Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 03-18-2017, 08:05 PM
CAS SOA

College: Alum, Saint Mary's College of California
Favorite beer: A&W Root...
Unhappy Groundwork for Resume Given Problematic Life History

Iíve posted some resumes here before and I used them to apply for a decent number of positions during the 2nd half of 2016. I got 2 in-person interviews and a video-recorded interview. I received no offers. After that, I decided to sit for a 3rd exam (MFE) which I passed a few days ago. Now, Iím going to start applying again and I think I need to go further outside my comfort zone this time. Thatís why I want to get feedback on some problematic aspects of my life history that in the past Iíve tried to gloss over. So, here goes:

I wonít describe my parents right now, but the main issue is that I had a stunted emotional growth for about 25 years. At that point, I had never had a full-time job, lived away from my parents, or learned to drive and I had dropped out of college with 3 classes before graduating with a BA in math. Thatís the short story.

At age 25, I quite randomly met someone on Facebook who inspired me to start growing up. In a year, I finished college, left the US/Canada for the first time (flying alone to Peru without speaking Spanish), decided to get married, and moved to Peru. My wife had a very small business selling clothes, accessories, and stationery and we decided that I would assist her until I found a job teaching English. Unfortunately, my wife realized that I was too immature and naÔve to get a job (looking back, I donít doubt her judgment) where we lived and I ended up just being her all-purpose assistant/advisor. After three years, we decided that her business could not support us and that we needed to come to the US, so I could get a decent job. On the plus side, I had become conversational in Spanish and had gained at least 10 years in emotional maturity. We moved in with my dad and I started studying for exams P and FM, which I passed in September 2015 and April 2016. That basically brings us to where we started.
So, Iím 32, Iíve passed P, FM, and MFE, and I have a BA in math from a liberal arts school.

On the negative side:
-My only paid jobs have been part-time tutoring positions
-I graduated 8 years after starting college
-I have nothing resembling leadership experience
-Little experience with programming (none until I started studying for exams)
-Iím socially awkward/anxious

On the positive side:
-Iíve passed some exams (better than nothing)
-I had a decent GPA (a bit less than 3.5)
-I have a strong track record of interest (I took college math classes every Summer from age 13 to 17) and ability (perfect scores on SAT I, SAT II, AP Calculus BC [after only taking AB], and Exam P) in math
-A strong history of performance in written and spoken communication in college
-Demonstrated skill in communicating technical/quantitative concepts (good reviews for tutoring work)
-Life experience that gets attention (I lived in Peru for 3 years)

Of uncertain value:
-I speak Spanish on a conversational level
-I went to a liberal arts school
-Time in Peru and work with diverse tutees give me experience with gross-cultural communication
-I passed exams on first attempts
-I studied completely on my own without paid resourced other than Ross, Daniel & Vaaler, and McDonald
-I was in choir and a couple of musicals during high school and college
-I enjoy reading, posting, and talking about econ and policy topics
-I took courses related to other interesting/odd personal interests (eg. Comparative Religion and Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
-I decided to move to Peru despite not speaking the language (Bold? Crazy? Lacking in judgment?)

If anyone is still reading at this point, I would appreciate any guidance on what to emphasize and de-emphasize in my resume and other interactions and how to communicate those things in the most effective ways.

Thank you in advance!
Old 03-18-2017, 08:14 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

All the personal stuff belongs OFF the resume. Stuff that shows what you can offer an employer stays on. OK, I admit I didn't read the whole thing.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Nov. 20, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Actuario View Post
Therapists should ask the right questions, not give the right answers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:48 PM
CAS SOA

I didn't intend to make it appear that I was planning to talk about my personal emotional development on my resume/cover letter or in an interview. I only wrote about that to give context to my current situation and why I'm struggling to find the best way to present myself. Still, thank you for taking the time to respond.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:58 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasparin View Post
I didn't intend to make it appear that I was planning to talk about my personal emotional development on my resume/cover letter or in an interview. I only wrote about that to give context to my current situation and why I'm struggling to find the best way to present myself. Still, thank you for taking the time to respond.
might not be in the position to give you advice... but if I was a hiring manager and I saw "traveled South America" for 8 years on a resume for an EL job, I'd prolly interview the guy.

Spoiler:

"You have proven inferiority by displaying superiority in an inferior field" - me in real life.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:20 PM

Have you been back in the US for 18+ months without a job?
Old 03-18-2017, 09:24 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DansGinger View Post
might not be in the position to give you advice... but if I was a hiring manager and I saw "traveled South America" for 8 years on a resume for an EL job, I'd prolly interview the guy.
Interesting. Just to clarify, I lived in Peru for 3 years, in 2 cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooBeay View Post
Have you been back in the US for 18+ months without a job?
I arrived exactly 2 years ago and I have not found work.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:

That is a huge red flag to work around. My advice is to find any job possible as soon as possible.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:32 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:

well i mean you can always exaggerate -- you lived in south america for a bunch of years. say you did some crazy stuff and that you tutored/taught to make ends meet and that you ran your wifes business (a resume doesn't have to be all clean and cuddly.... you're gonna have to be a bit dirty to get interviews) ... if a HR lady asks you why they should hire you instead of a 21 year old who can stay with the company for longer say that you have a calling for actuarial work and spin something off from your Peru experiences.

Spoiler:

"You have proven inferiority by displaying superiority in an inferior field" - me in real life.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:35 PM
SOA

TMI
Old 03-18-2017, 09:43 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Corona :)

You are part of the long-term unemployed now given you have had no job for 2 years.

I'm not a fan of a person looking for any job, not matter how terrible primarily because they don't apport much to the CV, but surely you can apply to office-based jobs?

Because as of right now you need real office experience.

Tags
career changer, entry level advice, entry level resume, happy ending, no internships