Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam PA: Predictive Analytics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 05-16-2019, 04:50 PM
SOA

College: Towson University

I sat for the December sitting, scored very high on the analytics portion, but very low on the writing portion, and barley failed overall.

I'm pretty upset they just changed the format of the exam because I thought I would have any easy pass this time just by reviewing the material and copying their writing format for the December sitting.

It still doesn't seem like it should be too bad, but I'm just about done reviewing and I'll probably be checking this forum regularly now.

Whaddup everyone

Also, I'm not sure anyone posted this yet, but it was in the Decmber thread and helped me a lot
https://www.r-bloggers.com/in-depth-...expert-videos/

Last edited by Josh Peck; 05-16-2019 at 04:54 PM..
Old 05-16-2019, 07:02 PM
SOA

Studying for FA
College: UC Berkeley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Peck View Post
I sat for the December sitting, scored very high on the analytics portion, but very low on the writing portion, and barley failed overall.

I'm pretty upset they just changed the format of the exam because I thought I would have any easy pass this time just by reviewing the material and copying their writing format for the December sitting.

It still doesn't seem like it should be too bad, but I'm just about done reviewing and I'll probably be checking this forum regularly now.

Whaddup everyone

Also, I'm not sure anyone posted this yet, but it was in the Decmber thread and helped me a lot
https://www.r-bloggers.com/in-depth-...expert-videos/

Thanks for sharing! Gotta look into these videos after I get more familiar with module materials
APC

FAP: 1 2 3 4 IA 6 7 FA
Old 05-17-2019, 02:56 PM
SOA

College: Illinois State University
Favorite beer: Lagunitas

A couple things I was hoping to get some input on. Does anyone have a good way to check the residuals for a glmnet object? For a glm object all you have to do is plot(glm) and you'll get four model diagnostic plots. Any way to do a similar thing for a regularized regression model?

The only solution I can think of is to create a glm using the exact same features and coefficients as the glmnet model. Though any other easier ways to do this would be appreciated.

Also on the topic of regularized regression, the family choices for a glmnet object don't include any positivite-continuous distributions such as Gamma. What options do we have for making a regularized GLM with something like a Gamma distribution + log link?

Last edited by Squeenasaurus; 05-17-2019 at 03:13 PM..
Old 05-17-2019, 04:04 PM
SOA

College: UVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeenasaurus View Post
A couple things I was hoping to get some input on. Does anyone have a good way to check the residuals for a glmnet object? For a glm object all you have to do is plot(glm) and you'll get four model diagnostic plots. Any way to do a similar thing for a regularized regression model?

The only solution I can think of is to create a glm using the exact same features and coefficients as the glmnet model. Though any other easier ways to do this would be appreciated.

Also on the topic of regularized regression, the family choices for a glmnet object don't include any positivite-continuous distributions such as Gamma. What options do we have for making a regularized GLM with something like a Gamma distribution + log link?
For glmnet, simply set y= log(target) to force a log-link function. You can't set your distribution to gamma, but applying a gaussian assumption to your distribution given an X observation, and forcing a log link, will imply that your actual y value has nonconstant variance (the log has constant variance of normal errors, so the exponential will have growing variance).

This is a proxy to get to your gamma distribution, but not exactly perfect. It's the best you can do with the glmnet() function, and certainly will be good enough in the context of the exam.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:06 PM
SOA

Quote:

In terms of checking the plot(glmnet), simply set a glm with the same variables and plot that. You won't have the exact same coefficients, but it's certainly sufficient to check if something is blatantly off.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:38 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner View Post
For glmnet, simply set y= log(target) to force a log-link function.
I don't agree with this. Modeling a log-transformed target variable is not the same as giving the model a log link function.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:50 PM
SOA

Quote:
I don't agree with this. Modeling a log-transformed target variable is not the same as giving the model a log link function.
can anyone give a description of what a link function is in layman's terms? not getting the difference between that and a transformation.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:09 PM
SOA

Quote:
A log link function implies that given a series of predictors, your target variable follows a distribution function of your family with mean of e^{XB}.

Modeling a log(target) implies that ln(target) has a mean of XB with a distribution of your family function.

You are right that E[f(x)] =/= f(E[x]). So they are not the same. But in the context of glmnet(), I am not sure a better approach exists.

Last edited by midwesterner; 05-17-2019 at 05:26 PM..
Old 05-17-2019, 06:34 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiskyBusiness7 View Post
can anyone give a description of what a link function is in layman's terms? not getting the difference between that and a transformation.
Let's say you have a GLM with a Normal distribution and a log link function. That's essentially saying:

Y ~ Normal(mu, sigma)

The link function comes into play by specifying a relationship the mean of this distribution has with the predictor variables.

ln[E(Y)] = B0 + B1*X1 + ... + Bp*Xp + error
or
E(Y) = mu = e^(B0 + B1*X1 + ... + Bp*Xp + error)

Notice how this says the expected value will always be positive but it places no restriction on the actual Y values. They can still be negative because it is normally distributed.

Now let's say you have a OLS linear model (AKA a GLM with a Normal distribution and identity link function) but you log-transformed the target variable instead. This is saying:

ln(Y) ~ Normal(mu, sigma)

The link function is the identity so its simply saying:

E[ln(Y)] = mu = B0 + B1*X1 + ... + Bp*Xp + error

Notice how here we are saying the actual Y values must always be positive. If you look closely, Y actually follows a LogNormal distribution. This will then also always produce positive expected values for Y.

In short, they are not the same because E[ln(Y)] != ln[E(Y)]
Old 05-19-2019, 11:12 AM
SOA

Studying for Specialty
College: Eastern Kentucky University Graduate
Default GLM Functions

Does anyone know where I can get a good summary of the different distributions and link functions associated with a GLM? In the new sample problem I was able to pick the Logit and Probit link functions as appropriate but really wasnt able to expound upon why. I dont think the modules go into very good detail on these topics.