Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Short-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register


Short-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam C Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-10-2018, 12:13 AM
LRoss716 LRoss716 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Studying for Exam C
Posts: 94
Default TIA STAM

I purchased the TIA C Seminar for June.

I've just decided to push it off til October, which will then be STAM.

TIA has put a hold on my seminar.

My concern is, when I begin studying in May, will the seminar be efficient for STAM?

I emailed them asking for details and they were very short and didn't answer regarding any differences to the seminar.

Any of you know any info about this?

Thanks.
__________________
VEE
P FM MFE MLC STAM PA
FAP: 1 2 3 4 IA 6 7 FA
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-10-2018, 02:11 AM
Jim Daniel's Avatar
Jim Daniel Jim Daniel is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Davis, CA
College: Wabash College B.A. 1962, Stanford Ph.D. 1965
Posts: 2,688
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoss716 View Post
I purchased the TIA C Seminar for June.

I've just decided to push it off til October, which will then be STAM.

TIA has put a hold on my seminar.

My concern is, when I begin studying in May, will the seminar be efficient for STAM?

I emailed them asking for details and they were very short and didn't answer regarding any differences to the seminar.

Any of you know any info about this?

Thanks.
I have no clue about the TIA videos, but STAM has dropped a fair amount of material from C and added a lot of new material---I estimate the result to be nearly 20% more material than is in C. That's a guess, of course, especially since a chunk of the material of unknown length and content (the study note that is a supplement to Chapter 3 of the loss reserving material) has yet to be released. So my estimate ignores that material. My own face-to-face seminar for STAM will probably be 6 days instead of the 5 for C/4. I'm currently designing it.
__________________
Jim Daniel
Jim Daniel's Actuarial Seminars
www.actuarialseminars.com
jimdaniel@actuarialseminars.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-11-2018, 09:35 PM
daaaave daaaave is offline
David Revelle
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,005
Default

There is going to be a new seminar for STAM. There are enough changes to the syllabus that everything is being re-recorded, including both the material that is on both C and STAM as well as the material that is new for STAM.

As initial subscriptions are for 6 months, the STAM seminar will become available somewhat over 6 months before the first sitting of STAM (so sometime in March). My belief is that people who currently have access to the C seminar will get access to the STAM seminar at that point as well. That is what we have done with seminar changes in the past, but splitting off the CAS people to MAS-II might complicate that.
__________________

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-13-2018, 09:55 PM
LRoss716 LRoss716 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Studying for Exam C
Posts: 94
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daaaave View Post
There is going to be a new seminar for STAM. There are enough changes to the syllabus that everything is being re-recorded, including both the material that is on both C and STAM as well as the material that is new for STAM.

As initial subscriptions are for 6 months, the STAM seminar will become available somewhat over 6 months before the first sitting of STAM (so sometime in March). My belief is that people who currently have access to the C seminar will get access to the STAM seminar at that point as well. That is what we have done with seminar changes in the past, but splitting off the CAS people to MAS-II might complicate that.
David,

Thanks for that information.

Jen Weltzin of TIA has let me know that she has put a note in on my account that I have a full 6 months to use at any time. I really hope I wouldn't have an issue using that for the STAM seminar, if there is a complication having access to both :'(

I just passed MLC but I heard C is a beast! Hope STAM doesn't make it worse!
__________________
VEE
P FM MFE MLC STAM PA
FAP: 1 2 3 4 IA 6 7 FA
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-14-2018, 12:28 PM
MathDoctorG MathDoctorG is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The 'ville
College: Cornell
Posts: 644
Default

Quote:
I really hope I wouldn't have an issue using that for the STAM seminar, if there is a complication having access to both :'(
This shouldn't be an issue. If it were to be, please send me an email: lee@theinfiniteactuary.com
__________________

MAS-I Seminar, TIA Learn IOS App
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.19000 seconds with 11 queries