Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 12-02-2018, 08:38 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transitive Tangerine View Post
>unsexy

author clearly didn't interview any p&c actuaries imo
Old 12-03-2018, 11:30 AM
SOA

Not sure if anyone at Riot Games should be calling something sexy or unsexy given the circumstances...

https://mashable.com/article/riot-ga.../#Zy0y899YbaqC

Quote:
According to employees who spoke to Kotaku, the 12-year-old company behind League of Legends has a certain idea of the kind of employees it wants: dedicated gamers. Unfortunately, as we've seen in the broader tech industry, men in power tend not to consider women to be as serious about this stuff as they are, no matter how passionate they actually are about gaming or tech at large.

This seems to be the case at Riot Games, where one anonymous woman was grilled on her knowledge of games in an hour-long interview, asked to pull out obscure details to prove she wasn't faking it, she told Kotaku.

Another female Riot Games employee who went by the name Lacy told Kotaku that she had a difficult time hiring women at the company, and a common excuse was that they just weren't a good fit. According to data obtained by Kotaku, Riot Games' staff is 80% male.

One day, Lacy conducted an experiment: After an idea she really believed in fell flat during a meeting, she asked a male colleague to present the same idea to the same group of people days later. He was skeptical, but she insisted that he give it a shot. “Lo and behold, the week after that, [he] went in, presented exactly as I did and the whole room was like, ‘Oh my gosh, this is amazing.’ [His] face turned beet red and he had tears in his eyes,” said Lacy. “They just didn’t respect women.”
Old 12-03-2018, 11:35 AM

Studying for EA-2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieSanders2016 View Post
Not sure if anyone at Riot Games should be calling something sexy or unsexy given the circumstances...

https://mashable.com/article/riot-ga.../#Zy0y899YbaqC
interesting. have heard that about the gaming community. sounds pretty unsexy to me. i'll stick to the less misogynistic actuarial world.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:53 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
interesting. have heard that about the gaming community. sounds pretty unsexy to me. i'll stick to the less misogynistic actuarial world.
Yeah, of all the industries they could've used as an example of one with good branding/image, gaming was probably the worst choice they could've made.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:37 PM
SOA

Quote:
Yeah, of all the industries they could've used as an example of one with good branding/image, gaming was probably the worst choice they could've made.
When I worked at Riot, about half the women I met were really knowledgeable about League and into games, the other half seem like they didn't play games seriously at home. However, 90% of the men I met were hardcore gamers.

Not sure if there's really sexism in the hiring process.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:51 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jominican View Post
When I worked at Riot, about half the women I met were really knowledgeable about League and into games, the other half seem like they didn't play games seriously at home. However, 90% of the men I met were hardcore gamers.

I don't want to minimize anyone who actually went through those problems as I have no reason to doubt the accusations. However, within the areas that I work at the company, I have not noticed anything that was concerning. I've been under the impression that most of the stories brought to light were from the early years of a startup culture, which doesn't seem uncommon.

I will say I have been amazed by the recent movements to help combat prejudice on all fronts at Riot. The material and classes that have been mandatory across the company are top-tier, whereas the yearly "diversity" slideshow I would watch at all my previous companies just felt like a hoop-jumping exercise.

I've been fortunate enough to experience multiple work environments when it comes to diversity & inclusion and even though there is always room for improvement, Riot is much better than any of the other places I have worked. It isn't even close.

But is a reporter going to throw a rock at an insurance company? Or would they rather set their sights on the likes of Snapchat, Google, Netflix, or Facebook? Even though the problem is at societal level, instead of company level, what makes the better story?

-Riley
Old 12-03-2018, 02:56 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jominican View Post

:chefkissesfingers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoanonstop View Post
I don't want to minimize anyone who actually went through those problems as I have no reason to doubt the accusations. However, within the areas that I work at the company, I have not noticed anything that was concerning. I've been under the impression that most of the stories brought to light were from the early years of a startup culture, which doesn't seem uncommon.

-Riley
I don't want to minimize anyone [insert 4 paragraph rant talking about how Riot is a terrific place that these things couldn't have happened at].

Last edited by BernieSanders2016; 12-03-2018 at 02:59 PM..
Old 12-03-2018, 03:01 PM
CAS

Quote:
:chefkissesfingers:

I don't want to minimize anyone [insert 4 paragraph rant talking about how Riot is a terrific place that these things couldn't have happened at].
I dont think thats what he did.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:02 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fracktuary View Post
I dont think thats what he did.
He literally ends his post blaming journalists for covering systemic sexual harassment at the company.

Also, he blames "startup culture" for the sexual harassment, not the individuals at Riot that did the harassing. It's ridiculous.

https://kotaku.com/inside-the-cultur...mes-1828165483

Last edited by BernieSanders2016; 12-03-2018 at 03:09 PM..
Old 12-03-2018, 03:15 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Quote:
He literally ends his post blaming journalists for covering systemic sexual harassment at the company.

Also, he blames "startup culture" for the sexual harassment, not the individuals at Riot that did the harassing. It's ridiculous.
You're allowed to believe me or not, but I meant every word I said. Could you point out the line where I said certain individuals were not problematic? I'm definitely not arguing that there weren't problematic individuals or that all of those problems have been removed.

-Riley