Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam 4/C - Construction and Evaluation of Actuarial Models
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:15 AM
SOA

College: UWI Mona

Only have one shot to pass this to meet the deadline so I have to give it my all. Completed reading some days ago and I'm now going through the ASM end of chapter questions..Thinking of getting ADAPT at some point, not quite sure yet.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:44 AM
SOA

Studying for C
College: UT Austin Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigel View Post
It's going very slowly already as I didn't remember much of P at all! I am on schedule with the TIA lectures but I had to review section A1 three times. I decided to use the Mahler manual as well and it is helping. It seems conditional probability is my nemesis yet again
I'm using Mahler's manual, as well. I got it back in the spring, and I had intended to start studying then for the October exam being administered right now, but work got so crazy for several months I didn't have any time to study. I had intended to try to make ASA before the transition, but now it looks like I might be too late.

I'm just now getting started on the manual. I am still barely on the Poisson distribution in the Frequency Distributions guide. I have a long way to go....
Old 10-06-2017, 03:36 PM
SOA

College: AU
Favorite beer: bankston 88

getting started next week, had to wait until QE was over. this will be my first exam as an actuarial employee....gotta make a good impression!!

Old 10-09-2017, 11:52 PM
SOA

I'm selling my ASM manual. It's a 16th edition 3rd printing - no marking, including 2 binders. It's a bit older edition but it was enough for me to pass the exam. $40+shipping. PM me if interested.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:22 PM
CAS SOA

College: Alumni - George Washington University

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelayMeMaybe View Post

C appears to be so disjointed that there's a real risk of forgetting stuff a few weeks later, so I'm going to try setting up more cumulative adapt quizzes as I go.
I have to agree here. This has been my biggest issue with C. Each time that I have failed, I have gotten a mix of high and low in opposite categories of the time before. Has anyone been able to combat this issue successfully? How are you retaining/refreshing material from the earlier topics when you are moving forward?
Old 10-10-2017, 04:10 PM
SOA

Studying for C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngiletto View Post
How are you retaining/refreshing material from the earlier topics when you are moving forward?
I've just begun, but I'm trying the following tactics:

Regular study session:
1) Listen to the assigned TIA lecture and make sure I can do all the in lecture examples and exercises without referring to the solution.
2) Review notes from yesterday's assigned lecture and complete and correct the TIA assigned first pass questions for yesterday's lecture.
3) If finished a section (example: TIA A1) make concise study pack notes. These notes contain the information I think I'll need to refer to while doing practice questions. I revise these as I encounter problems that require more information.
4) Complete and correct a 5 question cumulative quiz randomized from all prior material. I make sure I really understand the solutions and where I messed up.

Every weekend:
1) Review notes and retry missed TIA problems from the week.
2) Take a 10 question Adapt quiz (just using level 1-5 for now) on all material covered so far. I make sure I really understand the solutions and where I messed up.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:38 AM
SOA

College: AU
Favorite beer: bankston 88

i started yesterday, and i have a lot of probability/calculus refreshing to do.... I'm already nervous

Old 10-11-2017, 09:48 AM
CAS SOA

College: Alumni - George Washington University

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigel View Post
I've just begun, but I'm trying the following tactics:

Regular study session:
1) Listen to the assigned TIA lecture and make sure I can do all the in lecture examples and exercises without referring to the solution.
2) Review notes from yesterday's assigned lecture and complete and correct the TIA assigned first pass questions for yesterday's lecture.
3) If finished a section (example: TIA A1) make concise study pack notes. These notes contain the information I think I'll need to refer to while doing practice questions. I revise these as I encounter problems that require more information.
4) Complete and correct a 5 question cumulative quiz randomized from all prior material. I make sure I really understand the solutions and where I messed up.

Every weekend:
1) Review notes and retry missed TIA problems from the week.
2) Take a 10 question Adapt quiz (just using level 1-5 for now) on all material covered so far. I make sure I really understand the solutions and where I messed up.
This sounds like a very thorough plan! I think I am going to go back to the basics and try to understand the theory behind everything. It seems I may have been a little took focused on problem after problem and got used to the tricks and shortcuts. From the feedback of other people who passed, knowing all of the first principles type information helped them to understand the tricks and dissect the wordy questions to get to the core mechanics.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:36 PM
SOA

Studying for C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngiletto View Post
This sounds like a very thorough plan!
Yes very thorough plan, but if I run into a long work day I'm likely to only get through my lecture and first pass problems. (; So I have good intentions - but it's not always practical.

From those you talked to who passed, did they say if any topic was more important than others as far as knowing the first principles really well?
Old 10-12-2017, 03:59 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for Predictive Analytics& FAP
College: Roosevelt University Alumnus '10
Favorite beer: Jawa Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusp View Post
Only have one shot to pass this to meet the deadline so I have to give it my all. Completed reading some days ago and I'm now going through the ASM end of chapter questions..Thinking of getting ADAPT at some point, not quite sure yet.
There's 2 more sittings. Feb and June
Actuarial: LTAM | STAM | SRM
Advanced: (e-Learning)FAP, (Project)Predictive Analytics
Seminar: APC