Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Finance - Investments
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Finance - Investments Sub-forum: Non-Actuarial Personal Finance/Investing

Old 03-16-2010, 02:42 PM
Mary Pat Campbell

Studying for Anglo-Saxon
Favorite beer: Bass Ale

Just reminds me of musical chairs... I think the music has stopped.

As for actions vs. words.... rate changes are lagging indicators most of the time. China not rolling over Treasuries... yeah, that's a signal of something.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:48 PM
SOA AAA

College: Meeeshigan
Favorite beer: Bell's Two Hearted IPA & kunhenn's DRIPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormLetter View Post
Anybody smell protectionism around the bend?
My firm belief is that if things get real ugly from a financial perspective then there is a world war around the bend.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:01 PM
Mary Pat Campbell

Studying for Anglo-Saxon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilty Bystander View Post
My firm belief is that if things get real ugly from a financial perspective then there is a world war around the bend.
Interesting that China has whole bunch of excess males handy just for the purpose.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:17 PM

Yeah and they have full stones if you know what I mean, so they will have some aggression to let out.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:35 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: A & W Root
Cool T-bills, tea bills, tables

A bonding experience: WWIII based on Treasuries. We could call it the "Risk-Free Rate War."
Old 03-17-2010, 10:54 AM
JohnAdams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
Words are meaningless without actions. Moody's is threatening to do something at some point ... maybe. This has as much power as a rebuke of someone in Congress: none. Considering the track record of the major rating companies in identifying institutions in trouble, we can expect Moody's to actually do something about 6 months after shit hits the fan. In other news, Bernanke and Geithner are committed to reducing systemic risk and believe that failing institutions should not be propped up.

:pray: Please let us sell the current house and buy a new one before mortgage rates blow up. [Of course, if interest rates take off I expect the U.S. government to just cap the interest rate borrowers pay at something like 5-6% and agree to eat the rest in the name of "saving the economy from ruin."]

I've been hearing about how protectionism was imminent for 2 years now. I think it eventually comes along in a last-ditch, desperate measure - but I still don't think it's imminent [read: in 2010].

Both parties have been [and continue to be] completely irresponsible wrt government spending. The only difference is whose ox is getting gored by the decisions made; neither party is willing to make the hard choices that are necessary to right the financial ship of this country - and as a result, we're all going to suffer for it.

Obama would be in much better shape if he had stuck to the campaign speeches and gone after corruption on Wall Street and focused on slashing government spending; instead, he all but handed Wall Street everything it wanted and a bag of loot as a bonus, and proceeded to try and ram through even more government spending in a half-assed healthcare bill. There's no way he's backtracking on either of those things without killing what little credibility he has left, and as a result he's probably doomed himself to just one term as President. [Unless the GOP trots out some idiot like Romney or Palin to run for President - in which case, all bets are off.] That can't be laid at the feet of the other party.
We had a budget surplus when the Bushbarians rolled into town. They decimated the country through gross fiscal irresponsibility.

It should be illegal to increase spending while decreasing taxes. It ensures re-election because people really are that short sighted. It guarantees a financial quagmire after the guilty party has flown the coop.

Bush and Cheney about ruined this country. We went from relative freedom to a leading electronic police state.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:48 PM
AktŁerler Derneği

Favorite beer: PBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
:pray: Please let us sell the current house and buy a new one before mortgage rates blow up. [Of course, if interest rates take off I expect the U.S. government to just cap the interest rate borrowers pay at something like 5-6% and agree to eat the rest in the name of "saving the economy from ruin."]
If and when mortgage rates blow up, I would think housing prices would fall. I think I might rather buy at 20% interest rates and hope to refinance later.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:52 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for Nothing!!!!
College: Lehigh University Alum
Favorite beer: Yuengling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Raschke View Post
If and when mortgage rates blow up, I would think housing prices would fall. I think I might rather buy at 20% interest rates and hope to refinance later.
A $400K house at 5% would have the same (30 yr, fixed) payment as a $128,502 house at 20%. That's a heck of a housing drop.

Play in the AO Prediction Game now!

Old 03-17-2010, 12:59 PM
Mary Pat Campbell

Studying for Anglo-Saxon

What happened in the early 80s re: the housing market?

That was the last time we had super-high interest rates.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:51 PM

High interest was coupled with inflation in the early 80's. Perhaps it will be this time too. Interesting.

Tags
interest rates, treasuries