Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-28-2019, 01:12 PM
dolphin king's Avatar
dolphin king dolphin king is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
College: school of hard knocks
Posts: 136
Default how common are career changers

How common are career changers to the actuarial field? In your office approximately what percentage of people didn't start out in the actuarial field but are now in it?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-28-2019, 01:38 PM
Arthur Itas's Avatar
Arthur Itas Arthur Itas is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Atlanta
Studying for Prostate exam
College: Hard Knocks
Posts: 19,605
Default

The profession has changed a lot in the last 25 years or so in this regard IMO. I think a pretty high % of actuaries in the early 90’s were career changers. With the proliferation of graduates with actuarial degrees in more recent years I think the % of career changers is much lower.

Just my opinion, no stats to back this up.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-28-2019, 03:03 PM
Idiot's Avatar
Idiot Idiot is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
College: ITT Tech
Posts: 250
Default

Common - for people who graduated college in the 80s or 90s it can be like 50%. The career was less known back then and not as competitive as it is today. For today's job seekers it seems very tough to change into the career when you're up against a flood of students, some with Masters now and multiple exams. Even they have trouble finding jobs.

I personally know maybe 3 people (who graduated in the last 5 years from another field) who successfully changed in, and know of many many more actuarial students who tried unsuccessfully and found jobs in other fields. There are plenty of better jobs/better fits than actuarial. Many people seem to lose sight of that on this forum and think it's the end of the world if they can't get in.
__________________
exam 666
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-01-2019, 08:13 PM
dolphin king's Avatar
dolphin king dolphin king is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
College: school of hard knocks
Posts: 136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiot View Post
Common - for people who graduated college in the 80s or 90s it can be like 50%. The career was less known back then and not as competitive as it is today. For today's job seekers it seems very tough to change into the career when you're up against a flood of students, some with Masters now and multiple exams. Even they have trouble finding jobs.

I personally know maybe 3 people (who graduated in the last 5 years from another field) who successfully changed in, and know of many many more actuarial students who tried unsuccessfully and found jobs in other fields. There are plenty of better jobs/better fits than actuarial. Many people seem to lose sight of that on this forum and think it's the end of the world if they can't get in.
I keep getting interviews but nothing comes of it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-01-2019, 10:46 PM
JimF JimF is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Studying for P/1
College: M.S. University of Texas; B.S. Trinity University
Posts: 79
Default Interviews

I have yet to land an actuary interview despite two passed exams.
I am focusing on the third exam in July, so I have not applied for many jobs lately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin king View Post
I keep getting interviews but nothing comes of it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-02-2019, 02:29 PM
Dr T Non-Fan Dr T Non-Fan is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Just outside of Nowhere
Posts: 95,456
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin king View Post
How common are career changers to the actuarial field? In your office approximately what percentage of people didn't start out in the actuarial field but are now in it?
This is about careers, so I've moved this to the careers section.

Suffice it to say, there are a lot of people who want to change their career to actuarial. So much so, that we have a sticky thread in the career section to answer the most frequent questions. Read that, then come back to us.
__________________
"Facebook is a toilet." -- LWTwJO

Last edited by Dr T Non-Fan; 05-02-2019 at 02:32 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-05-2019, 09:03 AM
Stan's Avatar
Stan Stan is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Midwest
Studying for golf
Posts: 5,509
Default

I have seen a few people in the last 5-10 years who were math teachers for a few years and decided this career was better suited for them. They were able to make that transition.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-06-2019, 09:12 PM
Modigliani-Miller Modigliani-Miller is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin king View Post
How common are career changers to the actuarial field? In your office approximately what percentage of people didn't start out in the actuarial field but are now in it?
I would say 10% ~ 20%.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-06-2019, 10:40 PM
dolphin king's Avatar
dolphin king dolphin king is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
College: school of hard knocks
Posts: 136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modigliani-Miller View Post
I would say 10% ~ 20%.
What kind of company do you work for? Small or large company?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-07-2019, 08:39 AM
yoyo's Avatar
yoyo yoyo is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 23,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin king View Post
How common are career changers to the actuarial field? In your office approximately what percentage of people didn't start out in the actuarial field but are now in it?
100%

I made the natural progression from restaurant kitchen manager to actuary.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.16750 seconds with 9 queries