had an offer for 28/hour + possible billable hours bonus from a somewhat well known firm in the SF area about 2 years ago so that could give you an idea of the pay (but n=1) .... There are quite a few positions out of downtown SF as well (CSAA in walnut creek being the largest one, but I heard the pay sucks there).

Anyway what I learned is that berkeley students are willing to take a huge paycut to work in SF so companies don't adjust to COL (not that they have to in the first place)...
Old 04-19-2019, 02:00 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostess View Post
Anyway what I learned is that berkeley students are willing to take a huge paycut to work in SF so companies don't adjust to COL (not that they have to in the first place)...
Thanks for sharing, it's good to know who I'm up against. Although that makes me feel my chance is getting smaller and smaller...

I also PMed you.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:12 PM
SOA AAA

Seems the companies there are finding people who can live on the "low" salary. Mainly, people with family so rent costs will be lower.

If you are not one of them, then too bad for you. They're not going to change their salary scale.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:17 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Seems the companies there are finding people who can live on the "low" salary. Mainly, people with family so rent costs will be lower.

If you are not one of them, then too bad for you. They're not going to change their salary scale.
I'm actually one of them. I'll make sure to let them know that when I'm applying.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:30 PM
SOA AAA

They probably don't have to know. If anything, they'll keep your salary down forever.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:13 PM
CAS

Studying for FCAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post

How does having a family lower rent?
Old 04-19-2019, 04:09 PM
CAS

Multiple incomes

Tags
jobs, san francisco