Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-17-2017, 12:57 AM
Demerzel Demerzel is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 6
Default ALM Careers

In the trad life space, does anyone happen to know if there are there particular companies that are sort of well-known as having strong ALM organizations, particularly with opportunities at more or less the ASA level? I understand ALM is a wide universe and could involve anything from cash flow testing to risk management, anywhere someone with a liability-side background is needed on or near the asset side.

For instance I think that Prudential is widely regarded as having a strong investments/ALM org. Not sure if anyone has had firsthand experiences or heard anything about New York Life or perhaps others on the life side?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-17-2017, 11:45 AM
JMO's Avatar
JMO JMO is offline
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back home again in Indiana
Studying for Nothing actuarial.
Posts: 36,771
Default

I don't know the answer to your question. But MY question is why this isn't posted in Careers.
__________________
Carol Marler, "Just My Opinion"

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.


My latest favorite quotes, updated Feb 15, 2018. Hmmm. It's been quite a while.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
But sometimes you get someone who has that charming mix of "don't care" and "don't get it", and there's just not much you can do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro View Post
I recommend you get perspective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough Exams Already View Post
Dude, you can't fail a personality test. It just isn't that kind of test.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-17-2017, 12:05 PM
ElPatron's Avatar
ElPatron ElPatron is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 494
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demerzel View Post
In the trad life space, does anyone happen to know if there are there particular companies that are sort of well-known as having strong ALM organizations, particularly with opportunities at more or less the ASA level? I understand ALM is a wide universe and could involve anything from cash flow testing to risk management, anywhere someone with a liability-side background is needed on or near the asset side.

For instance I think that Prudential is widely regarded as having a strong investments/ALM org. Not sure if anyone has had firsthand experiences or heard anything about New York Life or perhaps others on the life side?
In general, large insurers with a diverse set of products have large ALM teams with many actuaries. Pru, Met, NYL, and AIG come to mind immediately but even mid-size companies like PacLife, Allianz, and Nationwide likely have strong teams dedicated to ALM and asset management at the corporate (company-wide) level.

My company has several people at all levels of experience within "ALM" roles.
__________________
Da svidaniya!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-28-2017, 04:39 PM
Demerzel Demerzel is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
I don't know the answer to your question. But MY question is why this isn't posted in Careers.
Thanks - perhaps someone can move this?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-28-2017, 04:51 PM
Demerzel Demerzel is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPatron View Post
In general, large insurers with a diverse set of products have large ALM teams with many actuaries. Pru, Met, NYL, and AIG come to mind immediately but even mid-size companies like PacLife, Allianz, and Nationwide likely have strong teams dedicated to ALM and asset management at the corporate (company-wide) level.

My company has several people at all levels of experience within "ALM" roles.
Thanks.

In my current role (at one of the large companies you mentioned), it seems like there are sort of two philosophical camps within ALM. There is the more business side (I guess what you would call traditional ALM) that is generally open to actuaries - with more or less opportunities depending on what the business side looks like as you mentioned.

Then there is the actual asset side (for example risk management and economic capital), and it seems like actuaries who are able to get into the latter tranche generally have advanced or professional degrees in addition to SOA credentials (for instance a Ph.D. or MBA/MFE). Does this seem to be the case at your company as well?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-28-2017, 04:58 PM
JMO's Avatar
JMO JMO is offline
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back home again in Indiana
Studying for Nothing actuarial.
Posts: 36,771
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demerzel View Post
Thanks - perhaps someone can move this?
You can move a thread (that you started) by clicking on Thread Tools.
__________________
Carol Marler, "Just My Opinion"

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.


My latest favorite quotes, updated Feb 15, 2018. Hmmm. It's been quite a while.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
But sometimes you get someone who has that charming mix of "don't care" and "don't get it", and there's just not much you can do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro View Post
I recommend you get perspective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough Exams Already View Post
Dude, you can't fail a personality test. It just isn't that kind of test.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.22040 seconds with 9 queries