Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam 4/C - Construction and Evaluation of Actuarial Models
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 10-18-2017, 11:40 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for C
College: University of Wisconsin-River Falls
Default Registration

Does anyone think the registration will open up as early as the October sitting did? It was 3 months before for this last one.

VEE

Modules 1-5, IA
Modules 6-8, FA

APC
Old 10-18-2017, 01:21 PM
CAS

College: 1st year

Wondering if anyone knows of a good source to brush up algebra and calculus from? Primarily, I need to work on algebra involving logs and e, integration by part, quotient rule and how to simplify expressions.

It's been a while I last dealt with algebra/calculus and I'm afraid my rustiness was what cost me a pass in the October sitting.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:54 PM
SOA

Studying for C
College: UT Austin Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsanity View Post
Wondering if anyone knows of a good source to brush up algebra and calculus from? Primarily, I need to work on algebra involving logs and e, integration by part, quotient rule and how to simplify expressions.

It's been a while I last dealt with algebra/calculus and I'm afraid my rustiness was what cost me a pass in the October sitting.
I think a calculus book should do the trick. There are usually review chapters at the beginning that go over a little bit of precalculus, on top of the practice you get just by learning calculus concepts. Do you still have yours from your time at a university? If not, I've actually been able to find some online just by searching with Google. You might try that.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:53 AM
SOA

College: AU
Favorite beer: bankston 88

man, I am already falling behind. I haven't been able to study at all this week. we are still working on quarter end reporting and I've been at the office until at least 6:30 every day for the past three weeks.

I'm hoping I can rest up and knock out some chapters this weekend, getting a much needed kick in the pants and forward momentum.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:36 PM
SOA

College: Bellarmine University Alumni

I went through the material for October sitting, so just reviewing for this sitting. But those of you already behind, dont feel discouraged.. I got behind right away but was able to fight through.. IMO the first several chapters of the manual took the longest. Material is super dry, and mostly review.. I made it through the manual and by the end, was only like a week or two behind by the end.
APC
Old 10-19-2017, 12:41 PM
SOA

College: Bellarmine University Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamka View Post
Hey Actuarial Brewski, been with you here and there through some of these exams, so I'm chiming in:

Try 25 question topic quizzes. There are 5 main topics. You can then target your weaker areas and review those lessons for now. Keep track if you miss a PE question like way off in left field and that's maybe a particular topic to review or even take a quiz on and/or redo ASM exercises.

BTW from Mahler I got this breakdown for topic distribution:

Frequency Distributions 6% = 2.1 questions
Loss Distribution 8% = 2.8 questions
Aggregate Distributions 6% = 2.1 questions
Risk Measures 3% = 1.1 questions
Fitting Frequency Distributions 4% = 1.4 questions
Fitting Loss Distributions 25% = 8.8 questions
Survival Analysis 12% = 4.2 questions
Credibility 27% = 8.4 questions
Simulation 9% = 3.2 questions

**The number of questions by topic varies from exam to exam**
Good to see you again, and thanks for the breakdown. Based on my October sitting, this is pretty accurate, give or take a few questions here or there.

Do you have Mahler? Is there a way to just get practice problems and not the entire manual? Worth the investment or should i just focus on ADAPT/SOA307/ASM Manual?

As for quizzes, I will definitely give this a try. I know the basics for pretty much everyhitng but just need to practice more with higher level/ exam level questions to be better prepared. I think going through my weak sections and doing harder problems should hopefully give me the extra push I need to pass in February.
APC
Old 10-19-2017, 12:51 PM
CAS SOA

College: Alumni - George Washington University

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLife View Post
Is anyone else using his manual? How are you working through it? I was tempted to just start reading through the textbook and working problems in Adapt (plus the SOA problems), but the manual is helpful and I didn't want to give up unless I really had to. Any suggestions?
I am taking this exam again and using the Mahler manuals to get deeper dives on the topics. As many others, my issue on the exam was due to all the twists and turns.

I got the textbook prior to my October attempt, and I do not recommend it. It is dense and not focused toward the exam (obviously because it was not written for the exam). I recommend ADAPT or TIA or both for access to lots of questions. I will let you know my plan of action with the Mahler material or any advice I have on that once I take a deeper dive myself.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:31 AM
SOA

Studying for C
College: Roosevelt University Alumnus '10
Favorite beer: Jawa Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuarial Brewski View Post
Good to see you again, and thanks for the breakdown. Based on my October sitting, this is pretty accurate, give or take a few questions here or there.

Do you have Mahler? Is there a way to just get practice problems and not the entire manual? Worth the investment or should i just focus on ADAPT/SOA307/ASM Manual?

As for quizzes, I will definitely give this a try. I know the basics for pretty much everyhitng but just need to practice more with higher level/ exam level questions to be better prepared. I think going through my weak sections and doing harder problems should hopefully give me the extra push I need to pass in February.
The Mahler study manual and problems are one. I've been hearing Mahler problems are great, but his PE more so. They have all the twists people see in the exam. I also heard ASM PE are brutal, and with many first principal and "you may skip" questions. Seems the two, Mahler PE and ASM PE will be overkill, but if you remember how ASM P/1 by Ostaszewski was brutal, well that's exactly how I got from a 4 to a 10 (in addition to adapt of course). I say set ADAPT on EL 5 and if you can pass with 80-100% about every time, then up it to EL 6, but don't use the my EL setting. Fix it on 5 or 6. Afterwards your EL will go to 10, but if you want they can reset it when you want to try to see how high you get without fixing the level. I figure, use ADAPT topic quizzes after reviewing a lesson that's fuzzy. Rework the lesson problems too. I did that on MLC for a 3-5 topics and got great at them this way

Predictive Analytics
FAP
APC
Old 10-22-2017, 04:35 PM
CAS SOA

College: Faculty of Sciences UNAM

I was going to attempt Exam C this October, but procrastinated too much in studying until my time was out, so I'm going for Feburary. I'm still a university student, so there wasn't too much to lose.

Started ASM a few days ago, anyone know how many study hours are required for passing Exam C on average?

Happy studying!
Old 10-22-2017, 05:32 PM
SOA

Studying for C
College: Roosevelt University Alumnus '10
Favorite beer: Jawa Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardoming7 View Post
I was going to attempt Exam C this October, but procrastinated too much in studying until my time was out, so I'm going for Feburary. I'm still a university student, so there wasn't too much to lose.

Started ASM a few days ago, anyone know how many study hours are required for passing Exam C on average?

Happy studying!
How many times I've heard exams take 300-400 hours...
I must've started ASM in July or so and am in lesson 45/64 today. Personally, I worry to much and want like 2-3months for PE and review, but that's probably way too much according to everyone. The exam has tons of material. I can't say exactly how long it'll take to solidify 100% of the material after finishing ASM, so idk...
I feel the exercises are exam style and if you do 100% of them you'll have 1up as there's TONS from previous exams. I say 3 months for ASM. You might 1 month at best unless you only do 1/2 ASM exercises, but that'll leave you less versed. Sorry I can't say but manage your time best you can. There's next June too if you're not going for ASA, so you don't need to pass by Feb.

Predictive Analytics
FAP
APC