Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam 3/MLC - Actuarial Models
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 09-27-2006, 02:55 PM
Actuarial Outpost Administrator
Contact me: Send me a PM
or email me
tom.troceen@dwsimpson.com
CAS SOA COPA

Location: Sitting in front of a red button w/ your name on it
College: FSU ActSci Alumni
Favorite beer: Root
Post Done with the exam? Share your Exam 3/M study notes here!

You can post your notes online using the upload button after clicking post reply, or you can always email them to me at tom(at)actuarialoutpost.com. If that isn't easy enough, just PM me here and I can send you my fax number or we can work something else out!

Any questions about what/how to post, can be answered here!

Thanks!

=====================
\\\\\\\ please read ///////
=====================

All posts in this thread that do not have notes attached will be deleted!

Members who donate notes* will be added to a user group much like the site supporters. This group will have added privileges such as a larger avatar and a custom user title other than 'member.'

Please note that some notes may be out of date, contain information that may no longer be tested, or not cover all required information for your exam. Please check your exam syllabus for a list of required study topics for your exam, before using these notes.

Notes that have been donated have not been checked for accuracy! If you do find an error in any of the notes, please feel free to point them out to me (or the original poster) via PM and I can edit the post where they were uploaded to call the error to everyone's attention.

Please only post notes that you own or have permission to post. Please respect otherís intellectual property and only post notes that meet our copyright policy.

Thanks again,

Tom

*a respectable amount

=====================
/////// please read \\\\\\\
=====================
Old 10-26-2006, 08:39 AM
Note Contributor
CAS

Default Notes for Exam 3/M

See in attachment a pretty decent set of notes.

Disclaimer:
i) There are a few typos I can remember of.
ii) I took the exam during the Fall 2005, I don't know
how relevant the material covered in these notes is to
the current syllabus.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Exam_M_Notes_F05.pdf (318.4 KB, 36354 views)
Old 03-23-2007, 05:17 PM
Note Contributor
SOA

Favorite beer: Cold
Default SOA157 - Posted Actuarial Exams Concordance and Discrepancies

Although this may exist elsewhere, I haven't seen it. The SOA 157 sample questions were just old posted exam questions. This is a pdf file that matches the problems. It should be clear how to read the file. For example, the file indicates problem number 49 from the SOA 157 sample questions is the same as number 24 from the November 2002 exam, whereas problem number 95 from the SOA 157 sample questions is no longer being tested on MLC.

The second file indicates some differences between the two groups of problems.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf SOA157 - Posted Exams Concordance.pdf (12.5 KB, 3841 views)
File Type: pdf SOA157 - Posted Exams Discrepancies.pdf (19.8 KB, 2661 views)

Old 11-12-2007, 02:31 AM
CAS

Studying for CAS 9

This is the notes I used for Fall 2007 sitting of CAS 3 exam. Given the volume of materials on CAS 3, I find understanding concepts more important than memorizing formulas and facts. Therefore, my notes are written in a way that it deemphasizes memorization and develops understanding of concepts. For example there are many proofs and intuition to understanding equations that help me in deriving formulas from basic principles during an exam. If you have a good memory, flashcard is a good alternative. This should cover all materials on the new 3L and 3F exams.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf cas3 notes.pdf (607.5 KB, 6494 views)

Last edited by CtrlAltDelete; 11-12-2007 at 11:57 AM..
Old 07-14-2009, 12:59 PM
SOA

Studying for Exam C & MFE
Default MLC study sheet

I used this to help memorize things. I did one similar for P (two pages) and FM (two pages) - as opposed to 11 pages for this MLC sheet. I've distributed it around my office so it has been reviewed and corrected -as you can see it's in its 19th "edition"; however, I'm not sure it's 100% error free. Mostly, I'm just thrilled that I will never ever have to look at it again. However, I'll be doing the same for Exam C in the fall.

Last edited by jmljr66; 11-12-2009 at 10:01 PM..
Old 11-04-2009, 02:33 PM
SOA

Studying for beer

I found that it was very helpful to prepare this "cheat pamphlet" - it contains basically all the formulas that I tended to forget when working problems. It covered a decent number of problems on the test, but it's by no means exhaustive.

TeX is pretty nice for preparing stuff like this - I like the lifecon package: Style file, and here is the User's Guide.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf mlc-cheat-sheet.pdf (111.3 KB, 28999 views)
Old 11-12-2009, 10:09 PM
SOA

Studying for Exam C & MFE

John2001 noted that a password was required on the pdf I had previously posted? ? ? Don't know why that happenned . . . So I deleted the previously posted pdf, re-created the pdf and re-posted it here again -
I used this to help memorize things. I did one similar for P (two pages) and FM (two pages) - as opposed to 11 pages for this MLC sheet. I've distributed it around my office so it has been reviewed and corrected -as you can see it's in its 19th "edition"; however, I'm not sure it's 100% error free. Mostly, I'm just thrilled that I will never ever have to look at it again. However, I'll be doing the same for Exam C in the fall.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf study sheet 19.pdf (117.4 KB, 5359 views)
Old 05-14-2010, 11:44 AM

Studying for C
College: Hope College (B.S.) ND (Ph.D.)
Favorite beer: Oregon Pinot Noir

In the great tradition carried on by jmljr66 and SouthernGeek, here is the short review sheet I used for the most recent sitting. It is far from comprehensive; I focussed on the formulas/relations that I found myself constantly referring back to my notes for.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf mysummaryMLC.pdf (89.9 KB, 5115 views)
Old 05-15-2010, 10:23 PM

Studying for VEEs & FAP
College: University at Buffalo Alumni
Favorite beer: Corona w/ Lime

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGeek View Post
I found that it was very helpful to prepare this "cheat pamphlet" - it contains basically all the formulas that I tended to forget when working problems. It covered a decent number of problems on the test, but it's by no means exhaustive.

TeX is pretty nice for preparing stuff like this - I like the lifecon package: Style file, and here is the User's Guide.
How on earth do you get started in TeX? I'm trying to use LEd, but it's just too much and I don't have enough time to learn this on my own. I just want to use the lifecon package.

I can make a basic pdf file with TeX, and I understand the command, but I just don't know where to put lifecon.sty. Thanks for the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
REPENT
THE END IS NIGH
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluan View Post
You sound way too excited about studying for 7.

A bit of studying will fix that, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKenk View Post
Nope. 7 is the must pass of all must passes next spring. Can leave absolutely nothing to chance. Study schedule starts on November 15th. Is it nuts? Probably. Will I pass? Definitely. Will it be worth it? Of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKenk's blog
A bit of an early start for a second sitting, but this exam is a must pass, and there's no such thing as too much studying for a must pass
Old 05-15-2010, 11:25 PM

Studying for C
College: Hope College (B.S.) ND (Ph.D.)
Favorite beer: Oregon Pinot Noir

Quote:
I can make a basic pdf file with TeX, and I understand the command, but I just don't know where to put lifecon.sty. Thanks for the help!
In what TeX calls the "preamble". The beginning of your file should look something like:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage{lifecon}

\begin{document}
blah blah blah...

You will almost certainly want to take advantage of some of the nicer typesetting environments afforded by the amsmath package, hence my inclusion of it. The AMS has lots of nice tabular environments for cases and multi-column equations.

Although much of LaTeX can be learned from various web resources, I cannot recommend strongly enough the book by Kopka & Daly if you are going to do much TeXing down the road. It is the ultimate resource and has the benefit of being exceedingly easy to read with lots of examples and an OUTSTANDING index.

Good luck!