Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 04-19-2019, 10:06 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaloPewPew View Post
This x1000. I sent out about 200 emails over the summer last year, and the select few companies that I really wanted I dropped a few lines in there about the company culture, prestige etc...

That said cold emailing is the most effective strategy out there, also the people most likely to help you out are:

- older men/women
- younger women

Just something to keep in mind.
Damn younger men...
Old 04-19-2019, 12:10 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalDan View Post
I used cold e-mailing to get my first actuarial job. I think whether it works well for you depends a lot on the person. In my case I was 2.5 years out of college with relevant work experience, albeit not in insurance, and two exams passed.

I was having almost no luck getting any response applying to companies and going through the normal HR filters, in my view because I was too weird for HR to pass me along and they didn't see how similar my work experience was to what I'd be doing in EL actuarial.

After reading a tip on the AO I started cold e-mailing people with something brief, two short paragraphs about myself where I'd update the person's name and their company, as well as attaching my resume. Another thing I did was address the e-mail to the person's first name which some people have thought is too informal. In my view this is exactly what you want.. you're reaching out to more experienced people hoping they will see your e-mail and want to help out someone younger than themselves get into the industry. Overly formal is bad for this.

Anyway, after doing cold e-mails for about 90 minutes a couple nights after work I was inundated with phone interviews, which I'd take during my lunch break. After the first week of doing it I had over two weeks full of phone interviews scheduled. All said and done had three offers on hand when I stopped job hunting and made the jump into actuarial.

Best of luck!

It's how I got my first job years back. Every single interview (bar one) I ended up getting during that period was because of the cold e-mails. I was pretty selective in the number of e-mails I sent and also did some background research on open position and ideal targets. The guide on this forum was pretty useful in helping me figure out who to target and what to write. A few years after I started my first job I was still getting people sending responses to the emails I'd sent years back. So I think it's a pretty effective approach.

Last edited by Anxiousele; 04-19-2019 at 12:15 PM..
Old 04-19-2019, 12:47 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by urysohn View Post
It's horribly inefficient and you should use better alternatives if they're available (via your school, past internships, classmates who are now in the industry, etc, etc).

On the other hand, it has a MUCH higher success rate than doing nothing. So if you do not have networks you can work through, then go for it.
this. Of course it's not efficient but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:38 PM
CAS

It really depends on who you approach and how you approach them.

It almost never works if you send out an email to an actuary at a large company saying, "Hi, I'm MarkovChains, and I'm an act sci student at BLEH school and was looking for a position... does your company happen to be hiring?"... or something along the lines of that. Usually they'll just direct you to a careers page or ghost you (the latter happens most often).

You'll be far more successful if you ask for an "informational phone session" where you ask some questions on the work that specific actuary conducts and if that actuary has half an hour available to talk. Talk to him/her about the company/the profession and and the end say you enjoyed the talk and wanted to pass along a resume. Much more effective.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:56 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostess View Post

It almost never works if you send out an email to an actuary at a large company saying, "Hi, I'm MarkovChains, and I'm an act sci student at BLEH school and was looking for a position... does your company happen to be hiring?"... or something along the lines of that. Usually they'll just direct you to a careers page or ghost you (the latter happens most often).

You'll be far more successful if you ask for an "informational phone session" where you ask some questions on the work that specific actuary conducts and if that actuary has half an hour available to talk. Talk to him/her about the company/the profession and and the end say you enjoyed the talk and wanted to pass along a resume. Much more effective.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:07 PM
SOA

Quote:

I disagree. I'd always attach the resume and let them know you are looking for a position. Make sure you've already looked up whether they have any openings or not, and then ask if they are the right person to talk to.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:14 PM
CAS

Quote:
I disagree. I'd always attach the resume and let them know you are looking for a position. Make sure you've already looked up whether they have any openings or not, and then ask if they are the right person to talk to.
You'll almost always know whether or not they're hiring atm by checking the careers page. The point of these info sessions is so they keep you in mind should they open up a position (assuming no open position is currently open).
Old 05-02-2019, 10:15 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalDan View Post
I used cold e-mailing to get my first actuarial job. I think whether it works well for you depends a lot on the person. In my case I was 2.5 years out of college with relevant work experience, albeit not in insurance, and two exams passed.

I was having almost no luck getting any response applying to companies and going through the normal HR filters, in my view because I was too weird for HR to pass me along and they didn't see how similar my work experience was to what I'd be doing in EL actuarial.

After reading a tip on the AO I started cold e-mailing people with something brief, two short paragraphs about myself where I'd update the person's name and their company, as well as attaching my resume. Another thing I did was address the e-mail to the person's first name which some people have thought is too informal. In my view this is exactly what you want.. you're reaching out to more experienced people hoping they will see your e-mail and want to help out someone younger than themselves get into the industry. Overly formal is bad for this.

Anyway, after doing cold e-mails for about 90 minutes a couple nights after work I was inundated with phone interviews, which I'd take during my lunch break. After the first week of doing it I had over two weeks full of phone interviews scheduled. All said and done had three offers on hand when I stopped job hunting and made the jump into actuarial.

Best of luck!
Hi, your comment is really helpful. I am exactly like your situation right now that graduated from college 2.5yrs with 3 exams working at a bank and looking for an entry-level actuarial position in NYC. Would you like to explain more details of how you cold e-mailing people and get interviews? Thank you!
Old 05-03-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
I'd always attach the resume and let them know you are looking for a position. Make sure you've already looked up whether they have any openings or not, and then ask if they are the right person to talk to.
Agree with this. I'm sure this differs between individuals but I personally am not interested in chasing you down to get your resume.

I get between 80 and 120 emails a day that need my attention. Do I want to email you to get your resume? Sure. Is it going to be high enough priority to actually do it, especially when I have a pile of resumes sitting right there from the recruiter that need review already? Heck no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
Spoiler:
The most important thing I have learned from the career forum is that the gurus in this field and keepers of supreme knowledge regarding all matters pertaining to the actuarial profession are unlettered actuarial students with < 5 years of experience.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:14 AM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

Quote:
You'll almost always know whether or not they're hiring atm by checking the careers page. The point of these info sessions is so they keep you in mind should they open up a position (assuming no open position is currently open).
Not always true. Some companies have enough of a process in place (e.g., sizable internship program) that they won't always post *all* of the positions that they're looking for.

Agree with always attaching a resume. If anything, ask for advice on how to improve your resume along with general discussion on "what do employers look for in an EL candidate?".

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES