Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 05-02-2019, 03:45 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonteahk View Post
Thank you for replying my comment. Actually I got 1 onsite interview this and last year, maybe my interviewing skill is not good enough(I didn't have much exp with actuarial interviewers.) As you said to send resume to all companies, you mean just to the company website or direly to the chief actuary?
If you only got 1 interview (either total or "per year"), then your resume likely needs to be worked on. Lots of resources here on the AO in that regard.

As to your other question: yes. Submit your resume to the HR machine. Also send your resume to one person at the company (doesn't need to be the "chief actuary"). In this latter case, be sure to also have a solid "cover letter" that is concise and adds information (and not reiterate things already shown on your resume).

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 06-26-2019, 10:36 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for FM/2
College: University of North Florida Junior

I hope this is the right place to ask. Is Power BI proficiency a desired technical skill among entry level applicants?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2019, 11:00 AM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Spruce Springsteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsStudent View Post
I hope this is the right place to ask. Is Power BI proficiency a desired technical skill among entry level applicants?

In my experience, yes. Interns and entry level actuarial analysts are often tasked with reporting and automation projects.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:09 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for FM/2
College: University of North Florida Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by itGetsBetter View Post
In my experience, yes. Interns and entry level actuarial analysts are often tasked with reporting and automation projects.
Thanks for replying. How would you prioritize the following: SQL, Excel, VBA, Power BI, Python, SAS, and R? I'm getting good experience with Power BI and Excel this summer with my internship so I could probably realistically learn two or three more in the list by the time I graduate next fall. I'm wondering what I should focus on.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:16 PM
SOA

Read entry level job descriptions in the region you are looking and choose stuff to learn based on that.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:35 AM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Spruce Springsteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsStudent View Post
Thanks for replying. How would you prioritize the following: SQL, Excel, VBA, Power BI, Python, SAS, and R? I'm getting good experience with Power BI and Excel this summer with my internship so I could probably realistically learn two or three more in the list by the time I graduate next fall. I'm wondering what I should focus on.

From highest priority to lowest priority:
Excel
VBA
SQL
R
Python
SAS

Not sure where to place PowerBI. It seems pretty new.

Learning a couple of tools/languages will set you up for being able to learn whatever your shop uses.
Old 08-18-2019, 04:06 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTA JOJO View Post
screwed (almost literally)
That could be painful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
Yes, well, that's partially the result of my robust education. I was exposed to far more than a narrow money-making selection of classes. The influence of art, literature, and other liberal arts makes it easier for me to write coherently in a format significantly longer than 140 characters. Additionally, I am able to use colorful terms that illustrate my ideas, words that exceed two syllables in length, and even proper punctuation (most of the time).
Old 08-22-2019, 09:10 AM
SOA

Quote:
Not sure if anyone has brought this up, but anyone getting into the field should be very careful about professionalism in the management of your company. Even if you possess a strong exam passing record and good work ethic, you may end up getting screwed (almost literally) professionally for reasons outside of your control and, evidently, outside of HRís control. I had a pretty devastating experience at the first company I worked for, and it had nothing to do with my performance at work until these stresses started to show up. It can bleed through your work and give them a reason to destroy you professionally when you were strictly professional and demonstrated strong work ethic in the first place. Donít let it happen to you. Do your research.
Whoa, this is a scary thought to think about when looking for jobs. Is this a #MeToo incident? Did someone make advances on you and you said no? What did they do to destroy you professionally? I'm starting to second guess my career choices.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:40 AM
SOA

Quote:
I guess thereís no use softening the blow now. Donít let it keep you from entering the field, but just know that itís a small community and these things can have pretty devastating ripple effects as a result. I thought it was something I could brush off, but Iíve been unemployed for about 3 years because of it since employers see it as a major red flag when you silently leave your job. They want to know all the details, and in these situations, you canít really say much without sounding unprofessional during the interviews.

I can tell you which company to avoid if you want to PM me.
I'm not fully following. Based on your "j/k" post above, I wasn't sure if your employer did something to railroad your career or if that was just a joke.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:45 AM
SOA AAA

I don't think this is the right thread for this. A brand new thread would have been better.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art