Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Group and Health Track > Group & Health Specialty Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 01-14-2020, 02:56 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisedGiraffe View Post
Sure - I will preface by saying that I study fairly intensely and learn by writing, so I know this method probably isn't ideal for people who have different studying habits:

1. I read all of the source material and take handwritten notes (basically creating my own outline). This is generally my first month and a half of studying or so. Once I'm done with the first pass, I literally never touch this again.

2. I then watch TIA videos for all material and take notes on the MATE outline, adding in detail from the videos that isn't in the outline

3. Throughout 1 & 2, I'm typing up and starting on the notecards. I used Anki, which I liked quite a bit. I also use a small whiteboard to practice writing out the notecards. In the outline, I also mark every list that is a notecard

4. Around a month out, I also start practice exams/problems. For every practice problem I do , I try to go back to the outline, reread the section it came from, and highlight the exact part of the outline (list or numerical example) that was tested.

With the markups in the outline from 3&4, I can see which lists have been tested recently, which lists haven't been tested, and which lists aren't even a notecard, but seem testable.

5. In the last week, In addition to doing more practice problems and 1 or 2 full length exams, I reviewed the outline and added notecards for any testable list that wasn't already covered.

6. I rank all of the readings on a scale of 1-3 for how well I know them, and spend my last few days focusing on the ones I don't know as well and making sure I could get at least partial credit for a question on them.

It's not a particularly fun few months, but it helped me feel like I had a good understanding of the material going in to the exam.
Thank you!! I learn best by writing/talking and utilized pieces of this strategy but I really like the idea of reading the source material once thoroughly and taking notes.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:13 PM
SOA

College: University of Wisconsin - Madison
Favorite beer: New Glarus Moon Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradohiker14 View Post
Thank you!! I learn best by writing/talking and utilized pieces of this strategy but I really like the idea of reading the source material once thoroughly and taking notes.
It takes a long time, but it really helps me learn the material. Also, added bonus that it strengthens your hand, so writing for so long on the exam isn't as bad
Old 01-15-2020, 02:08 PM
SOA

Quote:
It takes a long time, but it really helps me learn the material. Also, added bonus that it strengthens your hand, so writing for so long on the exam isn't as bad
Exactly right. It's a really good strategy that a lot of people overlook. It's not as much of a problem on a 2 hour exam, but it's still a very real concern these days when we write so little by hand anymore.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:25 PM
SOA

Studying for GH Specialty

Quote:
Can't emphasize this enough. I think it's the only thing that got me through Core and Advanced. The "condensed" MATE outline for Specialty is only like 45-50 pages, so writing the note cards out shouldn't be too bad.

For each of my four Specialty Sittings (1/5/4/6), I probably studied the following amounts:

Attempt 1: 25-50 hours - scored a 1, work was terrible, was happy with my score
Attempt 2: 150-200 hours - scored a 5, felt jaded which impacted my next sitting
Attempt 3: 100-150 hours - scored a 4 when I walked out and thought I dominated the exam
Attempt 4: 150-200 hours - scored a 6 feeling the same I did when I walked out. This particular sitting I spent probably 1/2 of the time studying the source material (which was new for me as I'd always leaned on study materials).
You successfully played "just the tip?" Ive always ended up losing
Old 01-17-2020, 10:52 AM
SOA

College: Alumni

Details are out -naturally I'm annoyed.

Q1: 4
Q2: 8
Q3: 2
Q4: 3
Q5: 10
Q6: 1
Q7: 9

I think I'm most annoyed that I scored so low on Q3. I felt like I put down good info, but apparently not... Next most annoyed by Q1 which I also thought I had down/figured I easily passed that too. Less annoyed by Q4 and Q6, but Q6 was only a 3-pointer anyways, so low score really shouldn't have held me back much.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:03 AM
SOA

Passing %'s up now too - 50% passed. OBNOXIOUS.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:08 AM
SOA

Studying for everything

can't see the names, file not found
Old 01-17-2020, 11:27 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarchArvor View Post
can't see the names, file not found
Seems to be working now.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:27 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPActuary View Post
Details are out -naturally I'm annoyed.

Q1: 4
Q2: 8
Q3: 2
Q4: 3
Q5: 10
Q6: 1
Q7: 9

I think I'm most annoyed that I scored so low on Q3. I felt like I put down good info, but apparently not... Next most annoyed by Q1 which I also thought I had down/figured I easily passed that too. Less annoyed by Q4 and Q6, but Q6 was only a 3-pointer anyways, so low score really shouldn't have held me back much.
Mine is very similar to yours. I scored really low on question 1, 3 and 6. I don't know what SOA is looking for.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:16 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra2000000000 View Post
Mine is very similar to yours. I scored really low on question 1, 3 and 6. I don't know what SOA is looking for.
I'm in the same boat...I thought I did well on #1, #3, and #6 but scored very low (01, 02, 02).