Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

View Poll Results: Is "butthurt" derived from anal sex?
I think so. 3 6.98%
Maybe to some people. 3 6.98%
I don't think so. 32 74.42%
42 hurt butts 5 11.63%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2019, 04:05 PM

Default Is "butthurt" a gay slur?

One of my students called someone "butthurt" today and I paused class to turn it into a discussion about what that word means and it's where it came from. I always thought it was referring to feeling pain after having anal sex and comparing that to getting your feelings hurt over something, and thus it is not a friendly term to LGBTQ students. Others disagreed and said it had nothing to do with anal sex. I am overanal-izing?
Old 10-10-2019, 04:11 PM

Studying for EA-2L

Poll question doesnt match thread title. Why cant it both refer to anal sex, but also not be a slur against gays?
Spoiler:
Old 10-10-2019, 04:11 PM

Growing up in the 70's, my dad used it as a threat of corporal punishment be that by foot or by switch.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:15 PM
It's a funny name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Repair Man View Post
I am overanalizing?
yes
Old 10-10-2019, 04:16 PM
It's a funny name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
Poll question doesnt match thread title. Why cant it both refer to anal sex, but also not be a slur against gays?
also this. ladies and hetero dudes can't like butt stuff?
Old 10-10-2019, 04:20 PM
SOA

I think of butthurt as someone who got bruised feelings over not getting their way on something - just like a child who got spanked and has a bruised butt and is upset about not getting their way.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
or vice versa?

Anyway, I didn't notice that when I voted, but I guess I thought it was a gay slur because it was a reference to anal sex, so my vote doesn't need to change.

I hadn't considered it might be a reference to spanking. But that doesn't make sense to me, because I feel the subtext to "butthurt" is "you are overly sensitive", and I don't see how that might be related to "you were spanked by your parents" but I can see how it could be a slur along the lines of "you are overly sensitive, like a gay man who isn't tough and manly".

I never heard the phrase until recently. I guess google ngrams support that it's a new phrase.
https://books.google.com/ngrams/grap...20hurt%3B%2Cc0
Old 10-10-2019, 04:53 PM
SOA

Studying for a hobby.
Favorite beer: Guinness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
or vice versa?

Anyway, I didn't notice that when I voted, but I guess I thought it was a gay slur because it was a reference to anal sex, so my vote doesn't need to change.

I hadn't considered it might be a reference to spanking. But that doesn't make sense to me, because I feel the subtext to "butthurt" is "you are overly sensitive", and I don't see how that might be related to "you were spanked by your parents" but I can see how it could be a slur along the lines of "you are overly sensitive, like a gay man who isn't tough and manly".

I never heard the phrase until recently. I guess google ngrams support that it's a new phrase.
https://books.google.com/ngrams/grap...20hurt%3B%2Cc0
I also always assumed it was a gay slur and don't use it, but everything on the first page of my Google search suggests it is related to spanking.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Repair Man View Post
overanal-izing?
(audible groan)

I don't know the origin but assumed it came from gay sex, which would maybe qualify as a slur, which is why I avoid the phrase (not sure if I've ever used, but I try not to, not as hard as I try with clear and unambiguous slurs like n*****). Would love to be educated by some of our language scholars.

Even if the origin is not gay sex, I think that's what most people think it means, which matters. Even something that didn't originate as a slur can become a slur, if enough people use it that way.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:19 PM
SOA

So is calling someone a “pain in the butt” or saying that someone has a “stick up their butt” gay slurs too? I don’t think so. Those terms have been around forever. Just because something refers to butt pain doesn’t mean it is a homophobic slur.