Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 12-17-2019, 02:18 PM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Started compulsively playing Hades, by Supergiant. You play as Hades' son trying to escape from the underworld. The combat is the same as Bastion, give or take a couple dodge rolls, and the game loop is 'rogue-lite', each run lasting an hour or two, with a variety of semi-random power-ups, and then some upgrades after each win/loss... The semi-randomness is compelling, you are always maximizing your build and/or rewards. The most charming part is the wide cast of voices (mostly gods and goddesses), which give you a little friendly chatter now and then so it's not all punch-punch-punch-dodge... It's definitely a great game...

But..... there's no jawdroppingly beautiful scenes/music/voices, nor any truly unsettling settings/story, nor any daringly innovative gameplay. I think maybe the developers hit a wall with Pyre, and decided to cash in on a "normal" video game for once.

Last edited by Sredni Vashtar; 12-17-2019 at 02:39 PM..
Old 12-17-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
Started compulsively playing Hades, by Supergiant. You play as Hades' son trying to escape from the underworld. The combat is the same as Bastion, give or take a couple dodge rolls, and the game loop is 'rogue-lite', each run lasting an hour or two, with a variety of semi-random power-ups, and then some upgrades after each win/loss... The semi-randomness is compelling, you are always maximizing your build and/or rewards. The most charming part is the wide cast of voices (mostly gods and goddesses), which give you a little friendly chatter now and then so it's not all punch-punch-punch-dodge... It's definitely a great game...

But..... there's no jawdroppingly beautiful scenes/music/voices, nor any truly unsettling settings/story, nor any daringly innovative gameplay. I think maybe the developers hit a wall with Pyre, and decided to cash in on a "normal" video game for once.
Thanks for the info. Though this game is still in beta and not set to release until Q3/Q4 2020. I remember when it dropped last year people saying it was very bare bones. So, maybe the bold is coming?
Old 12-17-2019, 03:44 PM

Been playing more of Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order. I'm enjoying the story so far. Finally unlocked some abilities and it feels like the game is getting good. I wonder how much is left though, because I have almost maxed out my ability tree. All the nodes have abilities to purchase and I only have like 6 or 7 left.
Old 12-17-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post

I've hated the gameplay of every supergiant game except bastion.
Bastion was awesome...and the other games got good reviews, so I'd buy them...but then hate gameplay and quit playing after a few hours. Hades was like that for me. Just couldn't have fun with it.
Old 12-18-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Awe View Post
Thanks for the info. Though this game is still in beta and not set to release until Q3/Q4 2020. I remember when it dropped last year people saying it was very bare bones. So, maybe the bold is coming?
Oh wow, didn't realize it was so early! Yeah, I suppose so. To be fair I still haven't even survived the game once, so I've never seen the ending or solved the mystery. For all I know, I haven't seen the half-way point... it just feels safer than their previous games.

At this point it's definitely no longer 'bare-bones'. There are hundreds of recorded NPC voice dialogues, for example.
Old 12-18-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldancer911 View Post
I've hated the gameplay of every supergiant game except bastion.
Bastion was awesome...and the other games got good reviews, so I'd buy them...but then hate gameplay and quit playing after a few hours. Hades was like that for me. Just couldn't have fun with it.
That's too bad! Transistor doesn't have any great cut scenes, but the music and the villain's voice (very soft voiced visionary CEO) is to die for.

I think Transistor's game-play gets marginally better as it gets more complicated. All those buffs and debuffs and combos make it interesting, though maybe not fun?

I'd say you should push through it just for the beautiful moments, but then of course, I certainly didn't push through Pyre.

Last edited by Sredni Vashtar; 12-18-2019 at 10:19 AM..
Old 12-18-2019, 10:57 AM
It's a funny name.

I slowed down for a bit at the end of season 12, but I'm really enjoying Rocket League again. The RocketPass rewards aren't bad either (I think I'm level 28 at the moment). Too bad I can't leverage this into getting better.

Current ranks for the modes I've put in at least 10 matches:
3's - Silver 3, div 2
2's - Silver 2, div 2
Rumble - gold 2, div 3
Old 12-18-2019, 05:43 PM
CAS

Studying for Freedom

I'm close to finish Witcher 3 - Blood and Wine and it's time to think about the next game to play. I only play story driven games and normally won't play any games that has a metacritic score below 80%. For now, my options are:

1. Yakuza Kiwami 2
2. Nier Automata
3. (Revisit) Uncharted 4
4. Horizon Zero Dawn
5. Devil May Cry 5
6. Resident Evil 2

Decision Paralysis...

ACAS 7 8 9

Last edited by trueblade; 12-18-2019 at 05:47 PM..
Old 12-19-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblade View Post
I'm close to finish Witcher 3 - Blood and Wine and it's time to think about the next game to play. I only play story driven games and normally won't play any games that has a metacritic score below 80%. For now, my options are:

1. Yakuza Kiwami 2
2. Nier Automata
3. (Revisit) Uncharted 4
4. Horizon Zero Dawn
5. Devil May Cry 5
6. Resident Evil 2

Decision Paralysis...
Wow, I have no words for how difficult your choice is. I would say that for me, after I play a long game, I like to play a shorter game next. I'm assuming if YK2 is on your list, you've played YK1 (and hopefully Y0) and now they're long.
Horizon is also long.
RE2 is about 8 hours on a first play through for the first campaign. You'll probably want to play the 2nd run campaign (story changes slightly and you get the "real" ending), which is another 4-6 hours.
DMC5 is 10-15 hours.

RE2 was my GOTY for 2019. HZD was my GOTY for 2017. YK2 was amazing as always. DMC5 was fun, but the pacing felt a bit slow. I couldn't get into NIER Automata for some reason. I think it's probably because I sucked at it.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:19 AM
CAS

Studying for Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Awe View Post
Wow, I have no words for how difficult your choice is. I would say that for me, after I play a long game, I like to play a shorter game next. I'm assuming if YK2 is on your list, you've played YK1 (and hopefully Y0) and now they're long.
Horizon is also long.
RE2 is about 8 hours on a first play through for the first campaign. You'll probably want to play the 2nd run campaign (story changes slightly and you get the "real" ending), which is another 4-6 hours.
DMC5 is 10-15 hours.

RE2 was my GOTY for 2019. HZD was my GOTY for 2017. YK2 was amazing as always. DMC5 was fun, but the pacing felt a bit slow. I couldn't get into NIER Automata for some reason. I think it's probably because I sucked at it.
Oh I actually did the Witcher 3 main story last year, just coming back to finish the two expansion so it's not too bad.

I did YK0 and YK1 and thoroughly enjoyed both and would like to continue the storyline.

I have no idea what HZD has to offer but I'm interested because of the high praise. For RE2, it's going to be my entry to the series so I'm excited and also heard really great things about it. DMC3 is one of my favorite hack and slash games of all time, so definitely look forward to seeing how DMC5 has evolved. And lastly for Nier, heard it's one of the deepest and most narratively potent game ever developed, definitely my cup of tea.

So yeah, all of them are great and I feel like I'll play through all of them at one point.

ACAS 7 8 9

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one