Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 9 - Financial Risk & Rate of Return
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 06-18-2019, 10:43 AM
CAS

Default Spring 2020 CAS Exam 9 Progress Thread

Let's goooo
Old 06-18-2019, 10:48 AM
CAS

Studying for Exam 9

Count me in! FCAS here I come!
Old 06-18-2019, 11:41 AM
CAS

Hopefully, second time is the charm. Please feel free to start putting up your thoughts on material, as I have nothing else to do for the next ten months anyway for exams.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:56 AM
CAS AAA

Studying for Exam 9

I'm in. I've gotten 2 5's on this exam. I'm going to spend the fall refining my notes.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:20 PM
CAS SOA

In.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:48 PM
CAS

this was one of the threads discussing study materials from this recent sitting, if it's helpful to anyone:
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=336984

My own personal opinion (which I mention in there) is:
TIA: garbage and a total waste of money.
CC: Other people initially said that CC was only good as a supplement, but I used it as my primary manual and thought it was definitely sufficient. I thought the practice questions after each section were great at solidifying the theoretical concepts (even if they weren't really written in exam style), and then the 2 practice exams themselves definitely had some challenging/fringe topics but overall were pretty good.
RF: An excellent supplement, as per usual.
Source: By now, you do you with source. I think I read a few of the BKM chapters in their entirety while starting out, but after that only referenced some papers here and there to get some extra context.

In summary: CC+RF. I think people keep getting TIA just because it seems "known," but the other players have more than proven themselves by now, and I'm telling you there was ZERO marginal value I got from TIA.

FWIW, I passed on my first attempt.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:56 PM
CAS

I had TIA and RF and got a 5. I am going to buy CC this time.

I got rocked by BKM. The thing with TIA is it is a good summary, but you really need to know the depth of the material and it just isn't there in TIA.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:57 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongestRoad View Post
this was one of the threads discussing study materials from this recent sitting, if it's helpful to anyone:
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=336984

My own personal opinion (which I mention in there) is:
TIA: garbage and a total waste of money.
CC: Other people initially said that CC was only good as a supplement, but I used it as my primary manual and thought it was definitely sufficient. I thought the practice questions after each section were great at solidifying the theoretical concepts (even if they weren't really written in exam style), and then the 2 practice exams themselves definitely had some challenging/fringe topics but overall were pretty good.
RF: An excellent supplement, as per usual.
Source: By now, you do you with source. I think I read a few of the BKM chapters in their entirety while starting out, but after that only referenced some papers here and there to get some extra context.

In summary: CC+RF. I think people keep getting TIA just because it seems "known," but the other players have more than proven themselves by now, and I'm telling you there was ZERO marginal value I got from TIA.

FWIW, I passed on my first attempt.
Thank you, it's very helpful. Let's say hypothetically there is no money constraint, would you still say TIA was not helpful at all?
Old 06-18-2019, 01:00 PM
CAS SOA

I agree that TIA videos may not be the best way to prepare for the exam but TIA has the complete package, like who else has note cards for exam 9? I hate to do them myself but love to learn this way.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:04 PM
CAS

The TIA notecards for exam 9 are beyond awful. There are AOers with much better anki notecards for exam 9.

Tags
jasonplz, last exam ever, missedoutonhawaii, stilllsadabouthawaii, washingtondc