Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 04-29-2019, 11:22 PM

Default Don't Enjoy My Job

I'm an FSA in the health field with about ten years of experience working in a consulting firm in a mid-level management role. I've worked for two different companies, one was an insurance firm and the other is a consulting firm. Problem is that I don't enjoy my job as an actuary. I never have I feel like I just repeat the same processes over and over again. No creativity involved and I am so bored. A secondary issue is that I feel I haven't become the expert that I wanted to be- i work for a small consulting firm and dont have too much exposure to other actuaries to learn from. I am considering switching fields to computer programming. But I am conflicted. I've put so much time into this career. Do other actuaries like their jobs? Am I just in the wrong position? Should I change fields?
Old 04-29-2019, 11:32 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Hefewizen

Short answer: yes
Old 04-30-2019, 12:50 AM

Yes, maybe, probably.

Would spend some time learning about what computer programmers do day-to-day. If your problems are repeating processes and no creativity, I would say that the average programming job is much worse than the average actuarial job. That said, you may just be in the wrong actuarial job.

If you're considering leaving the field altogether, no reason not to switch to another actuarial job IMO. If you interview and it looks like it could be interesting, take it; if you ultimately say "still hate it", then you probably should leave the field, and the short duration at that job won't really be a hit on the resume so you can move on quickly. Obviously, finding a role you enjoy that will also pay you for your experience and your FSA is ideal, so it's a good gamble.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:40 AM

Favorite beer: the closest one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Yes, maybe, probably.

There's a pretty wide variety of jobs that actuaries can end up doing, so it's hard to say whether you should give up on the field entirely.

You need to do your own research and see what appeals to you in a career, what do you enjoy? what are you good at? And then see what sort of role will best meet that. Subject to any geographical/financial/familial limitations you may have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the North View Post
Excel gave me #VALUE.

Edit: Nevermind, I was linking a sumif and didn't open the linked spreadsheet. It is now giving me #N/A.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:15 AM
CAS SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Wine

There's a lot of variety in actuarial work. My first job was a total bust. Not a bad job for someone, but it didn't suit me. Almost gave up on the career, being ignorant and just out of college. But my second and third jobs suited me much better. Went from finance to product pricing, from large image-conscious company, to small friendly companies, from concentrating on one thing to getting broadly exposed to all actuarial work in the company (though the companies were less sophisticated), etc.

So there very well may be another actuarial position that would suit you. Or possibly not. I would suspect you might need to work with a career counselor, because I agree with Westley that programming is everything you don't like about actuarial, multiplied.
Maybe underwriting would suit you? Maybe you need to get away from insurance altogether? Maybe another type of actuarial work would be fine? Not sure, but it sounds like you need to work through what it is you really are looking for, what jobs provide that, and how to get there with your skill set, rather than just jumping from one thing you don't like to another that you might be qualified for but doesn't seem to address your issues. Just an opinion based on your short post, so I could, of course, be way off.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:54 AM

Two is a pretty small sample size. I'd give it another spin, and this time focus on doing something interesting, rather than just pay.
The most important thing I have learned from the career forum is that the gurus in this field and keepers of supreme knowledge regarding all matters pertaining to the actuarial profession are unlettered actuarial students with < 5 years of experience.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:04 AM
CAS

Studying for Prostate exam
College: Hard Knocks

Are there things that other actuaries are doing in the health field that sound interesting, creative, or challenging to you? If so, you should be actively working to move your career in that direction. If not, perhaps you should look at a change.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:51 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

What kind of health consulting? I abandoned that ship after 2 years as an FSA painstakingly nitpicking 100-page powerpoints. And shoveling garbage around because, hey, the client won't know better.

Outside the field will probably be a massive pay cut. I'd exhaust your options in the field first. There's a lot of stuff out there.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:04 AM

Would add that I didn't enjoy being an actuary early on. But even when I started, I could honestly look at what more senior people were doing and say "That looks interesting, I want to do that". Other than my first job (only stayed for a bit over a year), my first ten years in the field it was quite easy to look at the person I was working for and say "That looks interesting, I would like to be doing that".
Old 04-30-2019, 11:13 AM
SOA AAA

Perhaps you want to be a...a dentist??