Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Short-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Short-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam C Forum

Old 12-05-2015, 06:39 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for C
College: Penn Alumnus

Hi, I am using stolyarov study guide for exam C. Could anyone comment on its effectiveness? So far, I understand the easy ones but I imagine the material gets a lot harder down the line. Also, are there any tricks to memorize the many formulas that one would encounter when trying to prepare for exam C?

Thanks,
-ChaoS.
APC
Old 12-06-2015, 04:52 PM
CAS

looks like this will be my new thread, hello good people!
Old 12-08-2015, 09:07 PM
Non-Actuary

College: Angelo State University

Just spent a day brushing up on joint probability distributions and conditional probability distributions. My weakness is calculus and integration so hopefully I can ace this exam come June!
Old 12-09-2015, 09:37 AM
SOA

Studying for ERM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkei18 View Post
Just spent a day brushing up on joint probability distributions and conditional probability distributions. My weakness is calculus and integration so hopefully I can ace this exam come June!
I remember you from the MFE thread. Lets knock this exam out of the park in June!

FSA Exams: LP | LFV | ERM
FSA Modules: Reg & Tax | ERM | Financial Econ | DMAC
Old 12-09-2015, 07:18 PM
Non-Actuary

College: Angelo State University

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoLActuary View Post
I remember you from the MFE thread. Lets knock this exam out of the park in June!
Thanks, I agree!

This exam seems tough but I want to be more prepared than I was for MFE. Seems like this is a bit of a beefed up exam P.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:18 PM
SOA

Hi guys, how many hours do you think we need to spend to pass exam C (I use ASM study manual and have background in statistics in university)? I'm working full time now so I can only spend 2-3 hours at night for studying. I worry that it's not enough time for me. My fellows always warn me the difficulties of exam C.

I also want to take MLC in late October (and one VEE course but it's not a priority), the time from exam C to exam MLC (late June to late October) seems be a little tight to finish ASM manual with 1800 pages, so I think I have to prepare some parts of MLC from now. It's hard for me to plan to study C and MLC without any experiences. I just believe that I can spend 2-3 hours every night from now to October next year (Sometimes I think actuaries have no life hahah). Advise please!!

Last edited by kaka_like_you; 12-10-2015 at 11:58 AM..
Old 12-10-2015, 09:29 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for GH Specialty
College: Utah State University

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaka_like_you View Post
Hi guys, how many hours do you think we need to spend to pass exam C (I use ASM study manual and have background in statistics in university)? I'm working full time now so I can only spend 2-3 hours at night for studying. I worry that it's not enough time for me. My fellows always warn me the difficulties of exam C.

I also want to take MLC in late October (and one VEE course but it's not a priority), the time from exam C to exam MLC (late June to late October) seems be a little tight to finish ASM manual with 1800 pages, so I think I have to prepare some parts of MLC from now. It's hard for me to plan to study C and MLC without any experiences. I just believe that I can spend 2-3 hours every nights from now to October next year (Sometimes I think actuaries have no life hahah). Advise please!!
I can't speak to C as I'm in your boat of taking it in June as well, but this year I spent from early July til October studying for MLC for 3-4 hours a day (between work and home) and by the time I took the exam the end of the month I was getting close to 100% on the practice/past exams (and felt very confident with the actual exam sitting, though I won't get a score back til January). It will depend a lot on how well you grasp the material and such, but June to October should be plenty doable I'd say.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:02 PM
SOA

Studying for C
Favorite beer: At the moment: Double Mt. IRA

Old 12-10-2015, 01:48 PM
SOA

Studying for ILA-LRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaka_like_you View Post

I also want to take MLC in late October (and one VEE course but it's not a priority), the time from exam C to exam MLC (late June to late October) seems be a little tight to finish ASM manual with 1800 pages, so I think I have to prepare some parts of MLC from now. It's hard for me to plan to study C and MLC without any experiences. I just believe that I can spend 2-3 hours every night from now to October next year (Sometimes I think actuaries have no life hahah). Advise please!!
Advice: worry about one exam at a time. If you are going to study for C to take in June, don't worry about having enough time to study for MLC in October. If you try to study some of both at the same time, you could easily find yourself not devoting enough time to C and failing, meaning you wouldn't be taking MLC in October anyway. Worry about your next exam when you pass the one in front of you.

As for the amount of time you'll need, three hours a night from now until late June would give you nearly 600 hours of studying.. You have more than enough time for C.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:01 AM
SOA

Studying for FA
Favorite beer: Oberon

Might as well hop on this thread now, as I'll be taking a second class in Loss Models next semester and cracking open the ASM Manual likely in January.
Hoping my second class in Life Contingencies doesn't take up too much of my available brain space.