Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam 4/C - Construction and Evaluation of Actuarial Models
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:18 PM
SOA

College: Penn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Lundegaard View Post
I didn't pass. I didn't start studying until right around three months until the exam. I watched all of the CA videos and made the mistake of doing the end of section problems in the first month. This totally held me back from learning all of the material quickly, which I should have been doing from the get go. Eventually, I came to my senses and just watched all of the videos. This gave me a little over two weeks to do practice exams. I ended up doing seven ADAPT PEs and didn't get my EL above 3. However, I felt surprisingly prepared. I had most formulas memorized and felt like I gave myself a fighting chance. I probably got a 4 or 5. Given that I made that progress in such a short time, I'm feeling very good about the June sitting. I will make sure to nail SOA 307 next time around.
This was also my situation. I didn't start until a week after I sat for MLC last Fall, and deliberately worked practice problems into the ground on every little section. How stupid! This exam is all about how much material from the very wide variety of syllabus topics you can fit into your brain on exam day.

As of Exam Day, my EL was a cool 4.almost-five, but I had focused mostly on completing the SOA 307. In my practice, I routinely had to rely on brute force MLE or brute force Posterior distribution calculation (I think I got one actual conjugate prior question on the exam which took me 90 seconds to figure out). Make no mistake, in June, I'm taking this thing armed to the teeth with every shortcut formula in the playbook.

All that being said, my exam day experience was fairly pleasant and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that I got somewhere in the 4/5 range.

Quote:
anyways this sucks. i walked into the exam planning to get my ASA, but i guess that will have to wait
Same - that's the biggest letdown. I can handle failing a tough actuarial exam, but knowing that barely failing means having to take an extra one that nobody knows anything about is a top-shelf bummer.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:37 PM
SOA

Not trying to start drama but I feel like there were quite a few people who just needed C and didn't pass ...

I need to get a better understanding of the parametric stuff. Not "find the MLE..." I know how to do that. I had some issues with the "which one of these ..." problems because I didn't know my definitions well enough. I definitely feel like it was a lot more conceptually challenging than I had imagined.

I'm seeing some posts say some people passed only using the 307 or that most problems were like the 307 - from my experience, maybe only 1/3 of the problems are like what's in the 307 and you can confidently solve half the problems with full understanding of the sample questions, but half isn't enough to pass.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:37 PM
SOA

Just remembered, I got a question that was definitely more of an MLC question.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:40 PM

Are we allowed to discuss the questions now that the examination period is over?
Old 02-13-2018, 04:17 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 4
Favorite beer: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aread View Post
Are we allowed to discuss the questions now that the examination period is over?
didn't we sign something saying we can't ever discuss them? Did I read that wrong?
Old 02-13-2018, 05:15 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
Just remembered, I got a question that was definitely more of an MLC question.
Funny, I was looking at the syllabus for MLC earlier and one of my questions fit right in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aread View Post
I think you can discuss exams only if they've been released.

Does anyone know if the performance levels represent actual quantitative ranges like maybe high>=80, low <=60?
Old 02-13-2018, 05:42 PM
SOA

Failed. had an EL around 5, did all the TIA exams and SOA 307. Felt prepared going in but i feel like i got demolished
Old 02-13-2018, 06:25 PM
CAS

College: 1st year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totient(43) View Post
Funny, I was looking at the syllabus for MLC earlier and one of my questions fit right in.

If your question has anything to do with "constant hazard rate" (which is a sort MLC topic and stumped me on my first sitting), it's just referring to exact exposure. (SOA Sample 303 for reference)
Old 02-13-2018, 06:39 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsanity View Post
If your question has anything to do with "constant hazard rate" (which is a sort MLC topic and stumped me on my first sitting), it's just referring to exact exposure. (SOA Sample 303 for reference)
Nope, nothing like 303. It wasn't super unfair or anything, there is SOME overlap in the material ... I was just shocked to see a question like that on C. There's one in the sample that is MLC-ish and it's interesting because based on the discussion of that question people were saying that material is now on MLC and is unlikely to be tested on C ...
Old 02-14-2018, 11:03 AM
SOA

Psh, the SOA isn’t getting another dime from me.