Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 04-16-2019, 02:25 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
You're likely at a disadvantage, but not for the reason you seem to be implying. You're at a disadvantage because there are a LOT of actuaries in the US who are already citizens, and there's a lot of competition. Your problem would likely be getting hired in the first place. You'd want a company willing to sponsor you for citizenship (I assume), and it will be incredibly difficult to get through the job posting phase to prove that there are no sufficiently qualified citizen candidates for the position. You might not even find an employer willing to provide legal support for a work visa.

One strategy, if this is your goal, would be to focus on smaller areas, in less populous states. Especially if there aren't any feeder schools in the vicinity. That way, there are less likely to be many applicants to compete against. Then you might have some possibility of making it through the posting phase, but there's still no guarantee.
I'm currently waiting for my green card and plan to apply once I have it so that sponsorship will not be an issue. I have a family so moving is a bit difficult, but in case I can't get any EL position within 2-3 months of trying, I'll definitely consider moving to other areas.

So back to my question, do you imply that having a non-US degree is not a major disadvantage? I've been taking exams while waiting for the green card - hopefully that will make me a bit more competitive.

Last edited by avocado; 05-14-2019 at 01:38 AM..
Old 04-16-2019, 03:37 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocado View Post
So back to my question, do you imply that having a non-US degree is not a major disadvantage?
People looking at your resume will wonder where the hell your college is. Be prepared to answer questions about your college. I don't consider it a red flag. If you don't know the mascot, that would be a red flag. Might ask for transcripts.
Quote:
I've been taking exams while waiting for the green card - hopefully that will make me a bit more competitive (I'm taking the 5th exam in a few months).
Number of exams passed is far more important than which college you attended or where you're from (as long as you have the greed card or citizenship) or what your degree is in (unless it's actuarial science, in which many managers expect three or more exams passed when you're knee-deep in knowledge).
Old 04-16-2019, 05:10 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Number of exams passed is far more important than which college you attended or where you're from (as long as you have the greed card or citizenship) or what your degree is in (unless it's actuarial science, in which many managers expect three or more exams passed when you're knee-deep in knowledge).
This is reassuring to know. I hope that with 4-5 exams and the (little) experience I have as an actuarial analyst in my home country, I will have a chance to land an EL job here. I've read so many posts on AO and reddit on how crazily competitive the EL market is at the moment, but I guess I'd rather spend time improving myself as a candidate than worry about whether I'd make the cut or not.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:44 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Whisky

Quote:
I'm currently waiting for my green card and plan to apply once I have it so that sponsorship will not be an issue. I have a family so moving is a bit difficult, but in case I can't get any EL position within 2-3 months of trying, I'll definitely consider moving to other areas.
That negates any concern about work authorization! Well Done!

Quote:
So back to my question, do you imply that having a non-US degree is not a major disadvantage? I've been taking exams while waiting for the green card - hopefully that will make me a bit more competitive (I'm taking the 5th exam in a few months).
It will vary by employer, but with 4+ exams passed, I think you'd be okay. YMMV.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:47 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
This is reassuring to know. I hope that with 4-5 exams and the (little) experience I have as an actuarial analyst in my home country, I will have a chance to land an EL job here. I've read so many posts on AO and reddit on how crazily competitive the EL market is at the moment, but I guess I'd rather spend time improving myself as a candidate than worry about whether I'd make the cut or not.
Very good strategy. Focus on interviewing skills, being able to sell yourself, etc. It would probably benefit you to be able to position your work outside the country as a benefit to your hiring company - you bring broad exposure, diversity, experience with something different. Find a way to make that a selling point that differentiates you form other candidates.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:27 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
Very good strategy. Focus on interviewing skills, being able to sell yourself, etc. It would probably benefit you to be able to position your work outside the country as a benefit to your hiring company - you bring broad exposure, diversity, experience with something different. Find a way to make that a selling point that differentiates you form other candidates.
Definitely a good advice - I'll keep that in mind. And your words have been encouraging, thank you
Old 04-16-2019, 06:31 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Definitely a good advice - I'll keep that in mind. And your words have been encouraging, thank you
Very welcome!
Old 04-16-2019, 10:51 PM
CAS

So the takeaway is that while exams are important, they are no guarantee of anything.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:38 PM
CAS SOA

College: State

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrm57 View Post
So the takeaway is that while exams are important, they are no guarantee of anything.
Yes. Nothing is guaranteed. But some things sure do help.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:29 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrovertedactuary View Post
Yes. Nothing is guaranteed. But some things sure do help.
Do you have a gauge for what percentage of people who pass P and FM actually become actuaries? I feel like it may be 50 at the absolute most.