Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:47 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrovertedactuary View Post
Stop worrying. It may come up. It may not. Have a good answer if it does. Practice here to get feedback if you must.
And this.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:23 AM
SOA

Studying for PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrm57 View Post
So you think that in the case of a bad downward trend, I am screwed? Tbh I am in the process of a business analyst application at GEICO and the transcript has not been brought up yet.
Nah, I just meant that GEICO always asked for it for EL positions back in the day when I still applied to them each job cycle. If the downward trend kept you above 3.0 you should be fine
Old 04-17-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
So you think that in the case of a bad downward trend, I am screwed? Tbh I am in the process of a business analyst application at GEICO and the transcript has not been brought up yet.
Screwed? No. But you should be ready to answer a question about it without sounding defensive or like you're just making up excuses.

The only thing I would want to hear is that you are aware you had some sort of issue at the end and that it isn't going to affect you in your working life. You don't have to be too specific, it isn't like you killed someone. My bad semester was a little different in that it wasn't at the very end, but I just said something like "I was dealing with a personal issue that isn't ongoing".
Old 04-17-2019, 12:38 PM
SOA AAA

Well, it's GEICO, so you're probably screwed even if you get the job.

AMIRITE!?!?!?!?!

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 04-19-2019, 05:03 PM
SOA

Quote:
So you think that in the case of a bad downward trend, I am screwed? Tbh I am in the process of a business analyst application at [COMPANY NAME REDACTED] and the transcript has not been brought up yet.
If you are worried about something coming to light in your application at [COMPANY NAME REDACTED], you probably shouldn't mention the specific role and company you're applying to on a forum frequented by actuaries that may also be hiring managers at [COMPANY NAME REDACTED]. Just saying...
Old 04-20-2019, 12:49 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for years

At an EL interview, one of the managers had my transcript out and we talked through it a little bit.

The most interesting one was that one of the large consultancies asked for my SAT scores.

My SAT scores were much more impressive than my transcript but I ended up getting the job at the transcript place and not the SAT place. Go figure.
Taylor originally called his product "Taylor's Prepared Ham", but was forced to change the name after it failed to meet the new legal definition of "ham" established by the Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:41 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemaine Clement View Post
If you are worried about something coming to light in your application at [COMPANY NAME REDACTED], you probably shouldn't mention the specific role and company you're applying to on a forum frequented by actuaries that may also be hiring managers at [COMPANY NAME REDACTED]. Just saying...
This is a good point-thanks.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:14 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximally Qualified View Post
At an EL interview, one of the managers had my transcript out and we talked through it a little bit.

The most interesting one was that one of the large consultancies asked for my SAT scores.

My SAT scores were much more impressive than my transcript but I ended up getting the job at the transcript place and not the SAT place. Go figure.
Really weird for someone to ask for SAT score, feel like it's asking someone for IQ test results.