Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Short-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Short-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam C Forum

Old 10-23-2010, 07:56 PM
SOA

Some of the questions on exam 3 seem to be insane... Seriously... a problem that requires partial fraction decomposition? Really?
Old 10-24-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMI View Post
I'm not sure why everyone thought PE 4 is the hardest. I think it's much easier than 3.
I did better on 4 than the first 3. I think the extra 2 - 4 weeks of preparation has helped.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:55 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: Yuengling

What about the other half of the practice exams, 5-10?

Are the ASM practice exams supposed to become more difficult or should they all be around the same difficulty? I haven't taken any yet, but I'd rather avoid ones that are unnecessarily difficult or obscure, since those usually are only good for shattering my pre-exam confidence.

Thanks in advance for the opinons!
Old 10-25-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxpst13 View Post

Are the ASM practice exams supposed to become more difficult or should they all be around the same difficulty? I haven't taken any yet, but I'd rather avoid ones that are unnecessarily difficult or obscure, since those usually are only good for shattering my pre-exam confidence.

Didn't take 5 to 10 yet so I cannot comment.

I find these ASM exams to be extra difficult (and getting >50% has been a confidence booster). There are several obscure questions and it's good practice to skip them and come back with an educated guess or pick 'B' if low on time (like you should do on exam day).
Old 10-25-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSMajor View Post
Didn't take 5 to 10 yet so I cannot comment.

I find these ASM exams to be extra difficult (and getting >50% has been a confidence booster). There are several obscure questions and it's good practice to skip them and come back with an educated guess or pick 'B' if low on time (like you should do on exam day).
Definitely a good practice to skip and come back, but be careful of inflating your practice exam scores with your educated guesses, unless it's a very educated guess. Remember, you could just as well have guessed incorrectly.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:25 PM

Default Practice Exam Scores

Just finished the 10th and final pratice exams. Here's my scores
1: 24
2: 21
3: 21
4: 21
5: 21
6: 26
7: 26
8: 20
9: 22
10: 16

Whoever posted the first scores, I'm impressed. Hoping that the exam is no more difficult than PE 6 and 7, and I should be ok. Anyone else try exam 10 and find it to be far harder than the others?
Old 10-26-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxpst13 View Post

I haven't done 6-10 yet and I probably won't do 8-10, but I did my best on 5. I'm not sure if it's because I'm more prepared now than when I did 1-3 but I think 3 was by far the hardest of the first 5 and 2 the second hardest.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:04 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Retirement

I finished 7 last night. I'm thinking now that I'm just going to go back through them, rather than chug through the last three. Seven wasn't bad at all, but there were a couple questions that made me irate... #24 and #32 off the top of my head.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake View Post
I finished 7 last night. I'm thinking now that I'm just going to go back through them, rather than chug through the last three. Seven wasn't bad at all, but there were a couple questions that made me irate... #24 and #32 off the top of my head.
Same. I think I'm going to stop at 7.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:47 PM

Did anyone do exam 8 from Mahler, I found it to be super hard

Tags
simulation