Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 05-15-2019, 12:18 PM
SOA

Studying for GH Specialty
Default First Time Travel to London

Looking for recommendations on things to do. We are heading out there in early October for 8 days. The only thing on our "to do" is to go to the Bears-Raiders game .

3 total couples going and no kids.
You successfully played "just the tip?" Ive always ended up losing
Old 05-15-2019, 12:19 PM
Official Reef Pastor

What does "first" mean in the context of time travel? First from your temporal perspective, or from that of London?

i.e., if after this trip, you decide next year to visit London during the time of the Romans, that would be your second trip to London, but London's first time hosting you.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:23 PM

Favorite beer: the closest one

Any clues? What sort of stuff do you like doing? Eating? Drinking? Art? Theatre? Sport?
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the North View Post
Excel gave me #VALUE.

Edit: Nevermind, I was linking a sumif and didn't open the linked spreadsheet. It is now giving me #N/A.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:37 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for nothing. I quit.
Favorite beer: Root

All I remember about London was that the glass of wine I had at the bar was 4-5x more expensive than I was anticipating.

Sheep Dog Dare Game Champion
Old 05-15-2019, 12:38 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1695814 View Post
All I remember about London was that the glass of wine I had at the bar was 4-5x more expensive than I was anticipating.

London was expensive AF
You're a Master of Karate
And friendship
For Everyone
Old 05-15-2019, 12:42 PM
SOA AAA

I would for sure try to make it to a EPL game (assuming they are not on break).
You're a Master of Karate
And friendship
For Everyone
Old 05-15-2019, 12:45 PM
SOA

Just went last fall, 'big ticket tourist' items that I thought were worth the time we spent there:
-Cruise around the thames (seemed very cliche touristy at first, but I thought it was relaxing, informative, and pretty cool imo)
-National Gallery (if you're into museums - honestly, one of the best art museums I've been to. Probably rank it below only Uffizi)
-Day trips to castles (I love castles and castle gardens, so this might be a specific taste thing)
-British Museum (even if you're not into museums, this is unique enough where you'd probably like it regardless).
-Tower of London (it's a castle, but the free yeoman tour thing I thought was pretty interesting. I'd skip the Crown Jewels unless you're really into it).

Things I thought were kinda boring from a tourist perspective:
-Tower Bridge (just a bridge, when you go 'inside', you can't even really see that it's a cool bridge)
-Changing of the Guard (very crowded and unpleasant experience to watch a bunch of dudes move slowly to music, not that great imo).

We didn't do some of the other tourist things like the big ferris wheel, etc b/c it seemed like we definitely wouldn't enjoy them. We didn't do any theater-related stuff, but seems like there were a bunch of good options if that's something you're into.

Other things that were enjoyable was having pints and watching sports with some locals, walking along the thames at night, 'Tea Time' was an excellent experience, various very good Indian food everywhere. Depends on what you're into.

I'm sure people who live there can give better suggestions for more specific places/bars/etc.

8 days is a pretty long time, so you could also go to one of the surrounding cities. We went to York also and I loved it there, but again I guess it depends on what sort of thing you're looking for.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agadefe View Post
Just went last fall, 'big ticket tourist' items that I thought were worth the time we spent there:
-Cruise around the thames (seemed very cliche touristy at first, but I thought it was relaxing, informative, and pretty cool imo)
-National Gallery (if you're into museums - honestly, one of the best art museums I've been to. Probably rank it below only Uffizi)
-Day trips to castles (I love castles and castle gardens, so this might be a specific taste thing)
-British Museum (even if you're not into museums, this is unique enough where you'd probably like it regardless).
-Tower of London (it's a castle, but the free yeoman tour thing I thought was pretty interesting. I'd skip the Crown Jewels unless you're really into it).

Things I thought were kinda boring from a tourist perspective:
-Tower Bridge (just a bridge, when you go 'inside', you can't even really see that it's a cool bridge)
-Changing of the Guard (very crowded and unpleasant experience to watch a bunch of dudes move slowly to music, not that great imo).

We didn't do some of the other tourist things like the big ferris wheel, etc b/c it seemed like we definitely wouldn't enjoy them. We didn't do any theater-related stuff, but seems like there were a bunch of good options if that's something you're into.
Wife and I went 4 years ago. Agree with everything here.

Tower of London and Westminster Abby were our two favorite...but both of them get super crowded. We planned Westminster pretty good by showing up about 30 minutes before opening and crowds were pretty small. When we were done there, the entrance was packed. Tower of London we did mid-day. We were able to see everything but I think we had to wait in line for like an hour to so to get in.

Stonehenge wasn't worth it IMO. It's out of the way so you have to dedicate a lot of time for it and you can't get very close to it. We did it as part of a bus tour with Windsor Castle and Bath and would have preferred more time at the castle instead of seeing Stonehenge.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:12 PM

Favorite beer: the closest one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agadefe View Post
Agree with the whole post, but this is also a good way to see the river, if you're less bothered about 'relaxing'...
https://www.thamesribexperience.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the North View Post
Excel gave me #VALUE.

Edit: Nevermind, I was linking a sumif and didn't open the linked spreadsheet. It is now giving me #N/A.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:24 PM
CAS

Studying for eternity

I went 2 years ago.

I went to Stonehenge because it was a must-see for my sister who was with me. I would have been fine skipping it. Look, big rocks. You've seen the pictures, and while you can get sorta close to them, you can't go up and touch them.

I enjoyed the London Eye, it was a nice ride.

Recommend 60-90 min for the Churchill War Rooms. I am not a history buff at all, but I enjoyed this.

Also, the National Gallery and Westminster Abbey were definitely worthwhile.

Went to a Science Museum that was decent. They had a machine used to model economic conditions using the flow of water. Also saw very old actuarial calculation equipment. There were other museums adjacent to this one so you could spend an entire day there.

Buckingham Palace and the nearby gardens were a nice walk.

Also recommend you get out and see a castle. Don't spend 8 days just in London, pick a few cities and take the train out to them (and stay in them). Or rent a car and drive to them like I did (Cardiff).

Last edited by Klaymen; 05-15-2019 at 02:11 PM..