Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 05-13-2019, 04:20 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

Top-level consulting is either WTW or Milliman. I would stay far, far away as an EL. Also, they make profit hand over fist, and can afford a plane ticket if their consultants charge $500/hour.

I know 'getting a job' is great but you have to live that job too. WTW (100%) and (depends on the practice) Milliman are not necessarily kind to EL. You're the organ grinder that's making it rain for the higher ups, more work and not the money to show for it.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:06 PM
SOA

Well in management consulting there's MBB, then lower tier 1, a tier 2. And people want to climb the ladder into higher companies. Probably something similar in law and ibanking. Is anyone really doing that in actuarial? Working at WTW/Milliman but want to advance to the Big4, or vice versa? Seems like people switch between insurance/consulting based on preferences being different, leave cause they don't like their boss/work, move back to where they really wanted to live after a few years, or just hop around for pay bumps in general.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:58 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 9

IME "top level" big name firms are not necessarily the highest paying. They can afford to be cheap because even if they under pay, a lot of people still want to work there.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:40 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllj View Post
IME "top level" big name firms are not necessarily the highest paying. They can afford to be cheap because even if they under pay, a lot of people still want to work there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:17 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllj View Post
Dont you think people want to work there for a reason? I'll be shocked if that is true, but I guess I'll find out if I get an offer.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:37 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostess View Post
Dont you think people want to work there for a reason? I'll be shocked if that is true, but I guess I'll find out if I get an offer.
You see this more in industries with a high degree of concentration, where people work for getting the brand name on their resume. For example, in accounting, you'd earn more pretty much anywhere but the big 4.

This isn't so true in actuarial.

Quote:
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:47 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
You see this more in industries with a high degree of concentration, where people work for getting the brand name on their resume. For example, in accounting, you'd earn more pretty much anywhere but the big 4.

This isn't so true in actuarial.
Wow thats pretty surprising to me. My friend (whos an accounting major) was so happy to get an offer at a Big 4 firm, and when I asked him how much he said 65k. I thought accountants just made peanuts out of college.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:42 AM
CAS

Quote:
Wow thats pretty surprising to me. My friend (whos an accounting major) was so happy to get an offer at a Big 4 firm, and when I asked him how much he said 65k. I thought accountants just made peanuts out of college.
65k is a lot of money to anyone accustomed to making 0k for most of their life. Most people just put in their 2 years and then quit for a big raise.

Quote:
Old 05-14-2019, 08:13 AM
SOA AAA

College: Utah State University
Favorite beer: Yards IPA

Quote:
A few good reason's people would want to work for a big consulting firm as EL. If you're more type A or work driven, consulting is a great option. If you want a "work life balance", not so much.

1. They're desperate for a job
2. It's a better location than other offers
3. They enjoy being the best of the best. IMO, you'll be working with more talent, and get your feet wet quicker in a consulting gig.
4. High upward mobility. Either at said company or at another. Consulting looks good on a resume.

Also my experience at Milliman was pretty good retirement benefits (profit sharing + HSA contributions) if you can stick around long enough to vest. Don't just look at base pay.

You think you might want the job definitely worth your $200. I paid my own way to an interview once and got a job offer. That said I still didn't take it. I had a better offer from a company that wasn't so cheap they can't afford a flight.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:34 AM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transitive Tangerine View Post
dukelampard too broke now to afford an internet connection to post on the AO anymore

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES