Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Group and Health Track > Group & Health Specialty Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 01-13-2020, 07:00 PM
SOA

Thought I did really well (was expecting 7-8), got a 6.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:05 PM
SOA

I got a 7 (as expected) and definitely left points on the table. I'd be really surprised if an 8 was impossible.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:14 AM
SOA

College: UTD Alumni
Favorite beer: Martin House Pretzel Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek @ TIA View Post
It's not Friday like someone said above. Candidate names typically come out this Friday.

Sample solutions are usually three weeks after results, so that would be January 31 based on the SOA's process the past few years.
Thanks. Is Friday when they'll release the question scores as well?
Old 01-14-2020, 10:31 AM
SOA

College: University of Wisconsin - Madison
Favorite beer: New Glarus Moon Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Annoyed View Post
If the passing score was 34/40, then an 8 is impossible.
If the passing score was 33/40, then a 9 is impossible.
If the passing score was 32/40, then a 9 is impossible.

etc.

I bet the passing score was pretty high. Because we have a lot of candidates that felt like they did well (and failed), and we aren't exactly people with little exam experience.
Scored a 9, so looks like pass mark had to be less than 32.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:03 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisedGiraffe View Post
Wow, could you please share with us how you studied for this exam? Much appreciated!!!
Old 01-14-2020, 12:35 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra2000000000 View Post
Wow, could you please share with us how you studied for this exam? Much appreciated!!!
Sure - I will preface by saying that I study fairly intensely and learn by writing, so I know this method probably isn't ideal for people who have different studying habits:

1. I read all of the source material and take handwritten notes (basically creating my own outline). This is generally my first month and a half of studying or so. Once I'm done with the first pass, I literally never touch this again.

2. I then watch TIA videos for all material and take notes on the MATE outline, adding in detail from the videos that isn't in the outline

3. Throughout 1 & 2, I'm typing up and starting on the notecards. I used Anki, which I liked quite a bit. I also use a small whiteboard to practice writing out the notecards. In the outline, I also mark every list that is a notecard

4. Around a month out, I also start practice exams/problems. For every practice problem I do , I try to go back to the outline, reread the section it came from, and highlight the exact part of the outline (list or numerical example) that was tested.

With the markups in the outline from 3&4, I can see which lists have been tested recently, which lists haven't been tested, and which lists aren't even a notecard, but seem testable.

5. In the last week, In addition to doing more practice problems and 1 or 2 full length exams, I reviewed the outline and added notecards for any testable list that wasn't already covered.

6. I rank all of the readings on a scale of 1-3 for how well I know them, and spend my last few days focusing on the ones I don't know as well and making sure I could get at least partial credit for a question on them.

It's not a particularly fun few months, but it helped me feel like I had a good understanding of the material going in to the exam.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:18 PM
SOA

Quote:
Sure - I will preface by saying that I study fairly intensely and learn by writing, so I know this method probably isn't ideal for people who have different studying habits:

1. I read all of the source material and take handwritten notes (basically creating my own outline). This is generally my first month and a half of studying or so. Once I'm done with the first pass, I literally never touch this again.

2. I then watch TIA videos for all material and take notes on the MATE outline, adding in detail from the videos that isn't in the outline

3. Throughout 1 & 2, I'm typing up and starting on the notecards. I used Anki, which I liked quite a bit. I also use a small whiteboard to practice writing out the notecards. In the outline, I also mark every list that is a notecard

4. Around a month out, I also start practice exams/problems. For every practice problem I do , I try to go back to the outline, reread the section it came from, and highlight the exact part of the outline (list or numerical example) that was tested.

With the markups in the outline from 3&4, I can see which lists have been tested recently, which lists haven't been tested, and which lists aren't even a notecard, but seem testable.

5. In the last week, In addition to doing more practice problems and 1 or 2 full length exams, I reviewed the outline and added notecards for any testable list that wasn't already covered.

6. I rank all of the readings on a scale of 1-3 for how well I know them, and spend my last few days focusing on the ones I don't know as well and making sure I could get at least partial credit for a question on them.

It's not a particularly fun few months, but it helped me feel like I had a good understanding of the material going in to the exam.
Do you have a rough estimate of your total hours studied?
Old 01-14-2020, 01:45 PM
SOA

Quote:

Thank you! This is really helpful.i think the key is really understanding the material.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:12 PM
SOA

Studying for FA
College: Colorado State

Quote:
So the highest it could have been must have been something like this I guess, maybe a touch lower:

Pts Score Multiplier
39.0 9 1.3
36.0 8 1.2
33.0 7 1.1
30.0 6 1
27.0 5 0.9
24.0 4 0.8
21.0 3 0.7
18.0 2 0.6

Makes me feel slightly better if i remember right core/adv usually saying if you got to 66-69/100 points you were in good shape. 66% here is a 4-5.
GH Spec
Old 01-14-2020, 02:15 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpkz View Post
Do you have a rough estimate of your total hours studied?
Yes, I tracked my hours for this exam - ended right about 220 hours.

This is the first time I've ever gone over the "100 hours per hour of exam" guideline. Also this was about 80% of my study time for Advanced