Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 01-14-2020, 09:03 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!
College: UConn
Favorite beer: Barq's or Mug, or any local Root Beer with caffeine

Anyone else check out their PS Year in Review?

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/ca...6086099d60c1c3

All opinions are either my own, or made up for dramatic and/or comedic effect.

Old 01-14-2020, 09:17 PM
It's a funny name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arroway View Post

255 hours logged. 178 of those were Rocket League. I'm actually surprised it was that low.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:41 AM
SOA

College: JCU

Quote:

Wow I put in 1610 hours into Destiny 2
Old 01-15-2020, 08:34 PM
CAS

Studying for Freedom

Quote:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/ca...f3cf28d5d82ca2

806 hours including 161 hours spent on Assassin's Creed - the Wild Hunt lol

ACAS 7 8 9
Old 01-17-2020, 09:22 AM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!

Finally rolled credits on Jedi: Fallen Order last night. Frustrating because I really like the game, especially the story, but so many glitches. Audio not syncing, including audio from enemies you already killed, glitchy platforming, etc.

Was planning to do some trophy hunting now that the story is over, but I think I'll move on. Seriously thinking about finally starting Witcher 3, but I need to finish Shadow of the Tomb Raider first (I was playing that when Jedi came out).

Old 01-17-2020, 09:45 AM
CAS

Quote:
Finally rolled credits on Jedi: Fallen Order last night. Frustrating because I really like the game, especially the story, but so many glitches. Audio not syncing, including audio from enemies you already killed, glitchy platforming, etc.

Was planning to do some trophy hunting now that the story is over, but I think I'll move on. Seriously thinking about finally starting Witcher 3, but I need to finish Shadow of the Tomb Raider first (I was playing that when Jedi came out).
I enjoyed the game too, but haven't finished because I enjoy playing on the higher difficulty level, but the load times are nearly as bad as bloodborne at launch. So I went back to Overwatch.

If they ever patch it so load times go down I'll pick it up again.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:48 AM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsylvos View Post
I enjoyed the game too, but haven't finished because I enjoy playing on the higher difficulty level, but the load times are nearly as bad as bloodborne at launch. So I went back to Overwatch.

If they ever patch it so load times go down I'll pick it up again.
Yeah, final boss battle was the worst. It had fail states that were non-combat (like falling off a ledge) that didn't exist earlier in the game, and then the load time was 3 minutes every time it happened.

Old 01-20-2020, 11:58 AM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
highly flexible play styles, good customization of characters, and so far... a really pretty landscape. It also has some artistic elements that remind me of Dishonored and Prey. Apparently, the developers that Oblivion got their hands on actually came from Bioware and Bethesda... so it's not surprising that they've gone for the best of both worlds. And considering Bioware's relationship with Arkane, I'm not surprised to see some influence there too.

Greedfall is on my list. The description sounds like it's right up my alley, filling a particular type of RPG vacuum while I (im)patiently wait for Bethesda and Bioware to come back to the table. It's supposed to be a very nice fit for that niche. But... I've also heard that it's a bit buggy and rough around the edges. So I might wait until it goes on sale.

Bethesda has said they're going to bring another solo Elder Scrolls to market sometime in the future, and I recall seeing some teasers for it... but I think it's still about two years out. Bioware owes me another Dragon Age, since they left the story hanging... but I haven't really heard any rumblings from them since their horrible Mass Effect: Andromeda failure. I'm still a bit peeved that they ruined one of my favorite game series.
If you're itching for an RPG, I highly recommend Disco Elysium. The clever writing mixes with the skill system in a really interesting way.

Basically there's no combat system, just skill checks. All the skills (which are technically split between physical, dexterity, mental, social) inform dialogue choices and also tell you information all the time? Like as literal voices in your head?

They take these skills in really interesting directions. Like a high dex includes stealth and accuracy and tool-use, but it also includes being cool, quick witted, and aware of body language.

What's really brilliant is that your passive skill information isn't perfectly useful or accurate. It's both what you're 'good' at and who you are. Sometimes your 'skillchecks' even literally argue with each other. Which is hilarious and confusing.

Last edited by Sredni Vashtar; 01-21-2020 at 08:21 AM..
Old 01-21-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:

I keep hearing about all these glitches and issues people had with this game. I played it using the disc on a launch PS4 and had zero issues. I realize it's semi-random, but considering I played it on what was considered the "worst setup" to play it on and had no issues, it surprises me.

I noted that I played using the disc, because I had God of War installed and heard lots of comments about how that game was giving people with a base PS4 issues and I had none.

Last edited by The Wizard of Awe; 01-21-2020 at 09:12 AM..
Old 01-21-2020, 09:49 AM
CAS

Studying for Freedom

Quote:
Seriously thinking about finally starting Witcher 3,
Now it's probably the perfect time to get into the Witcher series. The game is so huge though and it took me 180 hours over the span of two years and I'm not even a completionist.

ACAS 7 8 9

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one