Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam 4/C - Construction and Evaluation of Actuarial Models
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 09-12-2017, 04:45 PM
CAS

How hard is the C material? I liked FM and MFE, but I dreaded P, so I'm a little nervous for this because I hear C is like P on steroids.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshinforthewin View Post
How hard is the C material? I liked FM and MFE, but I dreaded P, so I'm a little nervous for this because I hear C is like P on steroids.
I needed two binders that were the same size as my ASM MFE manual's binder to get everything from my very old ASM manual in a binder. The amount is at least twice what was in P and going further than P does with it's topics.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:01 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshinforthewin View Post
probably harder than any of the exams you've taken so far.

I've already taken MLC so I don't think C will be as bad, but it's different. A LOT of material. It doesn't seem like it will actually be that hard, just hard to remember everything since there's so much stuff.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:55 PM

I should sell mine too, it's only been used for one sitting. Like new, minus the shrink wrap.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:37 PM
CAS

There was someone at my internship that started the ADAPT video lessons literally June 1st. His exam was on June 26th. Two weeks before the exam, he couldn't pass level 1 exams. Few days before the exam, finally passed level 1 exams, never passed level 3 exams, only did quizzes. He ended up passing.. and took MFE two weeks later...
Old 09-15-2017, 04:44 PM
SOA

College: AU
Favorite beer: bankston 88

checking in.

I've been working on VEE Stats while waiting for MFE results. Thankfully I passed too I'll finish up my VEE next Thursday and then it's onto C after quarter end.

planning to use TIA to learn the material and then Mahler's exams. I'll probably use the SOA questions also. how about y'all?

Old 09-17-2017, 06:38 AM
SOA

Studying for C

I'm writing in February too. My plan is to complete the TIA seminar by early December and then work TIA problems and SOA questions until two weeks before the exam. Then I was going to do the TIA practice exams during last two weeks. If I'm faster going through the material then I expect I might add some ADAPT exams and some of the Mahler exams. I'm working full time in a new position at my work so I'm going to be busy.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:57 PM
SOA

College: University of Louisville Alumni

I'm using CA -- it's expensive but hasn't let me down. I work full-time in a non-actuarial leadership role which doesn't don't spare much discipline/study-time. Plan to pass in Feb 2018 to leave a shot at getting it in June 2018 if I don't pass first try.

This time around I'm trying a different strategy. For P, FM, and MFE I essentially rushed through the material and did at most 2 practice problems/section -- since the topics built on each other applying them seemed like enough practice to avoid losing anything.

C appears to be so disjointed that there's a real risk of forgetting stuff a few weeks later, so I'm going to try setting up more cumulative adapt quizzes as I go.

Glad to have y'all here. Definitely appreciated this forum when preparing for MFE.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:43 PM

I've got my schedule set now. I found this template to use for time tracking so I can hold myself accountable. IMP the first try!!!

I've never passed on the first try but I think this goal is achievable because I have no social life lol
Old 09-22-2017, 12:00 PM
SOA

College: AU
Favorite beer: bankston 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pimp Named Slickback View Post
I've got my schedule set now. I found this template to use for time tracking so I can hold myself accountable. IMP the first try!!!

I've never passed on the first try but I think this goal is achievable because I have no social life lol
lol there's a first time for everything!! I've never passed an exam on the first attempt either. But this is the first time I'll be taking one while actually in an actuarial role/student program. I have sufficient time and resources now, not to mention a little more pressure to get it done!!

do you mind sharing the template?