Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 04-30-2019, 11:21 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by snale86 View Post
I'm an FSA in the health field with about ten years of experience working in a consulting firm in a mid-level management role. I've worked for two different companies, one was an insurance firm and the other is a consulting firm. Problem is that I don't enjoy my job as an actuary. I never have I feel like I just repeat the same processes over and over again. No creativity involved and I am so bored. A secondary issue is that I feel I haven't become the expert that I wanted to be- i work for a small consulting firm and dont have too much exposure to other actuaries to learn from. I am considering switching fields to computer programming. But I am conflicted. I've put so much time into this career. Do other actuaries like their jobs? Am I just in the wrong position? Should I change fields?
What do you think you'd like about programming? Can you incorporate any of that in your work now?
This is worse than the finale of Lost, what about the smoke monster, was real or not, and if not, why have so many members of Trump's campaign plead guilty to lying about meeting with the smoke monster?
Old 04-30-2019, 01:00 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Wine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Perhaps you want to be a...a dentist??
RN
Old 04-30-2019, 01:03 PM
SOA AAA

<grumble> about time. <grumble>
Old 04-30-2019, 06:44 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Whisky

I like my job as a health actuary. But I would totally hate consulting at this stage of my life. Just way too much time commitment.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:50 PM
SOA

Oh you hate your job?
Why didn't you say so?
There's a support group for that. It's called everone and they meet at the bar.
This is worse than the finale of Lost, what about the smoke monster, was real or not, and if not, why have so many members of Trump's campaign plead guilty to lying about meeting with the smoke monster?
Old 04-30-2019, 07:06 PM

What I don't like is the constant repetition, performing the same tasks again and again, using the same models, developing the same filings. I like developing new models. I enjoy drafting new reports and presentations, not populating an old template. Are there actuarial jobs like this? How can I find them? I unfortunately do not have broad exposure... I also do not want a high level management job- I like to stay close to the technical aspect of the work.

I had assumed that as a computer programmer I could find a job where I'd regularly be writing new code for new software. Am I wrong?
Old 04-30-2019, 07:14 PM
SOA

You can work in Data science fields, Machine learning. That sounds interesting but idk if you need to have a Masters or some kind of degree. I personally know some guy at my last company who switched to AI field and he was a FSA and CFA.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:54 PM
CAS

Studying for Prostate exam
College: Hard Knocks

Quote:
What I don't like is the constant repetition, performing the same tasks again and again, using the same models, developing the same filings. I like developing new models. I enjoy drafting new reports and presentations, not populating an old template. Are there actuarial jobs like this? How can I find them? I unfortunately do not have broad exposure... I also do not want a high level management job- I like to stay close to the technical aspect of the work.

I had assumed that as a computer programmer I could find a job where I'd regularly be writing new code for new software. Am I wrong?
You are not wrong about programming, but thatís not necessarily true of all jobs there. Your would not be wrong either if you said you assumed that as an actuary you could find a job developing new models/ presentations
Old 04-30-2019, 08:00 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Whisky

Quote:
Yes. I spent over a decade doing new stuff, with almost no repetition. I built the medical and pharmacy pricing models that the rest of the actuarial department used. When ACA came along, I integrated Med & Rx so they could use the same accumulators... and developed a method to build CPDs on the fly so they fit what is and isn't covered, what does and does not apply to Ded and OOP, etc. I built formulary pricing models to estimate the cost differential of a given benefit design on different formulary structures. I did forecasts and lag triangles for membership growth. I built the model used to test mental health parity, and the one that tests whether grandfather status would be lost for a given benefit change in a group product. I worked on cross-functional teams for a variety of strategic initiatives.

But it comes with some strings attached.

You have to be good at communicating, both in writing and in person. You have to be comfortable speaking to groups, you have to be able to present an idea of your own and sell it. You have to be able to get along with people from all different parts of the company. And you have to be pretty resilient because every single thing you do is going to be challenged by your peers, and the level of peer review for this kind of work can be intense.

Yes - these kinds of jobs exist, but there aren't a ton of them, they're very demanding, they take more than base actuarial skills.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:52 PM

Helena- that sounds like it may be a good fit for me. I think I do have the soft skills. What are the technical skills needed? Which programs did you use for building these models?