Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 04-18-2019, 07:19 PM
SOA

Default Is cold emailing efficient?

I'm looking to get that first actuarial job and heard about people cold emailing actuaries. I wanted to know if this is a good strategy to get a talk or get attention from experienced actuaries. Have you ever received that kind of email and is it annoying or do you give some feedback to the guy? I know that you guys must be busy pretty much and will probably ignore the message but I am motivated to finally get that first actuarial job.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:26 PM
CAS

It is absolutely effective at getting my attention.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:47 PM
SOA

You should check the sticky for EL advice, lots of helpful advice on cold emailing.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:40 AM

By efficient do you mean value/email or value/dollar spent?

Because I think you know the answer to both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
Spoiler:
The most important thing I have learned from the career forum is that the gurus in this field and keepers of supreme knowledge regarding all matters pertaining to the actuarial profession are unlettered actuarial students with < 5 years of experience.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:46 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for FCAS

the key is to be interested in a company for a good reason and to write a sincere cover letter that resonates within the people who read it
Old 04-19-2019, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbedNadir View Post
the key is to be interested in a company for a good reason and to write a sincere cover letter that resonates within the people who read it
That's a lot of work to do well, and not practical for a mass-email campaign, but doing it for a smaller targeted number of places is well worth it. JMO.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:25 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani Sitake View Post
It is absolutely effective at getting my attention.
Mine, too. I've only received a few but I've replied to each one and passed them on to who I think the right person in my company is. It's also how I happened to get my first actuarial job, but that was almost 10 years ago.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:01 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkovChains View Post
I'm looking to get that first actuarial job and heard about people cold emailing actuaries. I wanted to know if this is a good strategy to get a talk or get attention from experienced actuaries. Have you ever received that kind of email and is it annoying or do you give some feedback to the guy? I know that you guys must be busy pretty much and will probably ignore the message but I am motivated to finally get that first actuarial job.
I used cold e-mailing to get my first actuarial job. I think whether it works well for you depends a lot on the person. In my case I was 2.5 years out of college with relevant work experience, albeit not in insurance, and two exams passed.

I was having almost no luck getting any response applying to companies and going through the normal HR filters, in my view because I was too weird for HR to pass me along and they didn't see how similar my work experience was to what I'd be doing in EL actuarial.

After reading a tip on the AO I started cold e-mailing people with something brief, two short paragraphs about myself where I'd update the person's name and their company, as well as attaching my resume. Another thing I did was address the e-mail to the person's first name which some people have thought is too informal. In my view this is exactly what you want.. you're reaching out to more experienced people hoping they will see your e-mail and want to help out someone younger than themselves get into the industry. Overly formal is bad for this.

Anyway, after doing cold e-mails for about 90 minutes a couple nights after work I was inundated with phone interviews, which I'd take during my lunch break. After the first week of doing it I had over two weeks full of phone interviews scheduled. All said and done had three offers on hand when I stopped job hunting and made the jump into actuarial.

Best of luck!
Old 04-19-2019, 09:44 AM

It's horribly inefficient and you should use better alternatives if they're available (via your school, past internships, classmates who are now in the industry, etc, etc).

On the other hand, it has a MUCH higher success rate than doing nothing. So if you do not have networks you can work through, then go for it.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:05 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
That's a lot of work to do well, and not practical for a mass-email campaign, but doing it for a smaller targeted number of places is well worth it. JMO.
This x1000. I sent out about 200 emails over the summer last year, and the select few companies that I really wanted I dropped a few lines in there about the company culture, prestige etc...

That said cold emailing is the most effective strategy out there, also the people most likely to help you out are:

- older men/women
- younger women

Just something to keep in mind.