Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Group and Health Track > Group & Health Advanced Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Group & Health Advanced Exam Old Group and Health Company/Sponsor Perspective Forum

Old 04-27-2019, 09:57 PM
SOA AAA

Have they ever asked a question using Case Study Exhibits 11-14? I'm not sure I understand what they have to do with the syllabus, or how they are supposed to be interpreted. Should the reserve really be increasing so much as duration of the claim increases? I know claim termination will be high in early months but it is almost like by "duration" they mean "benefit period".
Old 04-27-2019, 10:46 PM
SOA

5 days out and I have to admit the Canadian Standards of Practice 2120/2300 chapters feel completely brand new and foreign. I just happen to spot the chapter flipping through the MATE manual - I've never seen a question or flashcards on this material. All these technicalities with cash flow & liabilities, wow. CALM method? Read about that once back in January.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:02 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
Awwwwwwful. Probably 40% of cards. Which I could recover from, but numeric problems are still kicking my ass. With specialty and core all the numerics could be mastered in like 5 hours. Admittedly I'm just not getting in enough time. My kid gets more needy each time. :/

4 days to go. Still a very long time...
What order did you take the FSA exams? I知 curious why you chose to take Spec before Adv

I知 definitely not having kids until exams are out of the way. Kudos to you for juggling family and exams
Old 04-27-2019, 11:49 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by imareal1 View Post
5 days out and I have to admit the Canadian Standards of Practice 2120/2300 chapters feel completely brand new and foreign. I just happen to spot the chapter flipping through the MATE manual - I've never seen a question or flashcards on this material. All these technicalities with cash flow & liabilities, wow. CALM method? Read about that once back in January.
What will happen when some readings stay on the syllabus forever but never made an appearance?

It's time to see if we are the lucky bunch! Find out in the upcoming sitting, this Spring!

Can someone kill it with fire already
Old 04-28-2019, 09:25 AM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlackBen View Post
What order did you take the FSA exams? I知 curious why you chose to take Spec before Adv

I知 definitely not having kids until exams are out of the way. Kudos to you for juggling family and exams
More like kudos to Mrs Vashtar! I don't remember why I did specialty. I think maybe I just lacked the hours. That and or I was thinking I'd fail a bunch while the exam structure switched, but I was off by a year.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:20 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
Yeah, just memorize harder.
This is the theme of my week.

Im so tempted to skip those Canadian chapters... CALM and the interest rate testing would be such a low blow for the test writers.

Last edited by DataDan; 04-28-2019 at 12:25 PM..
Old 04-28-2019, 12:24 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlackBen View Post

juggling family and exams has been a terrible experience for me and my wife. She was a big supporter of me being a career ASA. In fact she still is...
Old 04-28-2019, 12:37 PM
SOA

College: University of Wisconsin - Madison
Favorite beer: New Glarus Moon Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by imareal1 View Post
I honestly forgot this was a topic because you're right, I have yet to see it come up.

If this was a question, it's gotta be like an obscure one or two pointer right?
Old 04-28-2019, 12:49 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldHaveDoneCompSci View Post
Have they ever asked a question using Case Study Exhibits 11-14? I'm not sure I understand what they have to do with the syllabus, or how they are supposed to be interpreted. Should the reserve really be increasing so much as duration of the claim increases? I know claim termination will be high in early months but it is almost like by "duration" they mean "benefit period".
There was at least one question on this in the past. I think it gives your reserve for a disabled life age x at its duration y on a valuation date.

Also, Canadian materials never seems to have been tested on this exam. But they could surprised you... or not. The SOP part was kind of complex to me, I just read it twice and hoped it would not be on my exam. Basic CALM principles should be known I think, but they are already tested on core.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:14 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Is everyone's operating assumption that "background only" chapters aren't tested? They tested Duncan chapters 4,10 on almost every syllabus it was on (and wasn't background only), makes me a bit anxious to skip memorizing those lists