Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 05-02-2019, 05:35 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Whisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by act2106 View Post
I understand that it needs to be increased. I'm just curious how you chose a factor of 3 instead of 1.5 or 4 or 7. It seems like you did a lot of work, and that multiplicative factor would have a huge impact on the result. I'm not sure how something like that would be estimated.
Actuarial Judgment...
Old 05-03-2019, 11:41 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
Actuarial Judgment...

It would be interesting to me to know how many millions of dollars are decided on each day in the U.S. based on actuarial judgment. I guess that kind of estimate would require actuarial judgment.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:01 PM
SOA

College: Yep
Favorite beer: Sweetwater Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by snale86 View Post
I'm an FSA in the health field with about ten years of experience working in a consulting firm in a mid-level management role. I've worked for two different companies, one was an insurance firm and the other is a consulting firm. Problem is that I don't enjoy my job as an actuary. I never have I feel like I just repeat the same processes over and over again. No creativity involved and I am so bored. A secondary issue is that I feel I haven't become the expert that I wanted to be- i work for a small consulting firm and dont have too much exposure to other actuaries to learn from. I am considering switching fields to computer programming. But I am conflicted. I've put so much time into this career. Do other actuaries like their jobs? Am I just in the wrong position? Should I change fields?
I essentially felt the same way as you do in the bolded parts above. I left at about 3-3.5 years and ASA... I don't regret those 3 years (worked with some fantastic people, and I needed exposure to the business world), but I'm also glad I left. I really care about healthcare - but I just don't see the really interesting stuff in the industry coming from actuaries in their traditional roles.

Physical violence as acceptable reaction or outdated masculine bravado as a positive quality is definitely not something the country should be moving towards or qualities we want to see in a President.

Old 05-06-2019, 12:48 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Whisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by act2106 View Post

It would be interesting to me to know how many millions of dollars are decided on each day in the U.S. based on actuarial judgment. I guess that kind of estimate would require actuarial judgment.
A LOT. But it's not like it's pulled out of our butts. It's that whole thing where "intuition" is largely based on an pile of experience. Actuarial judgement gets used a lot, but it's almost exclusively used by actuaries with 10+ years of experience under their belts.