Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Group and Health Track > Group & Health Core Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Group & Health Core Exam Old Group & Health Design & Pricing Forum

Old 04-16-2018, 03:16 PM
SOA AAA

College: Arizona State
Default Fall 2018 GHCORU Progress Thread

Beginning to start thinking about when to start thinking about getting ready for the fall sitting (on Halloween!), with eyes towards hopefully taking care of Core + Advanced before the change (which I'm thinking will be a nominal change) to DP + FV next summer.

Curious to hear when everyone is planning on starting their studying? This will be my first fellowship exam and I'm curious about the shift in focus towards learning/memorizing concepts rather than blitzing through as many practice problems as quickly and efficiently as possible.

I've been accumulating all of the texts this past year (monitoring and snatching up used books via Amazon/eBay when possible), and am debating between the MATE study materials, the MATE materials + the MATE seminar, or some combination with TIA involved.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:01 PM
SOA

What are peoples progress on this so far?
Old 06-25-2018, 02:28 PM
SOA

Just starting today. Decided to use MATE materials along with TIA for the online seminar.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:50 PM
SOA

College: University of Michigan

Started studying with MATE. I'm starting to memorize flashcards from the beginning while reading through the outline and some source materials, but mostly drilling flashcards. Planning to really flesh out the text maybe 2-3 months out.

What other strategies are people using for MATE? How much of the source material are people reading?
Old 06-26-2018, 03:09 PM
SOA

Started about a week and a half ago, have the source materials and MATE. Currently I'm reading the source material, then the MATE outline, trying to look at flashcards every day to some degree. I'm a shade over halfway through Objectives 1 and 2 (MATE combines the first two objectives). Not entirely sure how I should be studying because I really don't know how the questions are structured. Trying to get through everything as quick as possible then start pulling everything together big picture wise.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:05 PM
SOA

I chose TIA over MATE. I'm just starting on Section 2 on the detailed outline. I'm also not sure how to approach this but my current plan is to go through the detailed outline ASAP to sketch out the whole picture mentally then fortify my knowledge on everything with remaining time using flash cards and condensed outlines. I'm a little concerned I'm wasting time with the first read-through since I won't retain anything but seems necessary...Any advice on study strategy appreciated.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:53 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by imareal1 View Post
I chose TIA over MATE. I'm just starting on Section 2 on the detailed outline. I'm also not sure how to approach this but my current plan is to go through the detailed outline ASAP to sketch out the whole picture mentally then fortify my knowledge on everything with remaining time using flash cards and condensed outlines. I'm a little concerned I'm wasting time with the first read-through since I won't retain anything but seems necessary...Any advice on study strategy appreciated.
If you're not already doing this, I would also suggest going through the videos as you read the corresponding chapters in the Detailed Outline, to help make more sense of what you're reading and help it stick a bit more. Also, it is not uncommon for the first pass of the material to seem a little daunting, but it does start to stick as you watch the videos and get exposed to the problems. And that's one of the great things about the video seminar that you can re-visit the videos multiple times and pick up more and more from them with multiple passes.

Note for everyone - I see a lot of you already jumping into the flashcards. My personal advice would be to first focus on getting basic understanding of the material, general ideas and how the topics tie together. While flashcards are important, you will definitely get some problems on the exam that surprise you and will not be on the flashcards, so you have to be able to think clearly and understand the big picture of the material. You will also have some problems that refer to the information on the flashcards, but I typically recommend saving the flashcard memorization for a little later in the process because it is often rote memorization and something that you'll be needing to refresh as the exam draws closer anyway.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:47 AM
SOA

Using TIA for first attempt. I'm into section 2. I've been reading every word of the chapters on the syllabus and backing up with videos at a lag; maybe watching the videos a week or so after I get through reading. I've perused some flashcards, but only for section 1 now that I'm into section 2. Mostly slow going so far, but starting to ramp up the weekly hours. Study days start late next month.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:34 PM
SOA AAA

College: University of Texas at Austin alumnus

I started objective 3 this weekend. My method has to read the source material, then watch the TIA videos. I'm hoping this will make the material stick for me. I'm planning on jamming flashcards and previous exam problems during the last 6 weeks before the exam.

This is my first sitting for a fellowship exam as well.

FSA Requirements
Modules: FE | ERM | PRF
Exams: GHCU | GHA | GHSPC
Other: DMAC
Old 07-12-2018, 09:20 AM
SOA

College: Rutgers University

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek @ TIA View Post
Note for everyone - I see a lot of you already jumping into the flashcards. My personal advice would be to first focus on getting basic understanding of the material, general ideas and how the topics tie together. While flashcards are important, you will definitely get some problems on the exam that surprise you and will not be on the flashcards, so you have to be able to think clearly and understand the big picture of the material. You will also have some problems that refer to the information on the flashcards, but I typically recommend saving the flashcard memorization for a little later in the process because it is often rote memorization and something that you'll be needing to refresh as the exam draws closer anyway.
Thank you for the advice! I feel like I'm having a decent amount of trouble retaining the details of what I'm reading while going through the study guide for the first time. For example, in the section about developing medical manual rates, I understand the adjustments that need to be considered, and can talk about them on a high level off of the top of my head, but I can't list the specifics from the manual.

Should I just make sure that I have a general understanding of the concepts in my first pass and worry about the details when I get to the note cards or should I make sure that I have some of the details nailed down?