Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam 3/MLC - Actuarial Models
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 10-10-2017, 11:28 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for MLC
College: Cal Poly San Luis Obispo

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL_Kyle View Post
Gonna buy it tonight then. Still need to take a final for the CA Micro VEE but that'll be easy peezy. Also need macro and corporate finance VEE's but that won't take more than 2 weeks. What's your aim timeline wise? I'm just hoping to get through the material ASAP then have months to take PE's and review. I (quite stupidly) waited too long to start on C, and the last month has been hell. This time I'd like the last month before the exam to be a lot less frantic.
the ASM Manual has an 11 week schedule but I'll probably spend 4 months going over the material and spend 2 months doing practice exams/problems. Hopefully that's enough time for practice. It seems like time (only 4 hours) is a big issue with this exam.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:34 PM
SOA

Studying for Time Series, Regression

Just passed C yesterday. Now working on regression and time series courses in my university to get my SRM exempted.

I’m actually wondering if i should take MLC in spring 2018 because i will be an actuarial intern from January to June for an insurance company. I’m worried that i wont have enough time for studying.... Any advice?
Old 10-11-2017, 03:44 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for MLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemorizingFormulas View Post
Just passed C yesterday. Now working on regression and time series courses in my university to get my SRM exempted.

I’m actually wondering if i should take MLC in spring 2018 because i will be an actuarial intern from January to June for an insurance company. I’m worried that i wont have enough time for studying.... Any advice?
Do FM and MFE. If you can pass C then you can definitely pass those two. I wouldn't even think about MLC if I were you.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:05 AM
SOA

Studying for Time Series, Regression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasplash View Post
Do FM and MFE. If you can pass C then you can definitely pass those two. I wouldn't even think about MLC if I were you.
Well, my first SOA exam was FM and i actually failed it...
Since then i started working hard on the exams lol
And now actually i am taking courses that prepares me MLC in my university this semester. It seems wasting time if i take MLC long time after this semester because that means i will need to study the same material twice lol once for exams in university, once for the real MLC
Old 10-14-2017, 03:21 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC
College: Vanderbilt Alum
Favorite beer: Lucky Bucket IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasplash View Post
the ASM Manual has an 11 week schedule but I'll probably spend 4 months going over the material and spend 2 months doing practice exams/problems. Hopefully that's enough time for practice. It seems like time (only 4 hours) is a big issue with this exam.
I'm probably going to do the same thing. I just passed C last week and was debating whether or not to start FAP at the same time as MLC. I think I'll just gun it for the April 2018 sitting and I can hit FAP while waiting for MLC results.
FAP: 1 2 3 4 5 IA 6 7 8 FA
APC
Old 10-14-2017, 03:23 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for MLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsowe View Post
I'm probably going to do the same thing. I just passed C last week and was debating whether or not to start FAP at the same time as MLC. I think I'll just gun it for the April 2018 sitting and I can hit FAP while waiting for MLC results.
Good plan Commodore.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:51 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for MLC

Just started Lesson 6 on the ASM manual. Hopefully I'm not going to slow. How's everyone else doing?
Old 10-24-2017, 12:41 PM
SOA

Studying for MFE
College: Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuarymeryl View Post
Basically it was because I had attempted MLC before they changed the curriculum. Since it was the last time before the curriculum would change (and be included as CAS) I took the exam but was unsuccessful. I took Exam C (but TIA) for the same reason because the curriculum would change. Since I took the coaching actuaries for MLC, I still have the 6 month subscription. Same with Exam C. I also waited because I thought the MFE curriculum change back them would make it easier. I have questioned why I am doing the easiest exam last but it just turned out that way. Hopefully I pass both MLC and C next year. I have not gotten an Actuarial job yet due to only passing 2 exams so I'll try my luck with 4 exams. I heard it's not a good idea to do 5 exams without any work experience. Also if I am successful getting my foot in the door, it would be beneficial to have to do the easiest exam while working full time. If I am not successful getting into Actuarial Science after 4 exams, I may have to move to the US or drop the career all together (even though I really want to be an Actuary and am not sure what to do if not that).

I think you're trying to take on too much tbh. C and MLC are beasts. MLC is harder IMO. I think it would be more advantageous to work on interview skills, resumes, and applying for internships as getting your foot in the actuarial door should be relatively simple with 2 exams passed.

Companies don't want to pay the 4 Exam salary to employees with 0 yrs of work experience.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:06 AM
SOA

College: Graduate, Bsc Accounting and Finance

Most probably joining you guys for April after a horrible attempt today. Time to take out some VEEs and then get back to MLC study schedule.

VEEs: Economics Finance Statistics

Old 10-27-2017, 11:55 AM
SOA

Studying for MLC
College: Vanderbilt Alum
Favorite beer: Lucky Bucket IPA

Hang in there--you might surprise yourself. Sending lots of good karma to all the MLC takers today--it's eerily (but, of course, not unexpectedly) quiet on the Fall 2017 thread right now.
FAP: 1 2 3 4 5 IA 6 7 8 FA
APC