Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 04-16-2019, 12:42 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthMtn View Post
I've asked for unofficial transcripts when considering whether to bring candidates on-site. In some cases the transcript was the deciding factor. In one case the candidate lied about GPA.
What about it was the deciding factor(in the case where they did not lie about GPA)?
Old 04-16-2019, 12:48 PM
SOA

I included it for maybe 10 of my 2000 EL application.

never asked after EL.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:19 PM

When I was applying for my first job out of college I had to provide my transcript. I had one semester that really stood out from the rest and the actuarial VP (the position above the managers) asked me about it. That was many years ago.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:34 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasi View Post
When I was applying for my first job out of college I had to provide my transcript. I had one semester that really stood out from the rest and the actuarial VP (the position above the managers) asked me about it. That was many years ago.
I graduated with a 3.4 from a good school(school doesn't seem to matter in actuarial, which is what it is), but my performance is split between a 3.8 the first 5 semesters more like a 2.6-7 my last 3. As such I am concerned about any hiring manager actually looking at my transcript. I sometimes wonder if I would be better served to go get a masters degree.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:36 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrm57 View Post
I graduated with a 3.4 from a good school(school doesn't seem to matter in actuarial, which is what it is), but my performance is split between a 3.8 the first 5 semesters more like a 2.6-7 my last 3. As such I am concerned about any hiring manager actually looking at my transcript. I sometimes wonder if I would be better served to go get a masters degree.
Just have a good answer for if it comes up, and stop worrying about what other people think. In fact, the less you care about what other people think, the better your answer will tend to be. That goes for most interview questions.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:50 PM

College: About to be a super senior

Loooong time ago, when I interviewed at Farmers, they asked for my college transcript and, I think, they brought it up in my interview.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
I had a similar overall GPA and dismal grades in my math classes but good grades in my business classes. It never came up. If you pass a couple exams that's the important thing.

Last edited by JoJo; 04-16-2019 at 04:49 PM..
Old 04-16-2019, 08:41 PM
CAS

Quote:
What about it was the deciding factor(in the case where they did not lie about GPA)?
I remember being impressed with some specific courses. Transcripts have a way of illuminating a candidate's interests.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:59 PM
SOA

GL with the application at GEICO
Old 04-16-2019, 11:15 PM
CAS SOA

College: State

Quote:
So you think that in the case of a bad downward trend, I am screwed? Tbh I am in the process of a business analyst application at GEICO and the transcript has not been brought up yet.
Stop worrying. It may come up. It may not. Have a good answer if it does. Practice here to get feedback if you must.