Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 05-04-2019, 08:39 AM
SOA

Default What are hiring managers looking for during interviews?

I have an interview coming up for hopefully my first actuarial job. I have failed several interviews in the past and came close to sealing the deal to one company but it always ended up either the company ghosting me or receiving a rejection email. So I am here to ask for help for those who are passing candidates in interview. What are you looking for in a candidate? What determines an immediate yes/no for a hiring manager? Are there any red flags you are looking for? Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:32 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

It depends on the hiring manager. It's a lot like dating, everyone is different and looking for their own type of person. Think of it more as a compatibility search than a rigorous test with well-defined criteria.

I look for people who have initiative, are intelligent, and independent, curious thinkers who don't need much hand-holding.

Grades are important, school carries some weight but isn't everything. I have moved candidates along who had poor grades and didn't go to the best schools because they did very well when asked about their tech skills/curiosity.

Other interviewers are different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.

Last edited by Colonel Smoothie; 05-04-2019 at 10:36 AM..
Old 05-04-2019, 12:09 PM

See if you really know about the things you listed on your resume.

Determine if you're a person that he/she would like to work with.

For entry level, like CS said, see if you're intelligent and can learn things with little guidance.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:15 PM

Favorite beer: the closest one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopin-Lover View Post
See if you really know about the things you listed on your resume.

Determine if you're a person that he/she would like to work with.

For entry level, like CS said, see if you're intelligent and can learn things with little guidance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the North View Post
Excel gave me #VALUE.

Edit: Nevermind, I was linking a sumif and didn't open the linked spreadsheet. It is now giving me #N/A.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:56 PM

Pretty good summary above. In particular, "do I want to work with this person" is important.

I've always said my criteria are:
1) Can you do the job?
2) Do you want the job?
3) Are you coachable.

1) Is pretty much yes for EL if you have a math-y background and have passed a few exams. If the role requires strength in a particular programming skill or whatever, then that would be something to evaluate.
2) If it's consulting, are you ok with the hours. Are you ok with the career path. Will you be invested, interested, etc.
3) Too many ELs are coming from college and one of the smartest in their program, and convinced that they have nothing to learn, which makes it difficult when you try to train/mentor/develop.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:19 PM

Studying for No More... maybe ST9
College: U of Michigan 2008
Favorite beer: Guinness Foreign Extra Stout

Red Flags for me:
- Blame others (team members, professors, ...) There's always never good outcome if you come across as immature/whiny and pointing fingers at others about why a class/team project didn't work out... Even if you truly believe you have done everything right, talk about what you did and what you learned from the experience.

- Not doing the research about the company/position - not having questions to fill the time --> shows lack of intellectual curiosity and preparation and interest

- Embellish their resume - if you put it on your resume and couldn't speak to it intelligently, it comes across as you don't know what you were doing (be very careful with what you list on your internship experience - if you say you interned in Reserving but you cannot talk about reserving techniques, it's not going to end up well. Technical skills, saying you're proficient in Excel but have no idea about some common functions doesn't look good)
Old 05-06-2019, 11:14 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by merson View Post
Red Flags for me:
- Blame others
So if a candidate has been screwed over by someone else, you'd rather them make up a story than give the real reason why something didn't work out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
Yes, well, that's partially the result of my robust education. I was exposed to far more than a narrow money-making selection of classes. The influence of art, literature, and other liberal arts makes it easier for me to write coherently in a format significantly longer than 140 characters. Additionally, I am able to use colorful terms that illustrate my ideas, words that exceed two syllables in length, and even proper punctuation (most of the time).
Old 05-07-2019, 12:06 AM
SOA AAA

College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello, My Baby View Post
So if a candidate has been screwed over by someone else, you'd rather them make up a story than give the real reason why something didn't work out?
No. Present the story properly, suggesting what you learned from the situation and how you would have handled it differently today.
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).
Old 05-07-2019, 04:57 AM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
No. Present the story properly, suggesting what you learned from the situation and how you would have handled it differently today.

This may backfire on you, but at least you increase the probability of the hiring manager(s) looking at your situation in a more positive light.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:05 AM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello, My Baby View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
This. So hard, this.

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES