Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Group and Health Track > Group & Health Advanced Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Group & Health Advanced Exam Old Group and Health Company/Sponsor Perspective Forum

Old 10-13-2017, 07:01 AM

Default Upcoming Changes to the GH Adv Exam

By now you may have read that the SOA is changing the FSA tracks starting in Fall 2019 for Group Health exams (and December 2018 for the FSA modules):
https://www.soa.org/curriculum-chang...track-changes/

The two current five hour exams (Core and Advanced) are changing to two new five hour exams (DP and FV) and keeping the final Specialty or ERM exam. There is a transition process where you can get partial credit for some of the exams and can take partial exams for a period of time. Then it will fully transition to just these two full exams, plus the 2 hr Specialty exam or 4 hr ERM exam (and the modules).

If you are in the midst of studying for an exam coming up in a few weeks - this doesn't change anything. If you push through and finish your exams this won't affect you, so focus on your studying. Once we learn more about the process, we'll let you know. Good luck!

TIA Online Seminar: GH FV
Book:Actuaries in Microinsurance
Old 10-13-2017, 10:48 PM
SOA

Studying for Special Exm for Specl Ppl
College: Ex-Cuse Alum
Favorite beer: Bud Light

Link isn't working for me.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:03 PM
SOA

FYI - here's the link:
https://www.soa.org/curriculum-chang...track-changes/

Looks like it got truncated in the original post.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:01 PM
SOA

College: University of Connecticut
Favorite beer: Weihenstephan Vitus

Not that I plan to still be working on Adv by the time this change comes into effect, but what's the plan for potential TIA subscribers who will face having to take separate halves of 2 exams? Will there be some kind of mix & match option for the transition period?
Old 10-14-2017, 10:16 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byram View Post
Not that I plan to still be working on Adv by the time this change comes into effect, but what's the plan for potential TIA subscribers who will face having to take separate halves of 2 exams? Will there be some kind of mix & match option for the transition period?
The plan is that by that time, you'll be sitting back, relaxing, enjoy the letters "FSA" after your name.

But seriously, it's way too early to tell. We'll have to see how they actually split out the material, and we won't know that for quite a while because we'll have to wait for those new syllabi to come out in mid 2019. Depending on how it is truly structured, we would likely do something like that with the mix and match approach, but we'll just have to wait and see. Rest assured that we will definitely structure it for the students to get the materials and instruction they need to get through these exams.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:16 PM
SOA

If I were transitioned in and had Core or Advanced but not both, I would recommend deliberately overstudying for one of the shortened exams so you can at worst pass one piece and be down to 1/4 left.

That can be a real benefit if they let you knock half of a 5-hour exam out of the way when the next sitting you can have less of a study scope, perhaps study half as many hours and catch a break on a short piece left. I’ll take that.

Last edited by Latitude30; 11-02-2017 at 07:22 PM..
Old 11-02-2017, 07:32 PM
Non-Actuary

Does this mean we can expect the Advanced syllabus to remain as is until the 2019 transition?
Old 11-02-2017, 07:44 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
Does this mean we can expect the Advanced syllabus to remain as is until the 2019 transition?
More likely this will also reduce the chance of major changes to the existing exam.

But this will also increase the chance that either SOA or cut some slack and there will be a high pass % of feverish exam takers cringing for that last pass, or the SOA will want to go tough on the last current exam in order to get more exam takers to take the new path to FSA. I think the former. They have heart.

Patience gets you in if you keep hanging on and keep trying.

Last edited by Latitude30; 11-02-2017 at 07:55 PM..
Old 11-02-2017, 11:16 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
No. I would expect them to maintain the same structure and protocol that they have in place now.

Advanced usually has syllabus updates during the wintertime, so they'll probably have a new syllabus for Spring 2018 that would also cover Fall 2018. Core and Specialty usually get new syllabi during the summer, so that would cover Fall 2018 and Spring 2019. Not sure if Advanced would have a new syllabus for Spring 2019 or not, since that would likely only cover one sitting, until the bigger changes come around in Fall 2019.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:51 PM
SOA

Is there any Syllabus updates for 2019 Spring for Adv, I couldn’t find any info related to this.