Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Short-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Short-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam C Forum

Old 02-10-2018, 12:13 AM
SOA

Studying for Exam C
Default TIA STAM

I purchased the TIA C Seminar for June.

I've just decided to push it off til October, which will then be STAM.

TIA has put a hold on my seminar.

My concern is, when I begin studying in May, will the seminar be efficient for STAM?

I emailed them asking for details and they were very short and didn't answer regarding any differences to the seminar.

Any of you know any info about this?

Thanks.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:11 AM
SOA

College: Wabash College B.A. 1962, Stanford Ph.D. 1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoss716 View Post
I purchased the TIA C Seminar for June.

I've just decided to push it off til October, which will then be STAM.

TIA has put a hold on my seminar.

My concern is, when I begin studying in May, will the seminar be efficient for STAM?

I emailed them asking for details and they were very short and didn't answer regarding any differences to the seminar.

Any of you know any info about this?

Thanks.
I have no clue about the TIA videos, but STAM has dropped a fair amount of material from C and added a lot of new material---I estimate the result to be nearly 20% more material than is in C. That's a guess, of course, especially since a chunk of the material of unknown length and content (the study note that is a supplement to Chapter 3 of the loss reserving material) has yet to be released. So my estimate ignores that material. My own face-to-face seminar for STAM will probably be 6 days instead of the 5 for C/4. I'm currently designing it.
jimdaniel@actuarialseminars.com
Old 02-11-2018, 09:35 PM
David Revelle

There is going to be a new seminar for STAM. There are enough changes to the syllabus that everything is being re-recorded, including both the material that is on both C and STAM as well as the material that is new for STAM.

As initial subscriptions are for 6 months, the STAM seminar will become available somewhat over 6 months before the first sitting of STAM (so sometime in March). My belief is that people who currently have access to the C seminar will get access to the STAM seminar at that point as well. That is what we have done with seminar changes in the past, but splitting off the CAS people to MAS-II might complicate that.

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn
Old 02-13-2018, 09:55 PM
SOA

Studying for Exam C

Quote:
Originally Posted by daaaave View Post
There is going to be a new seminar for STAM. There are enough changes to the syllabus that everything is being re-recorded, including both the material that is on both C and STAM as well as the material that is new for STAM.

As initial subscriptions are for 6 months, the STAM seminar will become available somewhat over 6 months before the first sitting of STAM (so sometime in March). My belief is that people who currently have access to the C seminar will get access to the STAM seminar at that point as well. That is what we have done with seminar changes in the past, but splitting off the CAS people to MAS-II might complicate that.
David,

Thanks for that information.

Jen Weltzin of TIA has let me know that she has put a note in on my account that I have a full 6 months to use at any time. I really hope I wouldn't have an issue using that for the STAM seminar, if there is a complication having access to both :'(

I just passed MLC but I heard C is a beast! Hope STAM doesn't make it worse!
Old 02-14-2018, 12:28 PM
Non-Actuary

College: Cornell

Quote:
I really hope I wouldn't have an issue using that for the STAM seminar, if there is a complication having access to both :'(
This shouldn't be an issue. If it were to be, please send me an email: lee@theinfiniteactuary.com

MAS-I Seminar, TIA Learn IOS App