Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Investment / Financial Markets
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Investment / Financial Markets Old Exam MFE Forum

Old 09-18-2018, 10:59 AM
SOA

College: Purdue University Alumni

I had 10 conceptual questions which were really just checking if you did your flashcards/if you spent time to make your own flashcards at least. All I did was flashcards the final 3 days and it paid off handsomely for the July sitting. Adapt + creating flashcards is the way to go. If you are looking for a template to follow for making flashcards - follow the link below and focus on the conceptual ones.

https://quizlet.com/Kyle_Leavitt2/folders/ifm/sets
Old 09-19-2018, 09:56 AM
SOA

Studying for STAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns View Post
First hand experience, TIA is a mess for this exam. I have it now and I hate it. Just finished all the sections. I will be cutting my losses short and sticking to Adapt grinding out like 4 hours a day from now until the exam.

We have about 2 months left. How's everyone's studying? I plan to spend all of this weekend studying in addition to studying after work everyday. Is that already too much too soon? I feel like I have to do this so I don't fail again. Failing sucks.
No, it's not too much too soon. It's better to be over prepared than under prepared.

P FM IFM STAM LTAM SRM PA
Econ VEE Applied Stats VEE Corp Finance VEE
FAP 1 2 3 4 5 IA 6 7 8 FA
APC
Planned FSA Track:

Page generated in 0.19885 seconds with 10 queries

Old 09-19-2018, 02:46 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuary203 View Post
I had 10 conceptual questions which were really just checking if you did your flashcards/if you spent time to make your own flashcards at least. All I did was flashcards the final 3 days and it paid off handsomely for the July sitting. Adapt + creating flashcards is the way to go. If you are looking for a template to follow for making flashcards - follow the link below and focus on the conceptual ones.

https://quizlet.com/Kyle_Leavitt2/folders/ifm/sets
were those 10 mostly for the corp finance area or was it a mix with dervs and option pricing?
Old 09-19-2018, 03:56 PM
SOA

Studying for IFM
Favorite beer: I like girly drinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns View Post
First hand experience, TIA is a mess for this exam. I have it now and I hate it. Just finished all the sections. I will be cutting my losses short and sticking to Adapt grinding out like 4 hours a day from now until the exam.

We have about 2 months left. How's everyone's studying? I plan to spend all of this weekend studying in addition to studying after work everyday. Is that already too much too soon? I feel like I have to do this so I don't fail again. Failing sucks.
Do what you have to do to pass. I finished the material last week and I'm currently grinding out practice problems and will start practice exams at the end of this month. If I have to take three practice exams a week for the next 10 weeks, so be it. I just want to be done with this exam (preferably on my first try)
Old 09-26-2018, 12:37 PM
SOA

College: Purdue University Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
were those 10 mostly for the corp finance area or was it a mix with dervs and option pricing?
mostly corp finance, questions such as find the assumption true/not true about theory x. Hard questions if you didn't know the ins and outs of how everything relates to each other and some obscure facts that you may have glossed over I suppose
Old 09-28-2018, 10:28 AM
SOA

Studying for IFM
Favorite beer: Natty Litey

Does anyone have an idea of how prevalent "General Properties of Options 2" from the CA is on the exam? For those of you unfamiliar this includes Asian, Barrier, Compound, Gap, Exchange, and exotic options.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:33 AM
SOA

For anyone who took the July sitting, what adapt EL does the real exam compare to?
Old 10-03-2018, 11:27 AM
SOA

Studying for STAM
College: Central Michigan University Alumni
Favorite beer: Two-Hearted Ale

Quote:
For anyone who took the July sitting, what adapt EL does the real exam compare to?
I was at about a 6.5 EL after my last practice exam and scored an 8, for whatever that's worth. All depends on what questions you get vs. what your strengths are.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:03 PM
CAS SOA

College: Drake University

Quote:
We did survey our customers about this.

Here is the result:

Take this result with a grain of salt as it is subject to survey bias. Hopefully this information helps answer your question.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:38 PM
CAS

Studying for MAS-I
College: University of South Carolina
Favorite beer: New Belgium La Folie

Finishing the ASM manual either tonight or tomorrow depending on how much brain capacity I have after work. I sit on 11/16 so hopefully ~40 days of ADAPTing will be enough. I'm more worried at this point about how much I've forgotten since I started reading.