Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Group and Health Track > Group & Health Specialty Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 10-30-2019, 11:22 AM
SOA

Interesting commentary, and that's frustrating to hear about the ASOP 45 question being based on the appendix.

I'd have to see the actual question because a lot of the appendices on the ASOPs are somewhat recaps of the information presented in the ASOP but in a little simpler, more applicable way. So we'll see what the wording says, but I wonder if they'll try to justify by saying that the actual information may still be on the syllabus even though they pulled the problem set-up from the appendix. (Of course, I haven't seen the problem, so that's all I can really say about it.)

Hopefully for the TIA students, they watched the ASOP video until the end because I actually go through the entire appendix as practice and do those problems piece by piece.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:23 AM
SOA

Side note - I'm glad to hear the exam has recently had more than four questions, as that does spread out the mix of questions a bit more.

Surprising that they didn't have anything at all on RBC or reinsurance, though.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:24 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlackBen View Post
the savings come from reduced utilization in the measurement period vs trended baseline
Is that specifically within inpatient admits? I thought that admits/member was constant between baseline/measurement. More importantly, one of the "principles" of DM measurement is validation against your financials, so I think I should still get points for saying "total cost went up 15%, so the claim you saved me 2.5% on total cost is unlikely."

I forgot to mention cost of the program though, that's obviously something they were looking for.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:39 AM
SOA

Studying for GH Specialty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldHaveDoneCompSci View Post
Is that specifically within inpatient admits? I thought that admits/member was constant between baseline/measurement. More importantly, one of the "principles" of DM measurement is validation against your financials, so I think I should still get points for saying "total cost went up 15%, so the claim you saved me 2.5% on total cost is unlikely."

I forgot to mention cost of the program though, that's obviously something they were looking for.
Admit/member were right on top of eachother. The savings was generated when you apply the 6% trend to the baseline.
You successfully played "just the tip?" Ive always ended up losing
Old 10-30-2019, 11:40 AM
SOA

College: Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldHaveDoneCompSci View Post

The admits/member DID stay constant, however a utilization trend was provided. So you really need to compare Prior Admits/Member X (1+UtilTrend) to the New Admits/Member - which is where the savings comes into play.

I'm sure I could have done a better "commentary" regarding the Vendor's Estimate...I really just calculated the % savings and moved on.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:51 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by trondogss View Post
Admit/member were right on top of eachother. The savings was generated when you apply the 6% trend to the baseline.
Oh right of course. I give the SOA too much credit. If a vendor actually showed me that data and made that claim I'd laugh them out of my office, but I suppose reality doesn't play into these exams
Old 10-30-2019, 11:58 AM
SOA

What did y'all put for risk controls the CO-OP should implement related to underwriting, pricing, and claims management risk?
Old 10-30-2019, 12:10 PM
SOA

Studying for GH Specialty

Given it was them interested in using ERM, I talked about risk appetite, tolerance, limits and explained how one can attempt to mitigate after limits are breached in hopes to reign in before risks get close to tolerance levels.

I could see how that answer is not appropriate as well.
You successfully played "just the tip?" Ive always ended up losing
Old 10-30-2019, 12:16 PM
SOA

Studying for Group Health Advanced
Favorite beer: Skinny Dipping Lager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpkz View Post
What did y'all put for risk controls the CO-OP should implement related to underwriting, pricing, and claims management risk?
There's a whole section on risk controls in the ERM Ratings Direct reading. Of course this wasn't something I chose to memorize :/.

I'm feeling worse and worse about this exam the more I talk about it...
Old 10-30-2019, 12:28 PM
SOA

College: University of Wisconsin - Madison
Favorite beer: New Glarus Moon Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpkz View Post
I ended up making a notecard for this, luckily.

It was things like underwriting controls, staggering renewals for pricing, provider diversity, negotiation power, reinsurance contracts, auditing claim management, etc.

Well, assuming this is actually the list they were looking for....

Last edited by PoisedGiraffe; 10-30-2019 at 12:40 PM..