Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam 3/MLC - Actuarial Models
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 06-23-2017, 01:36 PM
CAS SOA

College: Drake University

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcuandon View Post
At a glance, the new manual seems pretty straight forward but lacks the variety and depth of the examples of the ASM manual along with the intermittent "quizzes". But on the flip side. there are times when the ASM manual can get too detailed and starts to split hairs, making an easy concept extremely confusing. Personally, I would stick to the ASM manual.
Thanks for your feedback and checking out our new manual.

Our goal is to help students to study efficiently. The new manual is created so that it teaches the concepts concisely and then illustrates how to apply them with examples. Then, to practice, we encourage our students to do quizzes in Adapt. Because Adapt has a large pool of questions, we believe our students should use Adapt to practice directly, and hence we do not have practice problems in our manual.

From our experience, many students spend too much time reading a text or a manual relative to practicing. We want to help students to stay exam-focused and invest more time in practicing rather than reading, as we believe practicing promotes active learning, and is the best way to prepare for the exam.

To give you a better idea how other sections in our manual look like, we just added Section 2 to the free trial as well. Feel free to check them out and let us know if you have any thoughts.

Have a nice day!

Last edited by tkt; 06-23-2017 at 06:31 PM..
Old 06-23-2017, 10:27 PM
SOA

College: Mahidol university third generation

Hi guys I just pass C yesterday I feel like I will start mlc my last prelim on July.

I use CA video lesson for C but I'm quite not sure for MLC. I heard that TIA is a better resource. Anyone have any suggesting on this?
Old 06-24-2017, 09:13 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

I like how the CA manual structures the topics. However, I am not sure if the content is enough for the exam, I didnt see anything on Mortality Reduction.

But I like the flow.

Chapter 3 for the free trial wouldnt be a bad idea.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:24 PM
CAS SOA

College: Drake University

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirActSci View Post
I like how the CA manual structures the topics. However, I am not sure if the content is enough for the exam, I didnt see anything on Mortality Reduction.

But I like the flow.

Chapter 3 for the free trial wouldnt be a bad idea.
Thanks for your feedback!

Mortality reduction has never appeared on the past exams. Note that the syllabus did not mention mortality reduction in its learning objectives. The syllabus only mentioned the early retirement reduction factor, which we covered in Pension Mathematics. The manual covers all topics that had appeared on the current exams.

Please let me know if you have other questions.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:12 AM
SOA

College: Wabash College B.A. 1962, Stanford Ph.D. 1965
Default Face-to-face seminar for fall exam

My September face-to-face seminar now has sufficient registration to be certain of being offered. See my website for information on my seminars and on registration.
jimdaniel@actuarialseminars.com
Old 06-28-2017, 03:41 PM
SOA

Studying for MFE
College: University of Nebraska (alma mater)
Favorite beer: Captain Morgan
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirActSci View Post
So what do you guys think about the new coachingactuaries MLC manual?

I skimmed through it, and it looks great! I read an old version of the ASM MLC manual, and it took me from late October through February to finish, and that's going at a very steady pace. I spent probably 250 hours going through it! This new version looks a lot better, I'm impressed. I think I would spend half the time as before so I could focus on testing.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:25 PM
SOA

Studying for FAP
College: BU Alumnus

I passed C this month, so now I've got my eyes set on my last prelim...

I'm planning to use the ASM manual for content and ADAPT for practice. It worked for FM, MFE, and C, so let's hope it can get me through one more.

I'm thinking about starting modules alongside MLC... That way I can start on my IA shortly after I sit MLC. I'd really like to have my ASA before the cut-off, but I know I'm cutting it close. Any thoughts? Does it seem feasible? Here are the requirements I have left:

MLC
FaP 1-5 + IA
FaP 6-8 + FA
VEE Applied Stats (only need time series portion... frustrating...)
APC

Best wishes for studying, all!

FAP: 1 2 3 4 (Waiting for Results ) 5 IA 6 7 8 FA

VEE: Econ Finance Stats
Old 06-29-2017, 05:21 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for ERM
College: FSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoMathNotMeth View Post
I passed C this month, so now I've got my eyes set on my last prelim...

I'm planning to use the ASM manual for content and ADAPT for practice. It worked for FM, MFE, and C, so let's hope it can get me through one more.

I'm thinking about starting modules alongside MLC... That way I can start on my IA shortly after I sit MLC. I'd really like to have my ASA before the cut-off, but I know I'm cutting it close. Any thoughts? Does it seem feasible? Here are the requirements I have left:

MLC
FaP 1-5 + IA
FaP 6-8 + FA
VEE Applied Stats (only need time series portion... frustrating...)
APC

Best wishes for studying, all!
Keep in mind that the Stats VEE is worth an exam in the new structure. I'd knock that out first.
It would not be impossible to start FAP after MLC and finish before the cutoff, but would require a lot of your free time.
Focus on MLC to make sure you only have to take it once, its definitely a tough exam.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:55 AM

College: York University Undergrad

I just passed C this week, and am going to start studying for MLC soon. I've been using ADAPT for most of my studying for the previous exams, is that a good resource for MLC even though there are WA?

I also have the official textbook and solutions manual, I'm wondering how good a resource the official text is for this exam.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:16 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for ERM
College: FSU

Adapt offers WA practice questions so no worries on that front.
I've heard the official text does a good job of preparing you for the WA, but have not used it myself.
I'd say those materials combined with good study habits would give you a good shot at this.